View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Autopilot Reply with quote

On to the next project. I have big cruising plans this summer and autopilot would make life easier. I have searched the archives and found lots of discussion on Garmin, Raymarine, even TR1. Very little on Intellisteer. Has anyone had experience or an opinion on this model? I have Bay Star hydraulics and this unit should adapt well. I don't need or want route planning or waypoints. I'm looking for a unit that will hold a set course. Thanks.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know intellisteer is not an auto pilot. It is remote steering for a kicker only. At least it was when I last checked them out.
Cheers
Ron
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockC: Well, to hold a set course you I think you'll have to have the AP "talk" to the chartplotter. Unless you mean just pointing the bow where you want to go and then setting the AP to hold that position.

That's what my AP does (Raymarine ST6000 ?). It is a stand alone unit. The previous owner of my boat did not have it networked to any of the chartplotters. It just has a display and I can set a heading. It's good for going straight but ideally it should be networked to a GPS.

I find it very handy if I'm running parallel to the coast and I know that I have a long stretch in a pretty much straight heading. Then I can set the AP and run hands free for like 10 or 15 nm's. Obviously I'm still on watch though! Looking for other boats, buoys, lobster traps, etc.

The way my boat's current AP is setup is sufficient for now but probably next year I'll consider upgrading the entire system. Ideally I should be able to set a course via a chartplotter, not just HOLD my heading!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out Simrad also. I have an old AP16, before the computer went out it held a course pretty good and was networked with my plotter. The advantage that made me choose Simrad was the virtual feed back feature which made the install less complicated and less hardware to purchase. I don't know if the others have a Virtual feedback available now but, it's worth looking into. A friend with a TC255 has the Garmin and has considerable problems with it but, when it did work was as good as advertised.

Gene

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intellisteer is basically an electrical remove steering system--can be hydraulic, accentuator or cable helm driven--not really an auto pilot. There is no compass or GPS interface--so it just "steers" the boat as you direct it to. Most auto pilots will function with right and left steering.

I have always used auto pilots to steer a plotted compass course--sort of old fashion--but it makes you look at the chart (paper or electronic), and then be certain that there are no hazards.

If you have modern electronics there are good reasons to interface your electronics with the autopilot, often just with a NMEA 2000 connector.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Autopilots for slow speed Reply with quote

If you are just moving from place-to-place at moderate to high speed the regular autopilots are great, you'll never want to go back. I agree that most of the time you will take a compass heading and stay with it until you change course, and you should always be watching. If you can't, stop the boat temporarily. I haven't used plotting a course on a chartplotter much though my Garmin will do this.

If you want to troll, (i.e. steer, plot a course, or take a magnetic heading), but very slow, say <2knots, you'll find the typical autopilots won't normally do this, and the ones that do can be incredibly annoying as they move left, right, left, right, and make a lot of noise as they pump large amounts of hydraulic fluid trying to keep a light, flat-bottomed boat with a large "sail").

In most cases, the basic autopilots won't work at all at low speed unless you are going downwind. The problem isn't with the autopilot, it is lack of "steerage" at low speed into and across a wind with a boat (light dory with a high cabin) that doesn't point well. Since my passion is fishing, I've mounted an electric trolling motor on the front of my CD22...54 inch shaft works under most conditions where I would troll and fits nicely onto the bow of the CD22. It is also quiet and fumeless. The saltwater model (Minn kota Terrova 80) I just got to replace my previous freshwater model (not a good idea in saltwater) has an "anchor" mode which will keep the CD22 in the same spot. It seems to work great, particularly when there is just a little wind or just a little tide so it stays pointed in the same direction. I'm sure there are winds and tides that it can't keep up with, since it will only move the boat about 2 knots. I wonder why I don't see more of these on Puget Sound boats that want to fish.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several autopilots on my boats and my major heart burn is with Raymarine...not the product but all the extra's you have to pay a fortune to make the darn thing work properly....$149 for a 6' connecting cable is crazy...just look at any marine catalog and you will be amazed..and nothing else works..so you have to buy the extra's..

What I am talking about is the darn SeaTalk (tm) connectors..

Joel
SEA3PO
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Autopilots for slow speed Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
If you are just moving from place-to-place at moderate to high speed the regular autopilots are great, you'll never want to go back. ....*

In most cases, the basic autopilots won't work at all at low speed unless you are going downwind. The problem isn't with the autopilot, it is lack of "steerage" at low speed into and across a wind with a boat (light dory with a high cabin) that doesn't point well.... (Stuff clipped.)

Yes, there may be a learning curve, but I have used my RayMarine AP in slow speeds, even to hold the boat stationary in a wind /wave situation for 15 to 20 minutes. Mostly I use AP on a "Go this Direction" mode, but it does multiple waypoints well. It is ghe newer RM, and if I recall right, it is EV 100. I use it mostly in my slow cruising, and I love it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I don't really see the worth of autopilots on small boats. I don't have one, but even with the autopilot on, you'd have to sit there and watch for floating obstacles and other boats, so you might as well steer while you're at it. If I need to momentarily do something else, I can just let go of the steering wheel and step away. In a C-Dory you are rarely out of reach of the helm if you are inside the cabin. I get nervous quite quickly if the boat is moving and I am not actively watching what is going on outside the boat, especially at planing speed.

If I get tired of sitting, I stand in the middle (behind the v-berth entry) and steer from that position.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
IMO, I don't really see the worth of autopilots on small boats. I don't have one, but even with the autopilot on, you'd have to sit there and watch for floating obstacles and other boats, so you might as well steer while you're at it. If I need to momentarily do something else, I can just let go of the steering wheel and step away. In a C-Dory you are rarely out of reach of the helm if you are inside the cabin. I get nervous quite quickly if the boat is moving and I am not actively watching what is going on outside the boat, especially at planing speed.

If I get tired of sitting, I stand in the middle (behind the v-berth entry) and steer from that position.

Once you have one, you'll never wanna go back to NOT having one. Pretty amazing tool for captains of any size boat.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Once you have one, you'll never wanna go back to NOT having one. Pretty amazing tool for captains of any size boat.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=Once you have one, you'll never wanna go back to NOT having one. Pretty amazing tool for captains of any size boat.[/quote]

Have to agree with that 100 percent no more crazy Ivans.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once you have one, you'll never wanna go back to NOT having one

I think that depends on where you boat and what kind of boating you do. I had auto pilots on almost every one of my sailboats, where we rarely went more than 7 knots, and mostly voyaged in open oceans. In the C Dorys an other small power boats I have never had an auto pilot, or really felt the need for one. The reason was that mostly I was boating on ICW, Rivers, and in crowded areas. There are too many turns, traffic and obstructions to use the auto pilot. (My next boat may have an autopilot, because it already has one--I would not take it out). If you are going on long stretches of water, with little traffic or debris--then the auto pilot makes a lot of sense. For example in the PNW going from Sequim to the San Juans--makes sense. From Anacortes, to Friday harbor, probably not as important.

A friend of mine is "delivering" his "new to him" 56 foot motor yacht from Little Rock AK to Pickwick (Down Arkansas, up the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee rivers) as I type this message. He has not used the auto pilot because of the traffic/and debris. The yacht only burns 50 gallons of diesel an hour! Something like .37 miles per gallon.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

To me the primary benefits of having an autopilot on a small boat are:
1) It will track a course far better than I can, especially in the fog. That saves time and fuel.
2) I free up some energy that would be spent steering and allows me to concentrate more on watching the radar and looking out the window.
3) I can program it to do courses that aid in fishing - e.g. spiral out when I've lost a school of tuna or rock fish or zig-zag (salmon often strike the outside rod on a turn).

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never give up my autopilot. True, one still has to watch too, but it's a whole different ball park when you don't have to also steer nearly every second.

Perhaps I feel so strongly because I single-hand a lot. When single-handing, giving yourself 30 to 60 seconds to secure a line, or pull in a bumper, or whatever is a God-send. I can even do stuff in the cockpit or foredeck for minutes at a time as long as I glance forward (works fine out the front windows) every 30 to 60 seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: