The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Noob C Dory question #3 – bow thrusters.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluscount

City/Region: Rathdrum (CDA)
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Draken
Photos: Draken
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Noob C Dory question #3 – bow thrusters. Reply with quote

Since I like to slow troll on large lakes, I’m intrigued with the new GPS autopilot bow thrusters (Min Kota Terrova for example.) A “back of the envelope” calculation says that 24v/80 lb. thrust might be ok for a 22 footer and 36v/112 lb. thrust might be ok for a 25 footer.

Advantages: Cheaper that a real autopilot. Saves gas. Quiet. Can go very slow or hold position.

Disadvantages: ?

I know there was another thread on this but I wonder if anyone has a new opinion.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are talking about is a trolling motor, not a bow thruster. A bow thruster is built into the hull, and a prop centered in a tunnel.

Both trolling motors and bow thrusters use a fair amount of power. I have a 24 volt (about 140# of batteries) 85# thruster on my 18' Caracal Cat--center console fishing boat.

The larger thruster will require 36 volts, or 3 batteries, in the 210# range. There has to be a battery charger, and heavy cables for the power. Nothing is "free".

Yes, the trolling motors will do all of this. These boats have a lot more windage than a skiff--and thus in calm conditions 80 # thrust may be enough, but if the wind kicks up--no. My dinghy motor is a Torqeedo 1003, about a 3 HP electric motor, with a lithium ion battery. It will push a 22 at about 3 mph for a short distance--slower--far longer.

There are several "Brats" who have these trolling motors on the 22's--not sure about a 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pluscount

City/Region: Rathdrum (CDA)
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Draken
Photos: Draken
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
What you are talking about is a trolling motor, not a bow thruster. A bow thruster is built into the hull, and a prop centered in a tunnel.

My noobieness is showing.

The larger thruster will require 36 volts, or 3 batteries, in the 210# range. There has to be a battery charger, and heavy cables for the power. Nothing is "free".

Thanks. that all makes sense.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Electric trolling motor on bow of CD22 Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Minn kova Terrova 24 volt saltwater motor mounted on to the bow of my CD22. I have the 54 inch shaft, and it fits from short of the port side of the bow across the front deck, and doesn't protrude. Since it is down when I am fishing from the bow deck it isn't in the way. It doesn't affect the hatch at all.

I use two 31 series AGM batteries to produce the 24 volts under the port front seat and a 2 channel 20 amp charger there. I have carried a 2000 watt generator on occasion to charge in case needed on a long day but didn't need it. I plan to install two 100 watt solar panels on the roof soon.

Those few CD people that have this are kind of like the ones with autopilots. Once you set it up you won't want to ever not have it. Yes it is good for trolling, perhaps essential in for very slow trolling in wind since the CD22 cabin is a great sail and autopilots can have trouble maintaining course at slow speed with wind. However, the trolling motor takes the white knuckles out of docking in wind or tide too. Drop the motor, and you can spin on a dime, move forward or backward, and, in combination with the motor, sideways left or right.

If you get i-Pilot Link you can actually have it take you right into your slip if there is no tide or wind, and if you need to stop to wait for something, you hit the Anchor mode and it will keep you right on the same spot until you want to move again. Utterly cool.

After you get used to it, it is clearly better than a bow thruster, except if you mount it on the port side you can't easily dock on the port side. I dock in my slip on the starboard side, which is more common for CD owners.

Very easy to mount, just be careful to follow directions on other pages for drilling larger holes, cutting out some of the balsa core, and refilling with epoxy and redrilling so that you don't have danger of water getting into the balsa core.

Earlier I wanted to get an Ulterra, since I could deploy and stow without getting on the bow, but I got the Terrova as i would have had to cut out a little bit of the railing for the straight sweep of the Ulterra, something I now wish I had gone ahead and done. My back isn't getting any younger, but with the new doohicky that takes some of the weight of deployment, the Terrova isn't a problem to deploy or to stow.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option that will work for your trolling slow and bow thruster use is a pair of twins--- yup, twin 40's will do, shut one down for your slow ride, then running both, use opposing throttles when docking for your bow thruster experience.

Just sayin Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia also uses one on the bow of his CD 19 "Ari". There is a photo or two in his album.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our members in Ontario installed a bow thruster on his 2008 22' CD. Not sure how it worked out but you can see it here http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=2985837&checked_boats=2985837&hosturl=bridgeyachts&&ywo=bridgeyachts&&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=75589&url=

Regards, Rob

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't provide any details or photos of the thruster.

I do like what he did to line the walls of the berth. Might have to look into doing that myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: