The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Making an offer on C-Dory 22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ehuber

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Making an offer on C-Dory 22 Reply with quote

Hi all, just want to get some advice on a C-Dory 22 Cruiser my wife and I are hoping to buy. I am in the Air Force stationed in Alaska and my wife is a teacher so we don’t have a ton of $$$. We are trying to maximize our time while we are in AK since this is a once in a lifetime place to live and we want to make the most of it. We have owned a bass boat at our previous base but don’t have any experience with ocean boats. We have no doubt that the 22’ cruiser will fit our needs for camping/fishing with 2 adults and 2 toddlers but in your opinion how well would this work with inlaws in town? 4 adults and 2 toddlers, no overnight trips but just a day of cruising and fishing? We would be launching out of Whittier mainly. We have some pretty awesome kids so I think they would be content on a boat for a day or two looking at all the sights and helping dad fish.

Our biggest concern is resale of the boat. It looks like a beautiful, well maintained boat but I am worried that the price might be too high. The sellers listed it at $46k which seems high to me despite all the electronics and low hours. We offered $38k but that did not go over well with them and we were added to their “list of offers.” In your opinion is this boat worth the $46K they are asking? My main concern is that I will have to sell it 3-4 years when I have to move for my job and I don’t want to take a huge loss or have it sit for many months.

Here is the Craigslist link to the boat we are looking at:
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/d/22-ft-dory/6553009544.html

The price for everything is obviously a little higher up here but what do you guys think? Thanks
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hours are low, It has twins OB's, and it sounds like a camperback (canvas), it's on a trailer (might want to be sure that is coming with it.) and It will fit your needs (as long as the kids are not teenagers yet.) AND it has a trailer so why would you have to sell it in 3-4 years. Take it with you. They are called trailer cruisers on purpose.

Welcome here, and take advantage. Lots of help and info here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

homerjack

City/Region: Homer
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems overpriced to me. Compare w recently sold 2007 CD22 Ashley Lynn in Classifieds here. Trouble is CDorys don't come up for sale very often here in AK. Keep in mind that there were very few changes made to CD22s over the years so that an older, well maintained one can sometimes be a great deal. Most CDory owners tend to pamper their vessels. $30k can usually get you into a very nice CD22 w trailer. Decent electronics are much cheaper and better these days.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that yes, the C-Dory may "seem" overpriced, but they do hold their value very well, maybe because they are generally well cared for. AND, they have a tendency to sell quick, so have $$$ ready. That will keep you off that dreaded "Offer list".

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: boat for sale Reply with quote

I saw this boat today driving by his place. The boat is inside of an open sided shed.
My son & I looked at it last year as he was interested in it. Too much $$$$ for him but it is in excellent condition.
I would offer him something with a "4" as the 1st no. liike
$41,495. It has been for sale for several yrs.
4 adults and 2 kids is a load but it can work if you are all good friends and recently showered up. The boat will handle the weight but it may get a little "tight" for 6.
Good luck in your purchase.
Taking it with you after your tour up here is a good idea. I have pulled eight boats up the Alaska Hyw. w/o any problem and 7 have been C-Dory's.

Jack in Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your offer would be about right, maybe even a little high if the boat were in the lower 48. But everything in Alaska is expensive.

David
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking prices are always higher for C-dorys in Alaska. This one has a lot of desirable features, and is clean.

Here's the thing though, it's been for sale for several years? That should tell you everything you need to know about the asking price.

Your offer was fair for this boat in my opinion.

Now 4 adults and 2 kids? No way! This boat is way too small. I'm annoyed just thinking of having that many people on our boat.

We've picked up crab pots, or quick trips with 4 adults and a kid or two and it's ok, but usually I'm bossing people around and telling them where to sit. Not that much fun.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
... That should tell you everything you need to know about the asking price. ....

Maybe the guy doesn't really want to sell it. The wife tells him to get rid of the boat. He puts it for up sale. The wife asks when is he going to sell the boat. He tells the wife "I am. It's not my fault that no one has bought it yet."
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are spot on if the boat is super clean and everything is running. Starting with a 4 is too high, even in AK for a 2002. Yes, the hulls don't change much, but years do add to issues like water intrusion window seals, hatch seals. And motors that just sit, often will have latent issues. Trim tab seals and electronics and other electrical connections on the boat can deteriorate with time.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
... That should tell you everything you need to know about the asking price. ....

Maybe the guy doesn't really want to sell it. The wife tells him to get rid of the boat. He puts it for up sale. The wife asks when is he going to sell the boat. He tells the wife "I am. It's not my fault that no one has bought it yet."

ssobol.........

When talking to the owner last year I got the definite feeling that your observation is correct.

It still is an excellent boat.

Jack in Alaska
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:

ssobol.........

When talking to the owner last year I got the definite feeling that your observation is correct.

It still is an excellent boat.

Jack in Alaska
Driftwood

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bettie
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2007 a few months ago for 32 with trailer.
I then put 2k in the trailer because the brakes were shot and the lights did not work.
Added a heater/stove, new fish finder, downriggers, stereo, and serviced radar for another 15k.
So 46 seems like a fair deal with everything that comes with it as long as it is all working.
I don't like more than 3 adults on the boat or it seems crowded.

Have Fun!
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driftwood wrote:
I bought a 2007 a few months ago for 32 with trailer.
I then put 2k in the trailer because the brakes were shot and the lights did not work.
Added a heater/stove, new fish finder, downriggers, stereo, and serviced radar for another 15k.
So 46 seems like a fair deal with everything that comes with it as long as it is all working.
I don't like more than 3 adults on the boat or it seems crowded.

Have Fun!

And you had $15K of new equipment vs sixteen year old equipment in the Alaskan boat. Just like boats, equipment depreciates. That boat is probably worth 1/3 of new price and so is the extra equipment.

And FWIW, the only reason I am willing to comment on the price of that boat is the OP asked for comments and the boat was advertised on Craigslist, which IMO makes it fair game.

We should never comment on prices advertised on this forum, unless the seller asks for input.

David
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a very reasonable offer IMO. The boat is 16 years old. Maybe gently used, but likely older generation motors (carb. vs. EFI) and likely older generation electronics. And apparently it's been for sale for quite a while? There are owners who don't really care if they sell, or maybe don't take a rational approach to market forces. Could this be such an owner? What if he said he wanted $60K? You see where I'm going here..

I'd move on. The only reason you'd even want to offer in the high 30's on this one is the fact you're in Alaska where everything is likely a bit more expensive. There are other boats out there and $40K is still quite a bit of money, even in the year 2018.

Best of luck in your search!

Mike.

PS: I agree with the above that commentary on boat pricing is not appropriate for boats listed on this site unless feedback is solicited.
Ehuber

City/Region: Anchorage
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback! I will continue my search. I missed a really good deal on a 1995 22 Angler for $20K that was sold after 4 hours this weekend, it came with all the fishing/shrimp gear as well. It seems these boats don’t last long when they are priced right. Thanks again for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: