The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LED interior and nav lights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: LED interior and nav lights Reply with quote

I have been looking at some LED replacements for the cabin lights. This place has a 1.5in by 1.5in PCB with 36 LEDs on it and I think it will fit in the standard light fixtures. Has anyone done this or thought about it?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/other_bulbs.htm

There is also an Aussie site that has a mongo looking LED anchor light replacement. I don't think this will fit in the CD anchor light fixture but might try to find a way I could use one of these.

http://www.ledshoponline.com/marine_led.htm

The main reasons for this is long life and low power consumption.

Let me know what you think,
Steve
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! I'm planning on installing LED cabin lights from Cabela's. I was looking at LED navigation lights but was shocked at the cost. So I went with the Aqua signal lights that the factory used in 1998. I figured if the red and green are on when I have the motor running (thus suppling juice to the lamps). I'm using a LED head lamp for night fishing ops right now and have found that I wouldn't want a bright interior light wile under way. ( it makes it very difficult see the horizon) . For camping LEDs would be perfection. If you get them tell us how the worked for you.

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

I don't know how much light the 36 LED unit puts out, it doesn't really say in the specifications. The current draw of 123 milliamps is extremely low, but do you really need to get the current usage down to about 1/10th amp? You've probably got two 90-100 amp-hr batteries on board, and if you left it on all night, you couldn't even begin to dent one of them.

0.123 amp x 12 hours = 1.44 amp-hours

I've found that fluorescent lights are a real workable solution for getting enough light to really light up the cabin brightly without much drain.

Most of the fixtures have either one or two 8-watt tubes in them, and with two tubes lit up, can light up a CD-22 cabin just like an office. The 8 watt tubes draw .67 amps each, or only 1.34 amps for the paired fixture. Use the two tube lamp for 4 hours and you only pull down

1.34 amps x 4 hours = 5.36 amp-hours

hardly a strain on a single 90+ amp-hour house battery.

The cost of fluorescent fixtures cost from about $35 on up, and are not much more than the unit you're considering. Since they're mounted inside, you could use units from an RV supply house to avoid the marine store markup game.

The only possible reservation I might have about them would be that the fluorescent tube power supply might create some interference with other electronic devices, but for cabin use at night when the navigation tools are turned off, I doubt there would be any conflict. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Electrical and wiring Reply with quote

Seawolf Have you had any issues with short lamp life because of being in a rough setting. ie. lots of pounding on a rough trip.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo-

No issues with shortened lamp life due to pounding, although I don't have that much really rough weather on inland lakes, and I don't operate the fluorescent lamps other than at anchor at night. Never had to replace a bulb, power supply, or fixture in 8 years. Joe.
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Well I bought some of the LED lights to check out (since LEDs are so cool).

After doing some research Joe is correct about fluorescents being the most light output for smallest current drain. The newer cold cathode fluorescents have a few advantages. They are not as prone to breakage due to vibration or boat pounding, they do not heat up, and they are dimmable, and they are supposed to last very long.

The RV lights may be less expensive because they may not have the arc/spark proof swtiches that the marine versions have. Gas buildup in C-Dorys is usually not a problem unless you eat the wrong stuff.

The stock cabin lights I have draw about .9 amp. I have 2 in the cabin and one in the Vberth. I have not checked the anchor light to see what that bulb is. I also don't have any idea how much juice the wallas uses.

As Joe said the 36 LED draws only .123amp. I put it in the light over the table. I don't think it was 9 times less light but it was significantly less light. I could eat by it but the incandescent bulb is much brighter.

I then put it in the light in the vberth. It looks like it is a good fit there. There seems to be plenty of light to read while in bed. It does not light the whole area as well but I may add another light on the other side anyway.

I have not been out overnight since I got these so I don't know how they will work in usage. If anyone else tries any low draw lights let us know.

Steve
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Gonna need a bit of help here pulling a name and boat name... but the gentleman was at the Blakely Island 05 Gathering. If not him, he knew someone who had some real neat LED lights that were on a "tape" or string of lights. As I recall, had some mounted up under the roof flange and looked great. Pat and Patty had some on their 22 also maybe...? Met too many folks to be able to remember every name/boat. I have a business card of his, but put it in the basket on the table in FreeByrd.
I really remember a set up where you could throw a switch left or right for white or red lights which would really assist you in maintaining your night vision. Can anyone get us closer to who I am talking about??? He may also have some input.
Byrdman.... in the dark
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that I am waiting to look at at the Seattle Boat Show are new LED lights that the venders may have. This technology and production/demand are changing fast, esp in the "white light" bulbs. The cost should be coming down. I spent over $35 for a white navigation /anchor light bulb a year and a half ago and it's not the brightest bulb out there! Idea Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi,
Which anchor light did you buy?
I have found about three different ones online. One form Australia, one from China, and don't remember the other one.

Steve
Robbi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I'm going to have to look today when I am on the boat. I can't remember! Rolling Eyes I'll let you know. Robbi
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick - you are searching for Doug on Liberty Call - we had those LEDs on our 22, and they were way cool. More decorative than functional though. A PM to Doug will get you the details.

Byrdman wrote:
OK, Gonna need a bit of help here pulling a name and boat name... but the gentleman was at the Blakely Island 05 Gathering. If not him, he knew someone who had some real neat LED lights that were on a "tape" or string of lights. As I recall, had some mounted up under the roof flange and looked great. Pat and Patty had some on their 22 also maybe...? Met too many folks to be able to remember every name/boat. I have a business card of his, but put it in the basket on the table in FreeByrd.
I really remember a set up where you could throw a switch left or right for white or red lights which would really assist you in maintaining your night vision. Can anyone get us closer to who I am talking about??? He may also have some input.
Byrdman.... in the dark

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Alternative anchor light... Reply with quote

It's not an LED, but a few weeks ago I modified one of Davis Instruments lights (see: http://davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=3300 ) to work as an anchor light. We've used it several nights on the current trip and it works very well, uses VERY little electricity, and gives a nice, bright anchor light. (I'm keeping the C-Dory anchor light as a backup.)

I found a PVC adapter that fits the David light perfectly. Mounted the PVC/light assembly to a small piece of starboard, then took a strip of velco and attached to the top of the radar antenna, and run the cigarette lighter cord through the helm window. Slick. I might be able to leave it in place while enroute, but prefer to remove it while we're traveling and reinstall when we anchor. I'll try to get a picture of it in the next few days if anyone's interested.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,
I would like to see your set-up. I have one of those lights that I bought several years ago from the guy that started making them. Then he sold to Davis. I have used it inside but have not tried it as an anchor light.

The real test is to anchor with other CDs and take the dingy so you can look back and compare with the stock anchor lights that others have.

Steve
Robbi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother uses that light as an anchor light on his sail boat. It works great. The nice thing is that it turns off at daylight. Robbi
capneo

City/Region: san juan capistrano
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never bought from either, but try theledlight.com (the"nova"light lokks interesting to me) and cetsolar.com (led, cold cathode flourescent, and a cool solar/battery vent). All this stuff ain't cheap, but I'm an electrician and I like the idea of stuff (leds) never(in a human lifetime,anyway) breaking/burning-out (super reliable don't ever have to think about it again hopefully). Flourescents are great, but dealing with them often I can say they do need a tube or a ballast or a starter or something every so often, where I don't see that with led's. I like it that led's don't delay or have to warm up like some flourescents do when initially turned on, but those are small points. Thanks all, for this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: