The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cold Weather Boating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Cold Weather Boating Reply with quote

I'm looking for some advice about C-Dorys in the cold. Things to do or not to do when Temps drop in the 20s. Tricks ect. I'm planning on boating until Ice prevents me from launching. With all the experiance of you Alaska guys and you West Coast Boater , I'm hoping to pick your brains.

Thanks
Christopher Bulovsky
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Weather Boating Reply with quote

Don't look at me...most of the time its +/- 15° of 50° here, spring, summer, winter and fall...

Chris Bulovsky wrote:
I'm looking for some advice about C-Dorys in the cold. Things to do or not to do when Temps drop in the 20s. Tricks ect. I'm planning on boating until Ice prevents me from launching. With all the experiance of you Alaska guys and you West Coast Boater , I'm hoping to pick your brains.

Thanks
Christopher Bulovsky

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris --

Do you have a Wallas stove, or other good heater? A heater makes it comfortable for us down into the 20's. A good stove to brew up a cuppa, or some hot chocolate, or tea sure is a help. Have to be careful not to make too much steam from the boiling water, though, or you'll be fighting condensation.

The hardest part of staying aboard into the winter months, for us, is the darkness. Gets dark so early and light so late that the long nights get to be a pain -- some good books, reading lights, and that warm stove help.

If we're at a marina overnight, a 110v hookup is nice to run a good electric heater and maintain power to run all the lights late and early.

But, if we're just out for the day, then warm socks are all we need with the Wallas stove heating the cabin.

Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardy bunch, midwesterners...

Don't ask how I know this, but be sure your steering is working well BEFORE you put it in reverse... Shocked

Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's getting damn cold here in So. Cal.........dipping down into the low 60's. Might have to start up the Wallas. Gotta thow another log on the fire. Expecting temps to plunge down into the fiftys tonight. BRRRR!!

Coast Guard mandates we wear exposure suits on patrol, when water temp is below 60 degrees. Greater danger of heat prostration from them. Might have to jump into the water to cool off.

Mike - Sealife

Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last winter one of the Delta fishermen posted that he was going to quit fishing for awhile since it had been 40 degrees three days in a row. I agreed with him that that was darn cold, until I realized he was talking forty above.
But what about trailering when it is well below freezing? Is this extra stressful on hull, is the fiberglass more brittle?

Rabidfish
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything... Moves a little slower. And yes, it's more brittle, but not so much it cant be used. You do need to make certain precautions. Most have more to do with safety, and less about the boat itself. Remember, our water freezes at 32 degrees, locking up everything it touches. The saltwater doesn't.

Have a plan for things to go bad, and practice it. Make certain everyone on the boat knows what to do. (This should be the case anyways. Those in Power Squadron know this) When it's below freezing, you have little time if you get wet. Hypothermia can kill, never doubt that. The questions is, if you go overboard, can you get back in? if so, how? I boat 12 months out of the year, but I never go out alone during the winter. If I did, I would seriously think about having a boarding ladder in place all the time. I would also wear a PFD all the time.(SOSpenders are great for this) If you are going to be in the cockpit, consider an extended tether. Make sure you have a heat source. You cant light a fire if you cant hold a match in wet, shaking hands. Have dry clothes and blankets in the boat also.

Going over in the winter won't be any fun, but a little planning and preparation can keep a bad day from being a complete catastrophe!
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple things off the top-a-my-noggin…

Your windlass will probably give you fits winding the rope back into its place, cuz, there will be a frozen spot in it, or worse yet… the next day (after your first night at anchor) the whole bundle might be too stiff; might want to just coil it on the bow for winter trips!

Use some de-ice stuff in your tanks! I have used “Heat” no problems with it at all, hard to kill a good Yamaha!
If you should want to get out on the ice pack, make sure you drag your dinghy, or better yet---push it, wherever you tread! If yer luck and find that really dense ice pack,, than you can pretty much just go on-foot, with out a dinghy. Ya gotta be a little dinghy in the first place (like me) but its so worth the memory-making!

It helps tons, to have a carpet lined cabin! At least you won’t get showered with condensation!

And don't forget the "CC" Smile (Canadian Club---not the boat Shocked ) (just kidding) Wink
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love winter boating. Here in VA, "winter" ain't nothing compared to RedFox country, but there's nobody out on the water, and that's what makes it so nice. I suppose that's what makes it a little riskier too. If you just think about a worst case scenario before you go out, you'll do the things you need to do. Picture yourself out there with a dead engine or soaking wet in cold water, and imagine what you wish you would have done but didn't: file a float plan with someone reliable, have a working radio, have a cell phone with a charged battery in a waterproof bag, have a spare set of dry clothes, have a blanket (or better yet, a cold weather sleeping bag), have something to make a fire with, etc. -- you get the idea. If you get dunked in cold water, you need to get out quick. Once you get out, you need to get warm. If you're stranded somewhere, you need to be able to call for help and stay warm until help arrives. If you just walk through the steps in your head beforehand, you'll probably have what you need to make any incident a good story rather than a tragedy.

The risk involved is much less if you don't go out alone. However, I don't find a lot of takers on my boating invitations in mid February, and I frankly cherish the solitude of those winter expeditions -- so I can't say don't do it without being a hypocrite. But I always let someone know where I'm going and when I plan to be back, and if I change my mind about the route or return time, I call them.

Have fun!

Rabidfish
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go! Otter states it so much better than I...

Especially that "float plan" part. It's a good idea for any time of year!

If you need a mate, call me... I'd love to see your neck of the proverbial "woods". I am available almost anytime after Christmas. Maybe we'll get a couple more together for an "Artic Blast" or as we call it... "Beat the Heat" cruise!

PS.. I'm dying to see your boat up close. You did a great job!
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you hgave done one heck of a nice job restoring Scout.
My top two things to do or not do with my boat in the winter months are:

DO NOT put it away...

DO use it Wink

I hope this helps.

Make sure your outboards are in the lowered and level position when you get home so water will run out the drains and not freeze.

Use a cover to help keep rain and snow out of your boat and check it often. The C-Dory seems to always have water in the cockpit that either the front factory bilge or the secondary rear bilge thjat I put in just can't seen to remove when the boat is sitting still. Sometimes I go pump th ewater out but the best way is to go use it. A little forward momentum and that rear bilge pump and things are dry and happy again.
I have a Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater and it is nice to have in the winter.
I hope this helps...

Ray

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Chris Bulovsky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I knew I could get some good info from the BRATS. Thanks so much.
The weather here has been oddly warm for Nov. Most boats have been pulled out for the season. Thanks again for the praise on my humble boat project.

Christopher S. Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Way to go, on your project man Thumbs Up Love

Couple nudder things (aka: ideas Idea ) watch your footing on them gunnels, they literally get slick as snot, when frozen Crook bring a bat to knock-off the freezing-spray you may collect.
My neckathewoods, weather is unpredictable, you may find yourself having to beat against a 40 knot blow just to get home (passage canal Crook ) not good Thumbs Down
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we only go out on winter days when it is not real windy and water is fairly calm...which is not a whole lot, but as an example, last year we trolled for kings twice in Jan and the water temp was 41F. Just watch the weather, be prepared and use good common sense. Make sure someone knows whare you are going. We keep toasty with our little propane heater from Mr Heater...the Portable Buddy that runs on 1lb bottles.

If the sun is out, you'll be surprised at how warm it will make the inside of a boat, even one with just a canvas top like our Non-CD.

Plenty of folks up here use their boats all year round...both fiberglass and aluminum like ours. Folks troll and hunt deer and bear from them. and just pull up to the beach and go to it.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Chris Bulovsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick 416rigby-

I trust your happy with the Mr. Heater buddy unit. Do they stink at all? And has the emissions been an issue?? I like how little they cost compared to the Wallas heaters or to the force 10 unit. I've been out in the 40's so far and think the boat cabin is more like a sun room.....very nice. Much warmer than sitting in a tree waiting for deer in the 10's or 20's. Ice fishing I use a Coleman stove in a Ice shack. They are usually pretty drafty and CO has not been a problem yet. Plus it makes something warm to drink. But they do melt fishing line a little to easy.

Thanks for the info
Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: