ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven a lot in the UK where traffic circles are quite common. Some are even just painted circles in the middle of a large intersection. IMO they make driving much more interesting than the typical stop and go driving you usually find.

I think they're great myself. There are a few in my area that replaced traditional intersections with stop lights. These used to have massive backups at busy times. No there are only limited occasions when backups occur and the back up is much smaller in size.

The only drawback is that a traffic circle takes up a lot more space than a traditional intersection. However, it is easier to join multiple roads at one junction.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Anacortes and drive this traffic circle all the time. I think it is great. Works very well; however, I'm not surprised that accidents are occurring.

This circle is unusual since it has 2 lanes of traffic going around the circle. It's a great solution if you pay attention; unfortunately too many drivers don't pay attention, and many don't even seem to be using their brains much. I suspect the main source of accidents is that folks who are in the inner circle peel off in their chosen direction without thinking that, unlike most traffic circles, this one has an outer circle too. So such a driver turns across this outer circle right in front of another vehicle.

These "double lane" circles are not difficult, but they do take some advanced planning about how you are going to enter and exit the circle. With a single lane circle, once you're in the circle you can forget other cars; not so with a double lane circle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: