HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flounder for Salmon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Flounder for Salmon Reply with quote

Is anyone in the Pacific NW interested in trading some fresh, caught-in-the-wild Flounder (and/or Sheepshead, also very good) for some fresh (or smoked) Salmon?

Salmon is a favorite of mine and I was considering buying from one of the online AK companies when I remembered that many C-Brats live in the PNW.

I have also received many requests from my website, www.floundergigging.com, from people all over the US to ship them fresh Flounder but never have done it (shipped fish) a trade would provide useful experience and could work out for both Parties.

I would be interested in trading fish or just buying some fresh or smoked Salmon outright. Thanks.

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
CaptMac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: another supply of fresh fish today Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from today's visit to the local seafood market to have the fresh fish catch filleted including wild Flounder and Sheepshead along with some Mullet (smoked Mullet is a delicacy).

This is my trusty Island-Hopper 1992 Jeep Cherokee in front of local Atlantic Seafood Bait & Tackle located at the downtown Fernandina Beach Docks and Intracoastal Waterway. Hmmm, Jeeps and C-Dorys go hand-in-hand. I read this in an original, factory C-Dory brochure that I found in some papers the other day and will be posting soon.

Bob with my regular pickup of fresh-caught Flounder, Sheepshead and a few Mullet.

Bob and the fresh fish after being iced down and ready to go
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have taken you up on that in a heartbeat before we moved. We always had a whole freezer full of filleted and freezer packed salmon we caught. After a few years trying to eat everything we caught, Brianna wouldn't eat it anymore. It got so bad I'd feed it to the dog or trade it to my farmer buddies for more palatable table fare.

Now we live down here and I know that little store really well. We pop in there for fresh fish or just cold drinks every time were on Amelia Island.

CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After a few years trying to eat everything we caught, Brianna wouldn't eat it anymore

I feel the same way about Flounder i get so much of it that I'm ready for a different taste.

Plus, id like to experiment with shipping fish for retail purposes from my web site. I used to one a small bricks and mortar seafood market / bait and tackle. It slowly become a 19th hole for fisherman who would gather and tell their tales of the sea. It seems like their catches got bigger each time they told the tale. Shocked

Looks like you're about 2 hours away near Savannah. Look me up next time you're in the area and maybe we can do a double c-dory offshore fishing trip. I know some good reefs about 10 - 12 miles offshore.

Plus, in June and July the King Mackerel will be moving through the area making for some good trolling.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, you are not allowed to sell salmon unless you have the proper license.
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the caveat but im well aware of the licenses necessary as i used to own a Florida seafood market licensed through the dept of agriculture.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptMac wrote:
Thanks for the caveat but im well aware of the licenses necessary as i used to own a Florida seafood market licensed through the dept of agriculture.

I wasn't warning you. You said:
Quote:
I would be interested in trading fish or just buying some fresh or smoked Salmon outright
I was warning people on this site who might want to sell fish and make a deal with you for the world to see on the internet.
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some states do allow the sale of recreational catches only of seafood, but its always better to be safe than sorry, plus i'm not interested in a lengthy forum debate on the topic, so may i suggest "trades only" of Salmon for Flounder, should anyone be interested. Thanks.
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest is right. Washington and Alaska are off the list. Not legal for sale or barter. Im sure Oregon is the same. Our fisheries up here are in enough hot water right now. Trade=Barter.

John
Scallywag
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem, its just as easy to buy directly from on the online companies selling fresh Salmon, not worth the hassle or risk, thanks for the input
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, i noticed your twins with trim tabs and recall a discussion about there being a width requirement of trim tabs when installed on twin engine C-Dory. What brand and size are your tabs and how well do they work ie fuel economy improvement, hole shot, top speed, etc? Thanks.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of direct market salmon fishermen out there who might see this. Here is one I know personally that sells a very very high quality product that is headed, gutted, and pressure bled Copper River Salmon, shipped out on a jet and you pick it up at the airport fresh fresh fresh: http://www.gulkanaseafoods.com

It's available starting in mid may. Break out your checkbook!!

Generally salmon are regulated by the state from which they are harvested. States even regulate salmon in federal waters (again, mostly), especially in any state with a decent commercial fishery, so the regs may be very different from those you are familiar with under USDA.
Brewkid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I'll have to take a look tomorrow but I'm almost positive they're bennets. They work great. I always start out with at least 50% and the boat comes right out on step. I have plenty of room but top speed isn't effected too much. If it's glass out I'll raise them once on step and she'll pick up a little but not much. I max out at about 25mph sog.
If I get time in the am I'll measure them.

John
Scallywag
Brewkid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I'll have to take a look tomorrow but I'm almost positive they're bennets. They work great. I always start out with at least 50% and the boat comes right out on step. I have plenty of room but top speed isn't effected too much. If it's glass out I'll raise them once on step and she'll pick up a little but not much. I max out at about 25mph sog.
If I get time in the am I'll measure them.

John
Scallywag
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote Looks like you're about 2 hours away near Savannah. Look me up next time you're in the area and maybe we can do a double c-dory offshore fishing trip. I know some good reefs about 10 - 12 miles offshore.

Plus, in June and July the King Mackerel will be moving through the area making for some good trolling.
[/quote]

Ill take you up on that. I'd love to troll for some mackerel this summer and do some bottom fishing on the reefs. We love Amelia Island, its one of our favorite weekend spots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: