The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water System Problem on CD25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Water System Problem on CD25 Reply with quote

OK, starting to panic, heading out tomorrow for four days. The water in the plastic tank tasted awful (new plastic taste), so I drained it and refilled it last night. This morning went to drain and refill again (flushing). Opened the faucet and turned on the water pressure breaker, but nothing comes out. I am thinking, OK, the hot water tank has to refill first. I let the pump run for maybe 15 minutes or more, as the Jabsco manual says "self-priming" and "can run dry." There is no spot where you can visually confirm that water is going into the hot water tank (it is empty), but after running the pump, when I tried to put more cold water in the tank, it was full, indicating nothing had been pumped...the C-Dory so-called manual has NO information in it other than manufacturer's manuals for the individual components - nothing about how the systems operate. So I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if some component is not working...any ideas? (I emailed Jeff and Scott early this morning with a request that somebody call me, but I would love to solve this problem without depending on a call back).

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Make sure that the drain from the hot water tank is closed, then open the sink faucet (hot and cold). You should hear the pump run as it seeks prime and also air coming from the faucet fixture. It sometimes takes several minutes in our boat to evacuate the air in the system.

Good luck, Smile love your new boat,enjoyed the pictures of the manufacturing process.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I had that happen to me a couple of times. I put my mouth over the fill tube with the pump running and blew to build some pressure in the tank. It worked , I think you get an air lock with the impeller. Try it.
Capt D

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat

Been there, done that a lot. While I'm not sure of the exact reason, I think it has to do with trapped air.
I do what My IRA did.

A teaspoon of baking soda in the fresh water tank can help get rid of that plastic taste.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat -

It happens to me any time the tank goes empty. I find it easiest to apply negative pressure at the sink spigot. No matter how you do it, it's gonna suck or blow, so don't let your tank go dry again. Don't worry about the hot water, because once the pump suction is primed, the water heater (being on the pressure side) will fill just fine.

We have a GE brand wall mount filter with a replaceable element on the pressure side of the system. Makes a huge improvement on the water quality. Ours has a separate pump for the hot water, so we use another one of those filters between the pump and the heater. The things are about $30 at Home D, and the element (yearly replace) is about ten bucks.

Now get out there and suck on your spigot.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the new microwave is on, the tv and stereo going, the toaster toasting, and Patty has the hair dryer blowing --- PAT -- Hook up that generator!!! otherwise, how can the electric pump ... pump? Hmmmm!! Eyes are rolling, Pat.
Have a great weekend, you guys. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend at Lankford -- Yee Ha! The waters of the Chesapeake are full of rivilets from all the quaking crabs fearing your arrival.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you've gotten advice on how to prime that tank, here's a suggestion from years of RVing/sailing. Before drinking any water from that tank, you may want to sterilize it with a small bit of bleach in the water (not sure of your tank size, but we used less than 1/4 cup in a 110 gal tank). You should be able to smell the bleach as the water runs. Run all that out and refill with fresh. Run all that out. If there is still any bleach smell, put a bit of baking soda in the tank. From then on, if you suspect any water not being fresh, a tablespoon of bleach should take care of that. Be sure you are filling the tank with a hose for potable water (NOT the green plastic hoses you use for your lawn! That will guarantee that nasty smell/taste). Even with all that, we use bottled water to drink as much as possible.

Enjoy that new boat!

Still scheming,
James TXSD
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Patty has the hair dryer blowing

OUCH! Bill, Bill, Bill---you saw me wash my hair from a pan of hot water over the side of the boat. No hair dryer here!! I am hurt. (I'm really ashamed about the microwave---really!) But I do like the thought of trembling crabs. See you soon. (Isn't that a delicious thought?)
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, chapter one of the real C-Dory 25 Manual - the so-called "self-priming" water pressure pump isn't! Couldn't cut it with negative pressure - all that did was fill my 12 volt air pump (in vacuum mode) up with water! For positive pressure I would not blow in the fill tube - there is no place in the world with more bacteria than the inside of a human mouth. Solution, as Tyboo says, is either negative pressure at the faucet or positive pressure upstream. What better positive pressure than plain old water pressure? Solution was to fill the tank, put the hose down the tube, seal it off with a rag, thumb over the overflow outlet, and turn the hose on. Presto, we have water priming the pump, and coming out the faucet...
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Patty -- didn't mean to imply that you can't (or don't) wash hair over the side and then let the air dry it -- merely concerned that with the microwave, you (and others in the family) might be considering the joys of an electric hair dryer.
Oh, and next time we're anchoring next to Daydream, we'll probably want to raft up to heat up the leftovers ... Razz
So, to make amends, I owe you one local home-brew beer from the Eastern Shore (and you can mess up what little hair I have left Confused ) ((And when you have a hair-dryer aboard, can I raft up for a puff or two??))
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had let Sea Angel 's tank run dry for winterization and a couple over uses... I drained it cleaning. What I had done was fill my gas tank and filed the water tank. There was enough pressure from the fulling of the water tank with the pump on and source water supply on that I have not had the problem with prime since. I have since done this with a half full fuel tank with the same results and not ever having to block the overflow vent. This basic function was given before, so if there is still a problem.. could there be a crimp or restriction in the supply line to the pump, or a weak pump?...

I hope the factory, or a second source, will come up with a way of keeping track of the quantity of fresh and black water in our CD25's tanks. It was a 'crap shoot' with the 200 mile run to Lankfort from Va Beach on how much??? There was well water a plenty, but not stuff you want to put in your tank. We did find some 'city' water with some searching.

The Va. Beach to Lankford [abt 500NM total] trip was with heavy fog, storms, water spouts, 4'-6' seas and is another story for another forum.... GREAT trip and all were safe... Great boat! GREAT time and people!

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net

Last edited by Sea Angel on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Pressure reducer Reply with quote

I've had the same thing on my CD25 and other RVes. You are right negative
pressure sucks and can collaps hoses causing more problems than it solves.
MILD positive pressure always seems to work for me. Use a pressure reducing valve (wall mart ) or the more common leekey rag method.
CoolSmile john CoolSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: