View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: I need ideas for a Southern cruise! Reply with quote

I’ve got about 12 days off starting Monday 4/23. I’m in Dallas TX.
I need a good “river loop” or best coastal cruise that I can do without a lot of planning and prep!
I have a kid in Tuscaloosa, maybe Black Warrior? TennTom? GCICW?
Any and all Brat suggestions considered, the 23 Venture is ready to go.
What say the group??

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not a lot of loops in the South. One would be starting down from Eufalia Al, and ending up at Montgomery AL, see: The Halcyon cruise="Great Horseshoe" Down the Chattahoochee to the Apalachicola, West on the GCICW, to Mobile, then up the Alabama to Montgomery--rent a car and go pick up your rig. This would be a full trip--i Sever C Brats have done this.

Another trip, would be Up the Atchafalaya River from Morgan City, (Port Allen Lock) and down the Mississippi to New Orleans, and back along the ICW to Morgan City....Problem with this one is no fuel stops--you would have to get someone to help jerry jug fuel at near the top of Atchafalaya River, Miss. Junction. Also the Mississippi is at a high current state, lots of debris, and no good anchorages...at this stage. Tex of Bixby's club might comment on this one.

My personal feeling is that the lower part of the Tombigbee is not all that interesting--

Our favorite boating in FL is the St. John's river--and you could take I 10 to Jacksonville, and go up as far as you like--there are some areas where you don't repeat if you do a "loop" Tom on Sea Otter knows a lot more about the St. John's than we do.

I don't really think that a run on the GC ICW and then coming back on the outside is that good an idea, when there may be some time constraint. Weather conditions this time of the year can be rough in the gulf--and in the larger bays.

We think there is some very nice cruising in our part of the World--from LuLu's HomePort on the GCICW down toward Apalachicola. About 220 miles with a lot of great places to explore. But then you either have to re-track your tracks (which we have done a number of times to go to the Apalachicola gatherings in the past--go down one week come back the next--and then one year we repeated the whole process the next weekend for the Sea Food Festival (in the fall). But we had the Tom Cat, and it was a one or two day run, at the most to Apalachicola.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob!
I’ve done the GCICW from Gulfport to Apalachicola and back, might just do that again!
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want something a l'il different in the south; i.e. the Bahamas?
Adventurous?

Try Ft Lauderdale, FL to Bimini, then Nassau and on to the Exumas!

If you've never been there, it can be an 'other worldly' experience,
good or bad...

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Been there. Done that."

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Adventurous?

good or bad...

Aye.

When you had your C Dory did you do it?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr Bob you like the St John's river better than SW Florida? The St Pete to Ft Myers have always been my favorite even over the Key but I've never been to St John's river.

If true then I need to check it out on my next adventure.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
Hey Dr Bob you like the St John's river better than SW Florida? The St Pete to Ft Myers have always been my favorite even over the Key but I've never been to St John's river.

If true then I need to check it out on my next adventure.

Yes, I do like St. John's better than the St. Pete area. There are lots of great trips in S Florida, on both coasts and the keys. (Also the Bahamas). But only 12 days available from Dallas--which is one very long day from our part the Gulf Coast, and we are usually a day and a half drive from Dallas--this cuts into his time.

Another option is to stay North and do some of the upper Rivers, like the Tennessee--a closer drive, and generally nice weather this time of year. Probably not enough time to do the Cumberland Tennessee Loop--but something to think of. There is great cruising just on Pickwick and on up the chain to Wheeler that alone could be a nice 10 to 12 day trip. Black Warrior is not as often traveled, but can be a nice lazy cruise. You could an easy 10 days around our neck of the woods; Starting in Orange Beach, do Perdido Bay's Bayous, Wolf Bay, Robertson, Soldier's Creek, our house on Bayou Marcus, up the Perdido River, then along the ICW to Ono Island, Fort McCrae, Little Sabine, Big Sabine, then back track to Palafox Pier, then explore Pensacola, Escambia and East Bay--not too far to go each day, and a lot of nice places rarely visited. There was a low speed "Poker Run" up near Bagdad/Milton, where each of 7 stops had a 15 minute talk by a UWF student on the history. This used to be the boat building/repair capital of the South, and there are many old ship wrecks up there. Lots of History from Indian, Spanish, to French colonialism in this area.
Foggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Adventurous?

good or bad...

Aye.

When you had your C Dory did you do it?

Only previously in sailbotes. Didn't want additional risk of contaminated fuel
(water, etc) apparently prevalent there with increased consumption in a powerbote.

Aye.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could add the unique goal on this cruise that “We anchored on the bay side of every island in the Gulf Islands National Seashore and walked part of the Gulf shore of each.” You’ve seen them all in your previous Gulfport to App cruise.
We have completed 95% of our goal to hike every public Gulf beach between Key West and New Orleans, although it took 35 years so far. Anclote Key, Caladesi and Cayo Costa in the plans.
Launch at Jones Park Marina, Gulfport, MS.
http://www.gulfportmarina.com/
Follow me using Satellite view on Active Captain and the ‘measure path’ tool. I concur with almost every comment and anchorage reviews; in fact I authored some of them.
Beach on West Ship Island (pier is for the ferry and Park Service only). Path to Gulf well marked, beach concessions and snack shop there. No glass allowed, rangers check your coolers. Must be off Island by sunset. After sunset no one there to enforce that. OK to anchor as close in as you can get.
Next up, Beach at east or west tip East Ship Island, only 2.1 miles of Gulf beach.
Next up, Horn Island is the crown jewel. No condos in sight. No anchoring within 500 feet of the marked Osprey nests, but OK to beach near but not on the Ranger Pier to walk over to the Gulf side between cordoned areas. The Gulf side trailhead is usually marked with some kind of debris pile…NOTE IT CAREFULLY, IT CAN BE EASY TO MISS ON YOUR RETURN. Cell coverage iffy. There are only 2 other unmarked cross-island trails requiring local knowledge, just ask. The interior is filled with thorn bushes and deep lagoons with gators. No water, no services, part-time ranger, pristine wilderness.
Round Island is now just overwashed rubble, skp it and the un-named small island in Horn Island Pass, its off limits due to bird nesting and is dredged channel sand.
Next up, Pettit Bois Island. You can see the un-marked cross island trail mid island and a tongue of deep water, but the lights of the Pascagoula shipyard and refinery detract from a ‘wilderness’ feel.
Next up the west tip of Dauphin Island is a wildlife refuge and nice Gulf hike but not part of GINS system.
Crossing Mobile bay can be rough esp with a north wind, often calmer soon after sunrise and before PM heating cranks up the sea breeze around noon on any day that gets over 80 degrees.
You’ll pass The Wharf and LuLu’s (and the Thataway compound) before Big Lagoon and Johnson Beach. The second anchorage to the east on the Active Captain satellite map allows hiking the Gulf side, to the west to Pensacola Pass is often deserted. DO NOT use the “ Big Lagoon North” anchorage as that is the barge fuel dock for the NAS Pensacola fuel farm. That captain often has to do some truly alarming maneuvers to wrestle his loads over there. Zoom in on the “Naval Air Station Trout Point Nature Trail” boardwalk, that’s where we do our 6-mile daily power walk so we see this going on every few days. You know how 5 short horn blasts ‘’or more” is a danger signal for idiot boaters who don’t own a VHF radio? Our personal record to date was hearing 27 fast blasts (not just 5) when 2 jet skis were interfering with the fuel barge skipper on a windy day. PS the mis-labelled “Toll Booth” is the NAS back gate so do NOT offer the officer your credit card or she might ask ‘is this a bribe?’ and spread-eagle you.
Ft McRae cove is also nice on weekdays but can be party-like crowds on weekends. If you like gospel music, this is not the place to hear it. Be there on a Tues or Wed to see Blue Angels practice, usually at 1130, lasts 50 minutes.
http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam/documents/2018%20Schedule%203.29.18.pdf
Unlike the Miss section of GINS, the Florida section does not cordon off the Osprey nests. This is because there is a different Federal Government for Florida than for Mississippi…at least that’s what the Ranger told me when I asked. This section does have a lot more Least Tern nesting in the dunes, so only use designated cross-over paths or where you can see storm-tide overwash areas. The eggs are invisible in the sand. If terns are dive-bombing you while projectiling bird #2 loads on your head, you are too close. They are amazingly accurate at this.
Next up, avoid the “Ft Pickens” anchorage, lots of wakes and it’s often used for a scuba class. Take the next one to the east, marked “Santa Rosa Island” which has gulf access via a designated walk-over to the parking lot. There are a few rocks in the shallows but easy to see and dodge them.
See Pensacola before the next and last GINS anchorage, labelled as ‘Navarre Pavilions’ which is really the Opal Beach section. Restrooms and outside cold showers in season. If you cross by road you’ll have to show your Natl Parks pass or pay at the Gulf side parking area. I’ve never had Rangers ask boaters for this but I suppose they could.
Santa Rosa Island east of the Highway 399 bridge is now all off-limits Eglin AFB to Destin Pass. When we were both Active Duty and stationed there in the early 80’s we hiked it and sailed a Hobie-16 there. It’s the most beautiful area of all before the USAF built some weird looking towers.
So there you have my suggestion on making this cruise more unique than 99.999% of cruisers. Very few people have hiked the Gulf side of every island in GINS on their cruise. Very few people know how extensive GINS actually is. You pay taxes. It’s yours. Enjoy it before it gets too hot.
Consider a rental car or UHaul F150 for a 1-way cruise with only 2 weeks.
PM me if any questions or to exchange phone numbers.
Happy Cruising!
John

gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
get a used hardcover for $15

https://www.amazon.com/Horn-Plenty-Seasons-Island-Wilderness/dp/1578066816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524446297&sr=8-1&keywords=horn+of+plenty+book

A fascinating history of Horn Island (we lived in Ocean Springs, MS for 22 years before moving to PNS last year). Pre-Katrina, but still very good. April did a lot of post truamatic psychology after Katrina there after the 30 ft vertical storm surge. During our 22 years there, Eileen and I met and/or cared for a bunch of these STRONG characters she describes. You won't see anywhere else how prior to a 1700 hurricane Cat, West Ship, East Ship, Horn, Pettit Bois, and Dauphin Islands were all one long island.
Very Cool book and history. Get one!
John
Easyvictor.14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info as usual!
I think I’m going to restart my Great Loop in Jacksonville. I’m trying to find a marina with trailer storage for a week or so while I cruise the St Johns, it’s harder than I thought to find a ramp, a marina and a place to park rig for a few days!
I’m leaving DFW tomorrow, I’ll be in JAX by Wednesday morning to do the river.
I’ll keep the Brats updated!
Foggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, not much interest in the Bahamas. Oh well...

How 'bout real different real adventurous very south? You'll need more time and
a different boat. Might I suggest the 'M/N Via Australis'* for a jaunt around Cape
Horn? Weather permitting of course.

I'm looking at my Diploma for doing it 07 Mar 2010. Even got to go ashore on
the Cape and to record my position south** and copy the memorial poem*** to sea
men who perished crossing Cape Horn, Patagonia, Tierra Del Fuego.

* www.australis.com Click it. Scroll down to Excursiones CABO DE HORNOS
mas info to see pics of this incredible place. Regardez the albatross memorial.

** Lat S 65*68'52", Long W 67*17'22"

Quote:
I am the albatross who
awaits you at the end of the world.

I am the forgotten soul of the dead seamen
who sailed across Cape Horn from all the
seas of the world.

But, they have not died in the fury of the waves,
today they fly on my wings, towards eternity, in
the last crevice of the antarctic winds.

---Sara Vial

Aye.
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree, the lower St John is a great river cruise. Old Florida, but only 60 minutes west of the ICW. Tom and Joyce Shulke on C-Otter are the local experts on the St John, amazing local knowlege and advice.
Skip JAX to Astor, its miles wide, full of crab traps, not interesting.
I’d suggest storing your rig at Astor Marine (a mile from the river, but secure).
Astor Marine
Boat Sale & Service
• Hours: Closed. Open tomorrow at 8 am (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
• Phone: (352) 759-3655
• Address: 24535 State Road 40, Astor, FL 32102

We combined a side trip to Eluethera via FLL, (out…no, way, way out…Bahamas) with our Hontoon Gathering and the owner met us on a Sunday when they were closed to retrieve the boat/trailer. She refused a generous tip. It’s that kind of Old Florida place.
There are prolonged sections where manatees are common with a SLOW MIN WAKE zones which means 5-6MPH in your boat. A few mid-channel areas with a 25MPH max, strictly enforced. Bring binoculars to see the signs and your slow, scenic black- river mojo.
Spend a few days min at Hontoon Island State Park Marina. A ferry shuttles from the parking lot (where you can store your trailer and truck) 8am to 6pm.
Idle from there to near the Red/80 NAV AID and go down the cut-off to the Hontoon Dead River and you’ll see amazing birds and wildlife on the way back to the Marina.
Tom took our group to Butchers Bend to overnight…manatees everywhere.
Sanford marina is nice; great German restaurant and market.
The Garmin Vision chip is JAX to Bahamas.
Enjoy!
PM Tom! They are the local experts!
John

Last edited by gulfcoast john on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times we have done the St. John's we left the truck and trailer at Ed Stone Park--decent ramp, and many of us have left our rigs there without issue for weeks. The Sheriff deputy patrols regularly. I would not leave your truck and trailer at the Hontoon parking lot--that is for people who are using the park. Some volunteers who work at the park, have been given special permission to park trucks and trailers there.

I agree that the Upper St. John's is great--You can do many trips, with one way up and the other way down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: