The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A new "Thataway"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!! FWIW - I have the 2016 Tundra SR5 and she tows fine on my GB 2670. If memory serves right I do 2200 rpms at 65. Would have to double check. Tow capacity is 10,300#.

Pls advise on your thoughts from going from cat back to mono. Right now I have a hard time seeing that happen for me.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, congratulations on the new THATAWAY, we both miss your old TomCat, and the one before it too. Our cruising desires are different however, we stick a lot closer to home. Had considered selling our house and newer to us 22 but I think I've convinced Sally to stick it out here on our plot next to the water and keep the boat. She wanted to be closer to the kids, now 2 1/2 hours away but that's about right for me.

Stay healthy and happy, best to Marie and the pup too!

Charlie (and Sally)[/img]

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A new "Thataway" Reply with quote

Bob, I read through your post a few times and this is by far the best part:

thataway wrote:
I had improved so much that we began to make more boating plans.

The second best part is this:

thataway wrote:
Here is a photo of our first night aboard at a campground: Great sleep, and another adventure in our lives begins.

The third best part is yet to come...

Congratulations! We are all glad you are sticking around for a long time!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbdba01 wrote:
Excellent!! FWIW - I have the 2016 Tundra SR5 and she tows fine on my GB 2670. If memory serves right I do 2200 rpms at 65. Would have to double check. Tow capacity is 10,300#.

Pls advise on your thoughts from going from cat back to mono. Right now I have a hard time seeing that happen for me.

No question that the cat has the ride at planing speed. The Tom Cat being a planing cat, vs your Glacier Bay, which is a semi displacement boat--is that you will ride better going into a chop, and the Tom Cat will be faster and probably a little better handing down and quartering seas. Both have their advantages. For the most part we will be on rivers and smaller lakes as well as the IcW for the rest of our lives.

The other is the truck. We could not pull the Tom cat with the GMC--yet is does very well with the C Dory25. If I was going to get another truck for the C Dory 25 it would be a Chevy or GMC diesel--mostly because of the Allison Transmission and that the Duramax torque is now up in the high 900 lb range. My Son has a 1794 edition of the Tundra and loves it. It handles the 25 very we'll. If I was to get another Tom Cat we would have gone with a one ton diesel. All in all, I would prefer the Tom cat over the 25, if towing was not an issue. But they will both do about the same things.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"]
jbdba01 wrote:
... My Son has a 1794 edition of the Tundra and loves it. It handles the 25 very we'll. ...

I know that Toyota stuff lasts a long time, but boy!
thataway

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

The 1794 is the luxury upgrade, like Ford King Ranch. 1794, refers to the year that the ranch land purchased by Toyota for their Texas plant, was established by Spanish colonist Juan Ignacio de Casanova.
jbdba01

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
jbdba01 wrote:

No question that the cat has the ride at planing speed. The Tom Cat being a planing cat, vs your Glacier Bay, which is a semi displacement boat--is that you will ride better going into a chop, and the Tom Cat will be faster and probably a little better handing down and quartering seas. Both have their advantages. For the most part we will be on rivers and smaller lakes as well as the IcW for the rest of our lives.

The other is the truck. We could not pull the Tom cat with the GMC--yet is does very well with the C Dory25. If I was going to get another truck for the C Dory 25 it would be a Chevy or GMC diesel--mostly because of the Allison Transmission and that the Duramax torque is now up in the high 900 lb range. My Son has a 1794 edition of the Tundra and loves it. It handles the 25 very we'll. If I was to get another Tom Cat we would have gone with a one ton diesel. All in all, I would prefer the Tom cat over the 25, if towing was not an issue. But they will both do about the same things.

Thanks for the feedback and makes sense. Boat for intended use.

There are some quirks about beam and following seas, but man what a ride. Twice I've been in +25mph winds - once intentional (what is she made of?), once not so much.

I'll be purchasing 2 Oceantamer bean bag chairs shortly and offshore trips are in the works. I did enjoy my first [solo] overnight trip a couple weeks ago. I top out at 40mph - which is good enough for me. However, you're throwing dollar bills out the back at that speed. 26-28 is cruise speed.

Autopilot is in the works too...for now I use the voice activated Rich2000. "Hey Rich take me home." Works like a champ. Cheap too.

Rich is my fishing partner.

Back to the thread...
B&B Burks

City/Region: Green Valley
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new Thataway. We knew it was a happening when we
Saw you last month. Know you will really enjoy her. Just what the Dr. ordered.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&B Burks wrote:
Congratulations on the new Thataway. We knew it was a happening when we
Saw you last month. Know you will really enjoy her. Just what the Dr. ordered.

I believe that your visit was one of the factors, especially for the admiral. Thanks!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness! What a great surprise. I have been off the site for about a week and (missed it every day) and look what happens. I am so glad for you both, Bob you get more room to spread out and more boat to work on and Marie gets a new Airhead. You are both going to enjoy it, and prayers for many more years on the water. You two are an inspiration. Hope to see you at Hontoon next year.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Jake

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
ssobol wrote:

The 1794 is the luxury upgrade, like Ford King Ranch. 1794, refers to the year that the ranch land purchased by Toyota for their Texas plant, was established by Spanish colonist Juan Ignacio de Casanova.

Bob, I think you should change your name to "Encyclopedia". What a wealth of knowledge. May you enjoy many fun filled years in your 25.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:

Bob, I think you should change your name to "Encyclopedia". What a wealth of knowledge. May you enjoy many fun filled years in your 25.

He is the Sheldon (for anyone that has watched Big Bang Theory) of C-Brats!

Dr Bob's mind is amazing!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, but the last few days has been brute force cleaning. First the C Dory 25, including Marie doing all of the upholstery. That was done, when I put the 22 up for sale. Almost immediately I had 2 offers, and so I started "deep cleaning" on the 22. Everything out of the boat, that would come out easily. Scrub down all of the walls under cabinets and overheads....Conclusion; the C Dory 25 has almost 2x the surface area inside.. I just finished the last "hose out and mop dry. Clean boat for new owner! We are putting down underlay pads underneath the bunk cushions on the 25 as we did on the 22. We used cheap closed cell foam back packing pads from Wal Mart.

I tried a different technique for "Grooving" the 3/4" thick starboard I am mounting the two fish finder transducers on. I used a "Fein Saw" 1" wide wood cutting blade (the Fein saw oscillates and will cut flush. I put a grove out 45* 3 horizontal cuts almost all of the way across the 10" piece, and 4 vertical cuts. The area between the 45* outward cuts was cut away. This gave me about a 1/2 Keyway, for the G Flex epoxy to fill on the back of the Starboard piece. I made sure that all of the "keyways" were filled with epoxy before I put the Starboard against the pre-coated hull. I put two screws in the plugs which were installed for the current transducer, which held the piece in place until the epoxy went off. The heads of these screws were counter sunk, so they were flush with the surface.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
We are putting down underlay pads underneath the bunk cushions on the 25 as we did on the 22. We used cheap closed cell foam back packing pads from Wal Mart.

And the reason we are doing this?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that using either insulation pads or a material like "hypervvent" keeps any mold from growing under the V berth cushions. Also seems to decrease the condensation. We take the foam pads up the side walls of the hull. We will have them at least below the shelf in the 25--and probably all of the way to the ceiling. We did that with the 22 and our first 25. It seemed to help in AK--at least if there is condensation on the sides of the hull, it does not run onto the sleeping system.
I also put "Dri Dek" on the bottom of all lockers to keep any items off the hull. Again, these areas are totally clean, except for what falls down under the Dri Dek.

I am trying a cheaper brand in the 25--we will see how it works out. West Marine is $6.29 plus tax, for each 12 x 12 square. The other is less than $3 each. My guess is that the "other" will be much harder plastic--but the reviews say they can but cut with scissors, so cannot be too hard? I'll review them when they arrive, tomorrow...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: