The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cold Weather Boating
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love that heater. There is no smell and the reason we bought it is because it says "For indoor use"...like tents, campers, etc. It warms up the boat easily and only set us back 80 bucks. You can get them at most any hardware store, I bet. Cabela's has 'em, too. Depending on how much you use it, and whether on low or high setting, a 1lb bottle of propane lasts 2 or 3 trips out fishing. We always have 2 or 3 extras in the boat at all times. It has an automatic shutoff if it tips over, as well as a low O2 sensor and will shut off if that is a problem. We love it.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
hughpenk

City/Region: Waterford--Intersection of Hudson River/Chaimplain Canal and Mohawk River Erie Canal
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: CD 16 (hughpenk)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman, you said to tilt the motor down when you get home to drain the water out. What if the boat is left in the water and the air temp is less than 32? Do I leave the motor in the water and not tilt it up when I leave it over night? There are some winters here in upstate NY when the Hudson does not freeze since it is moving.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have found that is useful is a 12V electric blanket. The colder half (I mean better half AKA wife) will put it over her on while we are cruising/trolling and that really adds to her comfort level. In the evening, we use them to pre-heat the bedding in the v-berth prior to hitting the hay. They shut off automatically after 30/45 mins. Got our at Cabelas.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hughpenk,

I just finished an in-depth 6 week Alaskan water training course that included one day of training with the local outboard mechanical genius. His statement on your motor question was for saltwater users, but he heavily recommended that the motor be left in the fully down position. According to him, very little marine growth occurs in the winter months in an cold area. He stated that if you keep you boat out of the water, you should also keep the motor in the fully down position or else water would be trapped around the hub area and will freeze, cracking the aluminum housing around the hub. Very expensive!

He also stated that if you happen to have left your motor in the up position during freezing temperature, that you should lower the motor down into the water (again, saltwater) and let it sit there for 15 minutes for it to thaw before starting the engine.

As a side note, he stated that the most frequent problem he has seen in his 30 plus years is outboards that have been dropped over the side and recovered. He said he knew one couple that did this nine times with the SAME motor and that he was able to recover the motor every time.

As to longevity, his recommendation will warm the hearts of Red Fox and Bill and El as well, - use the hell out of it!
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concurr with Chivita. The motor should be left down.

If it isn't left down, then it needs to be put down and not started until the ice that may be in the water pump can be thawed...

sally's sister

City/Region: chesapeake bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: sallys sister
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: condensation and cold weather Reply with quote

Just putting in a thought here.

We have been on Sally's Sister a few times when the outside temp at night has dropped to about 40. Most of the time we were plugged in, using a ceramic cube heater . We also have a small battery operation West Marine fan, two speeds...measures about 8 by 8 by 2. We prop it up in the hatchway between v berth and cabin and let it run on low all night. It seems to considerably reduce the condensation . The only wetness we tend to find in the am is all the way forward near the chain locker.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavita, great post Thumbs Up Last time I was out on my sisters boat there in Sitka, we had freezing spray! (brrrrrr) had the little Honda 2000 gen crankin, and runnin a small electric heater to keep MissLilys feet from freezing Crook (no this was not a nice enclosed C-D)
Bet this thread will rack up some innerestin replies Xmas Eek
Frozen Santa Xmas LOL

IE: .... make use of the old mountaineer's trick -- Hot water bottle in the cold sleeping bag Smile CoolSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: