The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Swim grid boarding ladder wtb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Accessories For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Swim grid boarding ladder wtb Reply with quote

Looking for a swim grid and boarding ladder for the starboard side of our transom. If anyone has taken there’s off, bought something custom recently or built one could you post or pm? Thanks!
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy one...try putting a ladder behind your boat where you think the boarding ramp should go....and try climbing into the cockpit.... I found it really hard to do...nothing really there to hold on to....and you can't just throw your leg over into the cockpit....I did not like a rear mounted boarding ladders.

I had an attachment made so I could climb in just behind the deck house...using the hand hold to give me balance ...much better.

Joel
SEA3PO
ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a grab rail on the transom to assist boarding. One hand on the rail and one on the engine. I have seen boats where people put a grad handle on the engine cowl.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SoBelle&id=boat_handle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Garelick 19536. That model has a diagonal brace below the platform on the inboard side which would have forced me to drill holes below the waterline. Instead of doing that, a friend fabricated a stainless bracket that hooks over the lower central part of the transom and bolts through it. No photo yet but I can take one and add it to the Pangur Ban photos.

This was a fairly inexpensive solution (shop around for prices on the bracket itself, around $100). People have warned me that the 2-step ladder still falls above where most adults can place a foot on the bottom rung, and the solution is to climb onto the lower rung on a knee.

You will see that the Garelick 19546 has two curved brackets above the platform. That won't work on a CD22 because the inboard bracket would end in midair.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a hand grip inside of the transom, bolted thru the splash well, just above the swim step. Also a Sea Sucker medium handle stuck to the outboard top or side (200# capacity) Will give a second hand grip. Probably the single vacuum cup would be enough, and it is a few dollars cheaper.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you really want to go cheap ($10) and hold 300#.

https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Bar-Vive-Bathroom-Handicap/dp/B01G48KSK8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1520798717&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=suction%2Bhandle%2Bwindow%2Blift&th=1

I have a pair of these from doing a whole house window install. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Heavy-Duty-Double-Suction-Cup-for-Glass-Windshields-and-Dent-Pulling/188610853?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=550&adid=22222222227069429361&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=177057643594&wl4=pla-282593109485&wl5=1027744&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354493&wl11=online&wl12=188610853&wl13=&veh=sem

I put one on the forward panel of the splash well so that I have a handle to grab on to, but they have some galvanized steel parts. That hasn't been an issue so far, but for $10, I just ordered the bathroom handle from Amazon.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: Leesburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I work we use those devices to pull up the computer room floor tiles. The handles work ok for a while and then don't hold so well.

I wouldn't use them to support a good percentage of a person's body weight because you'll never know when they are going to let go.

The handles also grip better when the force is perpendicular to the surface they are attached to. When the force is parallel to the surface these handles can shift.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
The handles work ok for a while and then don't hold so well.

I wouldn't use them to support a good percentage of a person's body weight because you'll never know when they are going to let go.

The handles also grip better when the force is perpendicular to the surface they are attached to. When the force is parallel to the surface these handles can shift.

The reason I quoted the "Sea Sucker" vacuum mount, is that they have both a vacuum pump and an indicator gauge. If the unit is loosing vacuum, it will show. The single 6" mount is rated for 200#, and the double 6" is rated for 400 lbs. They seem to really hold! But if any question, then pull more vacuum.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the suction handle from Amazon and attached it. It has a little indicator that is green when stuck and turns to red if it is loosened or improperly installed. I attached it to the tiles in the shower for a test. Now, Beth wants to keep that one, so I guess I'll order another.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check my album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Accessories For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: