The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Powder coating flaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Powder coating flaking Reply with quote

I have done several searches but here is my question:
The inside window trim on my 2013 CD 25 gets corrosion behind the paint mostly around the ss screws. I have now noticed the windshield wiper motor housings look like they have the corrosion behind the paint too. I think most of us have that around the screws, ss into aluminum, but how about the motors? CoolSmile

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBlalock-

Hi!

I've not had noticeable corrosion on my wiper motors, but here's my 2 cents on the problem, hoping that it can provide some clues to solving yours.

Of course, the SS into aluminum will corrode because of the difference in metals on the electromotive scale.

However, the rate is dependent on a number of things, including humidity, salt water and/or salt ions in the air, temperature, electrical grounding to the boat and/or the water/sea, and in the case of the electrical motors and systems, the presence of operating electrical voltage and run time.

The wiper motor itself is a complex machine of several different metal alloys and a "rust (corrosion) bucket" waiting to happen.

Is the motor mounted inside the cabin or outside?

Is the boat moored in the water or dry stored? In salt air? High humidity and/or temperature? Washed down after use?

Is the boat electrically connected to the grid when moored or in storage?

Any other stressful conditions?

Thee are several ways to control corrosion that I'm familiar with.

In sailboats, masts, which contain both aluminum alloy, SS, Monel, and other metals, zinc chromate paste is used to help insulate/isolate the metals from each other, such as where fasteners (like rivets) are used.

Also, targets of corrosion in boats can be sprayed with anti-corrosion sprays like Boe-Shield, and electrical connections coated with dielectric grease.

Another standard method to protect different metals from each other when used together is to link them all together (ground them all), then connect them to a sacrificial anode made of a more active metal like zinc, and it let be the one that corrodes away, such as in outboard motors, inboards, and boat systems in general. Different metals are used for anodes in fresh, salt, and brackish water.

Then, of course, there are the obvious ways to help limit corrosion, such as through washing down/flushing after using, dry storage, etc.

Good Luck working on your problem. I hope these ideas will help you and others deal with corrosion problems wherever they occur.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the rate is dependent on a number of things, including humidity, salt water and/or salt ions in the air, temperature, electrical grounding to the boat and/or the water/sea, and in the case of the electrical motors and systems, the presence of operating electrical voltage and run time.
Well I live on the SE coast of NC so the heat, salt air, humidity, ions and whatever all reside here.

The wiper motor itself is a complex machine of several different metal alloys and a "rust (corrosion) bucket" waiting to happen.
The motors are inside and not in line with any spray through an open window.

Is the motor mounted inside the cabin or outside?

Is the boat moored in the water or dry stored? In salt air? High humidity and/or temperature? Washed down after use?
The boat is stored outside on a boat lift and not plugged into shore power.

Is the boat electrically connected to the grid when moored or in storage?

Any other stressful conditions?
[b]None. Finale lives a very good life if I do say so. ICW traffic, 100 ft away, can get stressful.
[/b]

Benton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: