The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LOOKING FOR A C-DORY IN MAINE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarathu

City/Region: Bar Harbor
State or Province: ME
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: LOOKING FOR A C-DORY IN MAINE Reply with quote

Any model but would prefer a 22 or 23.

This boat is very difficult to find in Maine, or nearby.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As so often is said--you are probably going to have to travel to find a 22. Transportation is fairly in-expensive. Air plane tickets are fairly cheap. Boats sell faster in Washington than they do in main. Boats on the East and Gulf Coast sell slower than on the West Coast--that is in your favor.

There will be boats in NH, VA, NC, Ga and FL, When you see one, either get a lot of photos and a survey, or find if there is a local C Brat who can look at the boat for you. I have bought all of my C Dorys at least 1000 miles from where I live.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is spot on, and as you peruse the site you will see that most boats are not purchased from the next block, city or often the nest state. Have the money ready in hand as the time between your phone call and the next may only be minutes. A phone call, an overnight security check, and the C-BRATS code of honor will get you toward the top of the lineup. Then you do the survey and make arrangements for inspection, (flight or drive). Often, the right boat is going to be a ways away. go for it if it sounds right.

Best in your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathu,
Who knows where you will find one as they say, but soon one will be for sale in Portsmouth, VA, as new boat is coming within a week or so.

zarathu

City/Region: Bar Harbor
State or Province: ME
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Turns out that for many reasons a 22 is out for us Reply with quote

So.... we are now looking for a 16.

Costs piled up too much mostly due to the fact that we could not tow it with our 3500 lb towing limit. This required someone else to tow and store and maintain(or buy a $15000+ truck). And it also required us to switch out the standard Honda for a Suzuki or Yamaha because of no Honda service nearby.

So for too many reasons we are now looking for a “16" somewhere in New England.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have to start somewhere. Best in your search.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: River Horse
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Shipping Costs Reply with quote

Whether you buy a 16 or a 22, I have had excellent results with UShip (uship.com). After inputting the to/from shipping information you can get no-obligation bids for shipping a boat anywhere in the Country from any number of Transport Companies. You can review their feedback, rating, equipment and give them feedback after the boat is shipped.

Capt Mac Daniel
Flounder Gigging Charters
Amelia Island, Florida 32034
http://www.floundergigging.com
Google-rated #1 for Flounder Gigging
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
(904) 277-3050

C-DORY 22 CRUISER FOR SALE - $23,500
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=26616
Twin Honda Outboards, EZ Loader Trailer,
Anchor Windlass, Built-in Gas Tanks,
Electric Wipers, New Dual Batteries, etc
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Canby, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a 23, Hayden Sears has one for sale in Lincolnville. There’s a thread here by an agent, but I would talk directly to him if I were you.

I have contact info for him. I don’t believe he is on the site much these days.

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turns out that for many reasons a 22 is out for us Reply with quote

zarathu wrote:
So.... we are now looking for a 16.

Costs piled up too much mostly due to the fact that we could not tow it with our 3500 lb towing limit. This required someone else to tow and store and maintain(or buy a $15000+ truck). And it also required us to switch out the standard Honda for a Suzuki or Yamaha because of no Honda service nearby.

So for too many reasons we are now looking for a “16" somewhere in New England.

There is a huge difference in the utility of the 16 vs the 22. What do you want to do with the boat? If you just want to put around Bar Harbor--then the 16 would be fine...if it is more extended cruising or even day trips, consider the 22 or 19. Also keep the boat in a marina, if you don't have a tow vehicle.
ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 16 posted for sale. It is in CA, but at a good price. Might make an interesting road trip. You try it out on a bunch of different bodies of water on the trip back to Maine.

The OP in Maine said that they can't accept a Honda motor because of no local service provider. If it were me, that is not something I'd be worried about.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
There is a 16 posted for sale. It is in CA, but at a good price. Might make an interesting road trip. You try it out on a bunch of different bodies of water on the trip back to Maine.

The OP in Maine said that they can't accept a Honda motor because of no local service provider. If it were me, that is not something I'd be worried about.

On the contrary, unless he is a good mechanic and wants to do all his own stuff.
And if he is in Maine and considering going into Canada, there is no Canada Honda service that will do USA Honda parts or service, at least on the west coast, (BC). Take a USA Honda into Canada and you are on your own. Consider Yamaha as a prime alternative, worldwide, parts and service. Of course, your milage could vary Crook

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

On the contrary, unless he is a good mechanic and wants to do all his own stuff.

For the most part the Honda maintenance is minimal and is pretty much DIY (IMO), but that's just me.

BTW, the Honda Marine website says that there is a Honda service provider less than 20 miles from Bar Harbor. That is about 1/2 the distance to my nearest service center.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half the World depends on various outboards to make a living and for transport. Very few of these areas have a "Service center" or "Dealer". Both Suzuki and Yamaha have flooded the market in these areas at prices far below what we pay in the US (We probably subsidize these parts of the World in more than one way!). For the most part mechanics don't find outboards much of a challenge. We always carried a bunch of spare plugs, gasket materials and some basic filters on our long distance cruising voyages. Nothing makes a "native" happier than getting that 15 or 25 hp outboard running again, so he does not have to paddle the 20 miles to the nearest village!

Unfortunately the larger motors have more complicated sensors and injectors--the small motors --including some on the 16's any marine mechanic can handle. No reason for a service center--just a shop manual and a supply of parts plus a few metric wrenches.
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda outboard parts are readily available from Boats.net or even Amazon.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing personal against Honda. What I am stating is pretty common knowledge among PNW boaters who "cross the line" into Canada. There is documentation here on this site of two specific incidents of USA Honda dis-service in Canada, one of which involved flying back to Seattle from Port Hardy, and retrieving the owners truck and pulling his empty trailer back up the island to bring the boat home to his mechanic, (which IIRC), was in Anacortes for a less than $200 part.

From my observations on the northern half of Vancouver Island, Yamaha has pretty close to 50% of the outboard market. Yes, there are Honda's, Merc's, Evanrude's, Suzi's and Tahotsu, but they add up to the other half of the outboard market.

Sure you can get parts from Amazon, if you know which part to order, but you have to get them through Custom to get to you in Bella Bella or Strawberry Point. And then you have to be the mechanic. Routine maintenance is one thing, broke down in a back corner of an out of the way bay is another.

Just things I wanted to know about when and before I bought a boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: