The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Looking To Buy C-Dory, Charleston SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats For Sale By Owner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Looking To Buy C-Dory, Charleston SC Reply with quote

Hi,

After dreaming about these boats for several years we've decided to pull the trigger. We're serious buyers located in Charleston SC. We'll mainly use the boat for day trips and some cruising with our two small kids. We've been in contact with a few boats for sale on the forums here, but if you're thinking of selling here's your chance for a quick sale. Price range is 20's-30's.

P.S. Just realized there is a wanted forum, not sure how to delete this.

Thanks
Brandon
Charleston SC
easy does it

City/Region: St George/Ivins
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: The Trout's Boater Home
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I give you our experience of 5 years searching...you are in a good position if you are willing to travel a little distance lots's of great boats in florida (don't let distance discourage you..you only need to do it once and you can enjoy the boat for the rest of your life!) Don't wait around for a bargain. You are wasting everyone's time..there is no boat in higher demand! You will need to pay at least $30k. look for an original owner if possible at least a 90 low hr engine. Remember now is the time to get all the extras nearly free. If you have to buy them later as add on's they will be very expensive. Think about getting a bigger boat now...(why is everyone with a 22 wanting a bigger boat with a head??? BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOAT YOU CAN AFFORD...YOU DESERVE IT!
ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: post subject Reply with quote

easy does it wrote:
... BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOAT YOU CAN AFFORD...

"Most Expensive" does not necessarily equal "best". You should buy the best boat that suits your needs. Some people say you should not buy the biggest boat you can afford, but the smallest one you can live with.

Also, boats have upkeep, storage, and operating costs. If you spent all your money on buying it, you may not be able to afford to operate it.

Finally, at least as far as cars are concerned, the reliability of a new car is generally inversely proportional to its cost (see Consumer Reports), so price does not mean best. With boats, the amount of usage a boat gets is inversely proportional to its size.
ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: post subject Reply with quote

easy does it wrote:
... BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOAT YOU CAN AFFORD...

"Most Expensive" does not necessarily equal "best". You should buy the best boat that suits your needs. Some people say you should not buy the biggest boat you can afford, but the smallest one you can live with.

Also, boats have upkeep, storage, and operating costs. If you spent all your money on buying it, you may not be able to afford to operate it.

Finally, at least as far as cars are concerned, the reliability of a new car is generally inversely proportional to its cost (see Consumer Reports), so price does not mean best. With boats, the amount of usage a boat gets is inversely proportional to its size.
easy does it

City/Region: St George/Ivins
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: The Trout's Boater Home
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

we were offered a 22' cruiser for $15k and one for $55k both boats sold and I am sure both new owners are very happy although we turned them both down.
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: River Horse
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Boat for Sale Reply with quote

Im considering listing my beloved River Horse please feel free to contact me via PM or direct email. I live on Amelia Island (Fla) less than 4 hours from Charleston, SC.

Capt Mac Daniel
Flounder Gigging Charters
Amelia Island, Florida 32034
http://www.floundergigging.com
Google-rated #1 for Flounder Gigging
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
(904) 277-3050

Long-time C-Brat Member
Before now a C-Dogs Member
And before that a Member of the C-Dory Owners Group on Yahoo Groups
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptMac, is your boat THE Riverhorse?

Peter
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: River Horse Reply with quote

Hi, C-Dancer, is there another C-Dory boat named River Horse?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat used by William Least Heat Moon: The boats name was "Nikawa", which is a translation of Osage words ni (River) kawa (horse).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research i found that my boat is pretty much a mirror image of the Nikawa:

Nikawa specs:
1994 or 1995 model year C-Dory Cruiser 22
Green Trim
Twin 45 HP Honda Outboards

River Horse specs:
1994 model year C-Dory Cruiser 22
Green Trim
Twin 45 HP Honda Outboards

It would be nice to organize a flotilla of C-Brats on day in the future to visit the Nikawa.

Nikawa

River Horse
gpage3

City/Region: Mint Hill
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: EressŽa
Photos: EressŽa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Ride along Reply with quote

Hello,
I just purchased a Venture 23. I live in Charlotte. I will be coming down to Charleston for some time on the water when things warm up. You would be welcome aboard for a ride if you like. Let me know and I will get back when I head that way....no plans yet but I do come down occasionally.
Greg[img][/img]
Snider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies, good info. I just purchased the 2002 22ft cruiser that was listed on the for sale page out of TX. Took the boat out yesterday in the harbor and had a blast. The kids loved it. We didn't linger out there long as there was a small craft advisory on and it was a little bumpy. My 6 year old started getting uncharacteristically quiet and laid down. Figured wouldn't be a good idea for her to get seasick on the first trip, so we retreated to the river for a nice easier cruise.

I generally follow the advice of buy the smallest boat that fits your needs. That also keeps costs down and I find that we've used the smaller boats more in the past. This is my first motor boat (as long as you don't count the 20ft Grady we just sold after buying it last month) we've owned sailboats in the past. I really like the simplicity of these boats.

Gregg let me know when you come down.

gpage3

City/Region: Mint Hill
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: EressŽa
Photos: EressŽa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Congrats Reply with quote

My Venture is a first time buy for me also. I have a 19' Siren Sailboat up for sale!

If you can post some photos...It is not to easy to do! I tried on my last post...lol.

Snider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Congrats Reply with quote

gpage3 wrote:
My Venture is a first time buy for me also. I have a 19' Siren Sailboat up for sale!

If you can post some photos...It is not to easy to do! I tried on my last post...lol.

I tried to post some pictures but couldn't figure it out, I emailed an admin. I really like that Venture 23, very nice boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats For Sale By Owner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: