Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swfvi

City/Region: Gulf Islands
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Do any brats use marine charts? Reply with quote

As we had our first real Spring day here on the West Coast, my thinking turned to boating. I do seem to be allowed create a poll, but I am wondering how many brats still use marine charts to navigate with. How many of us carry them on board and how many actually use them, at least part of the time, as either their principal method of navigation or, more likely, as an aid to a chart plotter or other electronic device? We use them as a supplement/back up to the Raymarine that came with the boat. Ours are not up to date but still useful as Vancouver Island does not seem to move about very often, although I know this is not correct navigational etiquette. Anyway, what is the state of the marine chart for C-Brats?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry paper charts, or charts on the computer. We use them mostly for planing purposes (along with Active Captain). Our actual navigation is with a chart plotter. However, I can think of instances where we might use the charts. Also if there is any question on the chart plotter, the paper charts come out.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I navigate with the Navionics charts on my chart plotter. I also use MxMariner on a tablet which uses NOAA charts (the charts are downloaded for offline use). You can also install charts from NZ, Brazil, and UK. If the tablet has GPS, this app can be used as a backup plotter. It can download and display the ActiveCaptain database and is good for planning.

I may also carry the Waterway Guides for some areas (e.g. Chesapeake Bay).

On a CD22 there isn't a lot of room to store and use large charts, where as a tablet can easily hold the charts for the entire country.

Usually I have this app in two tablets and my phone when I cruise.
Saxe Point

City/Region: Sooke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry paper charts on my boat but I don’t use them. I use my chart plotter. I expect that most boaters do the same.

I carry the charts in the event of chart plotter failure or loss of electrical power - and because Canadian law seems to require it.

But I’ve been fortunate and have never been deprived of an operable chart plotter. I wonder how often that happens? Got to be exceedingly rare.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the Gulf Islands often in the summer months from Crescent Beach.

I love looking at my paper chart for the big picture before I go, but use Navionics as I go

1988 22' Angler
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Charts Reply with quote

Coastal Explorer on the laptop, but the chart book is right handy. Wink
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use the charts on my chart plotter (Garmin GPSMAP 840), but I also carry paper charts for most everywhere I boat and do ocassionally refer to them as a larger view or as backup to my plotter. As a note when I was with the airlines before retirement one of our guys noticed that our navigation electronics was not showing the decent sized mountain just a bit off the end of a Reno runway! (He reported it and a correction in the next update was made!) Our electronics are only as accurate as the computers make them and that kind of goes for charts also. Personally I believe in the motto use all that is available to you! Colby. P.s. I should note I travel a lot in unfamiliar areas also. But even in larger bodies of water I’m familiar with I still use the paper charts as stated above.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

In places that I've never been I mark my position on the chart every 1/2 hour. It gives me peace of mind.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ever since I observed my electronic chart plotted vessel on shore paralleling
my actual position off shore.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "Stuff happens."
Grandpa used to say, "Nothing like knowing where you are the old fashioned way."

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with paper charts is that the information they contain can be many, many years old, even if you just bought them. With electronic charts there is at least the possibility that they are more recently updated. Some chart companies even have a mechanism for users to submit data from their chartplotters to update the charts used by others.

Since tides are fairly well understood and predictable, another possibility with electronic charts (but which I have not seen implemented) is to show real-time water depths based on location and tide condition. One could even have a time slider to show the water depth at a particular time in the future (or past).

For a C-Dory this feature might not be that useful, but for some others it could be very handy.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in the Sea of Cortez, Garmin e-Charts are way off, Navionics mostly right on. A good local cruising guide with charts of anchorages, approach waypoints and pictures is also very useful. No traditional paper charts on Deja La, I carried them for 15 years on our last sailboat, never used them.
island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
We boat in southern Georgian Bay/30,000 islands. The bottom is granite and very unforgiving. In addition, water depths can go from 50' to 1' in the length of the boat. An offsetting advantage is that the water is very clear so shoals can be seen........if the light is right......and if someone is watching......
Therefore, in waters which are not very familiar, whoever is at the helm watches the gps [Raymarine, came w boat], and the other watches the paper charts. Both use eyeballs as well. In my experience, most boaters up there who have intact lower units use a similar approach.
Maybe the results of your survey will be highly dependent on where the respondents do their boating?
andy

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. No room on board. My biggest flat area is the V berth and a chart would barely fit even if the berth were completely cleaned off, which it never is.

But last year when returning from the Powell River CBGT, I got my chart plotter goofed up with colors reversed, depths in fathoms, etc., so I hit the reset button. It took about 10 minutes to reboot and I realized that I hadn't looked at my compass for months. I was in the middle of the Straights off of Whaletown and I had a bit of vertigo. I had a general idea of south, but I hadn't looked ahead on the plotter at the shoals I would be going through because the plotter would simply show me the way through when I arrived.

With old school compass and chart, there are no battery problems, reception issues, fuses to blow. I realized just how dependent I was on the plotter and that I needed to pay a little more attention to "primary" navigation skills. I could plot course lines with the plotter when at anchor, write down the info in my log, and use my helm compass and a hand bearing compass to follow what I plotted, but I've never taken the time to do that after I got Navionics. It's just "beep" and good to go. Hopefully.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: