State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DW wrote:
Now I have to go try it out.

Before you do, watch the video at 2:30, where a car coming from the east turns the wrong direction and goes clockwise, setting up the possibility of a head on collision. In fact, it "exits" into the oncoming north-bound lane, setting up for a head on collision just out of camera. Fortunately, it just happened to be when the traffic was light. Also note that almost every vehicle that enters in an outside lane crosses over the line into the inside lane at some point during the rotation. Some even completely change lanes for a moment. While this isn't a problem in light traffic, it can be dangerous if they are next to you and don't understand that they need to stay in their lane.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DW

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wicked Pissah
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
DW wrote:
Now I have to go try it out.

Before you do, watch the video at 2:30, where a car coming from the east turns the wrong direction and goes clockwise, setting up the possibility of a head on collision. In fact, it "exits" into the oncoming north-bound lane, setting up for a head on collision just out of camera. Fortunately, it just happened to be when the traffic was light. Also note that almost every vehicle that enters in an outside lane crosses over the line into the inside lane at some point during the rotation. Some even completely change lanes for a moment. While this isn't a problem in light traffic, it can be dangerous if they are next to you and don't understand that they need to stay in their lane.

Mark

Mark,

See my response on page 3 of this thread.

DW
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through there twice in the last few days, pulling the boat on a trailer. First time through I remeber thinking the signage was confusing. Second time, I followed a 53 foot semi. Believe me, the lane marking were pointless there. He used the whole circle going from west bound toward Anacortes to south towards Whidbey. I was coming from Anacortes, saw what was going to happen and yielded to a full stop to let him through. Personally, I don't like circles, but I known they are supposed to make for better traffic flow.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

If its not on your radar, it should be ... Fish N' Chips at San Juan lanes (bowling alley) in Anacortes. Voted best in A-town for 20 years running
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great improvement over the back ups that were there before. Other the completely moron going the wrong way , you cant fix stupid, every one is doing just fine. Go back in a month and record it again. Willing to bet it will be a lot smoother and faster.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Harvey,

If its not on your radar, it should be ... Fish N' Chips at San Juan lanes (bowling alley) in Anacortes. Voted best in A-town for 20 years running

Alright, Thanks Dwight. I will add it to my "radar list". Always up for a new try.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been thru there ~3-4 times now and it is an improvement, particularly going west to Anacortes and in light traffic but think of this scenario.....

Before the traffic circle I remember long lines of traffic queuing back on highway 20 wanting to head south to Whidbey Island. When there is this same traffic, they will enter the circle and cross in front (with the right of way) of the traffic leaving Anacortes (maybe a ferry just let their load off) wanting to head east bound on 20. This traffic could not enter the traffic circle to continue east unless some nice person allowed them to enter.

Maybe this situation is the prefect storm or maybe not. I guess no traffic solution is ever perfect.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

I have seen a little bit of the scenario you mention. One item that mitigates that is the traffic light (east) at the golf course intersection. That light fires frequently as semis leave the refinery. That gives a brief break to the Burlington --> Oak Harbor flow into the circle
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nah Wink,

I'd go to the Brown Lantern for Fish n' Chips. I could be wrong, or maybe it's changed, I only tried the bowling alley once....the Brown many times. If I remember right, the bowling alley breads its F&Cs; whereas the Brown uses batter. I far prefer batter, so that might determine my views. YMMV.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the requisite hating period required of all curmudgeons like myself, I have grown to like almost every traffic circle installed in my vicinity (many now). I can think of only one in my accustomed driving vicinity (out many, many installed) that have made matters worse rather than better.

I must give the traffic engineers credit here because I can think of no other roadway design that causes such an immediate and visceral dislike from so many. The negativity the actual engineers must overcome or ignore, time and time again, only to be proven correct time and time again, must be disheartening.

Also, a traffic circle of the kind being installed in Anacortes is not a "traffic calming" device. There are some kinds of circles, typically installed at neighbor hood intersections, that are intended for "calming," but that is not the case here.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that when the traffic circles were first built in my area I was not a fan. I thought they would lead to problems and more traffic but I was wrong. There are at least 6 , off the top of my head, in the Marysville area. Two are on highway 9. But after 6 years of useing them daily , you cant leave my house with out hitting at least one, they are great. I tow a 27ft cdory , which is 42 ft on the trailer with a full size PU truck and have no problems getting thur any of them.

As far as switching lanes in the circle. That is just poor planning and lack of training which will come with time. If you look at the circle you just need to be in the right lane ahead of time. And yes traffic coming into the circle has to stop for cars in the circle and merge. Put so do car entering a highway ( well that is something that the good people of Washington have a hard time with anyhow).

What I like the most about this circle is that thru traffic from the east and south do not even have to enter the circle but use the by passes lanes. This was designed better then I thought it would be.
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article in the Anacortes newspaper about all the accidents now occurring at the Sharps Corner traffic circle compared to before the traffic circle was installed.

We drove thru it yesterday with that in mind and it seems like having a 2 lane traffic circle causes additional confusion.
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article in the Anacortes newspaper about all the accidents now occurring at the Sharps Corner traffic circle compared to before the traffic circle was installed.

We drove thru it yesterday with that in mind and it seems like having a 2 lane traffic circle causes additional confusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: