View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Intersting Vessel Reply with quote

Been watching this Craigslist ad for the past year or so. It is located not far from where we live. Not interested personally but curious what others might think about it.

https://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/d/2014-steel-union-jack-34/6533847340.html
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just hitch up and tow that baby home! Time for a " Heck I can haul it wif my F-150" thread?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, and less than the price of a used CD-25 (or even CD-22). Not as portable though.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always hard to evaluate steel boats from photos. The best have welds which are not visible. The steel is bead blasted and coated with epoxy on receipt--and welds are coated with epoxy, as soon as finished and ground fair. You don't know the quality of the welds. There is an axiom--never drill a hole in a steel boat to attach anything--this boat has a lot of holes.

I have seen steel boats which you could not distinguish from a finely molded and finished fiberglass boat. The better the finish, the more defects are noticeable.

The interior fit and finish is a bit on the "rustic" side--knotty pine is not the best wood for a marine environment.

The Westerbeke 70 was a fairly limited production engine--Marinized Perkins on a Mazda block. It can be a good engine, and 3000 hours is not a lot, if it was well cared for...which raises the question, of why it was taken out. It the prior boat was underpowered--then OK. But we don't know if that engine had problems--if non, a reasonable power plant.

Photo of a well finished "Union Jack" by Glenn L

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I believe Westerbeke produced both a diesel and a gas engine from that Mazda industrial engine block. I could not find anything in that CL blerb indicating which one this boat had/has. If gas, 3000 hours might be kinda high.

For the record, I installed a gas Westerbeke 70 in my Bartender 20.5 ten years ago, ran it a couple hundred hours before I sold the boat, and it was a sweet, detuned engine, normally aspirated and easy to work on, with a very good conversion.

Just for yucks, here it is over the engine logs, for initial test fit.

http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/89000978

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

The helm is set up for twins? What am I missing here?

Unlike a home built airplane that has FAA certification, I don't believe that a home built boat requires USCG cert, State cert, a NA stamp, welding certification, etc. You put it in the water and see if the welds hold. It seems to be priced with that in mind.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Bob,

The helm is set up for twins? What am I missing here?

Unlike a home built airplane that has FAA certification, I don't believe that a home built boat requires USCG cert, State cert, a NA stamp, welding certification, etc. You put it in the water and see if the welds hold. It seems to be priced with that in mind.

Mark

Mark, you are correct that there are two control binnacles at the helm station. I have no idea why--since there is a single diesel on the midline, with a single drive shaft going to a single prop in the other photos. The plans for the "Union Jack" describe her as a semi displacement vessel, and don't seem to have twin screw options.

One option that many trawlers have is to put in an auxiliary engine--usually a separate shaft and prop, or a auxiliary drive to the main shaft (chain, belt or hydraulic). I don't see any evidence of that in the photos or description here. But looking at the stern view, there is apparently an outboard bracket welded there, so I presume that he was planning to put an outboard auxiliary.

One item which set alarm bells off is photo #11: Note the drive shaft--two universal joints, jury rigged of the output of the transmission, and especially the small piece of shaft in the middle...looks like problems to me down the line or sooner.

Yes, if it floats you can take it on the water...I suspect that the welds are good enough for what it is--but there are several issues--one is the type of rod used vs the steel in the plating, and corrosion. What if there is a blow to the side of the boat, will the welds hold?

At one time we had a slip right next to Long Beach Alamitos Bay marine ship yard. It was a popular place for Home built boats to be launched. There were some real abortions--including several that sank at the dock within the first 48 hours. I remember one 45 footer, which had basically 2x4 frames, and lattice planks (5/16" x 1.5"), covered by a single layer of fiberglass cloth set in epoxy. It sank the first night.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...there is apparently an outboard bracket welded there, so I presume that he was planning to put an outboard auxiliary...

And now we are back to the "single vs twin" debate. Wink Laughing

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it cost over $160k to make in 2014 then why is it being sold for $40k?? Even if the guy is just cutting his losses and getting out, it's still a huge red flag IMO.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you’ve spent your entire life in commission sales you get to see a wide range of negotiation tactics and there is no shortage of advice from friends or experts on how to get the best deal. But what if something is priced well below what would seem to be a reasonable price? That’s when things really get interesting. I call it: “The Perplexing, Paranoid Pricing Practice.”
If I ever win the lottery my fantasy is to buy a brand new hundred thousand dollar luxury car and put it on craigs list for 10 grand “AS IS, NO WARRANTY” and watch people go nuts over what the deal with it is. My bet is it would never sell.

It's something in the water!

Last edited by Fairbro on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
. . . My bet is it would never sell.

Well it will now! Laughing

Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice any sizeable scuppers that would be capable of shedding heavy seas. Question
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollygaggin wrote:
I didn't notice any sizeable scuppers that would be capable of shedding heavy seas. :?:

Good point--there are a couple of medium size scuppers along the aft side decks, but even though there seem to be scuppers thru the hull for the cockpit--it is almost level with the sliding glass window/door--which I would suspect is not re-inforced or tempered glass--and water might well get into the main saloon there. On the other hand, this is not a boat for heavy weather. There was a 25 foot "ocean going" trawler built in New Zealand a few years ago--and it made one short ocean passage before it was shipped in Puget sound deck load. Really small power boats don't do that well in heavy ocean weather.

Boojum 25 underway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: