The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

trailer surge brake repair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: trailer surge brake repair Reply with quote

When I my boat off for servicing I asked if they could look over the trailer. It is 10 years old and felt a little heavy on the tow over. The trailer is an EZ Loader single axle with surge brakes for my 22' C-dory. Yesterday I got the call saying the brakes were corroded and in bad shape, it would be $1800 CDN (about $1400 USD) to repair. I was a bit surprised, seemed like a lot for a trailer repair. Has anybody had that sort of a job done, does that sound reasonable?

thanks, Blair
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Loader's web site shows that their single axle adjustable bunk trailer has a maximum load weight of 3,700 lbs. Your CD 22 will be near that weight or even over it. So the first thing to consider is a new tandem axle trailer, particularly if you tow any distance.

I don't know what work is included in the estimate that you have, but simply replacing the corroded drums and brake mechanism shouldn't cost that much. For that much money they may be replacing the drums, brake mechanism, brake lines and surge actuator.

If you are going to that much effort I would consider converting to electric over hydraulic particularly if your TV has a tow package with a trailer brake connector. You put an electric actuator on the tongue that hooks up to the hydraulic lines. Electric over hydraulic provides much better braking control.

David
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote is about right for service in Victoria, labour is $$ and parts are more expensive due to shipping. Try to get a second quote at Custom Hitch & R.V. Service out in North Saanich lots of boat owners use them.

I've been thinking about the cost of switching to Electric over hydraulic in Canada and I think it is $2000 CAD without doing the brakes.

Might sell my trailer for our 25 if you want something with a bigger capacity.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair, First off, your trailer needs to be up to hauling your boat safely. If your trailer is not rated for at least 5,000 pounds, I wouldn't put anything into repair, I'd be looking to trade up. It is not uncommon for trailers to be really abused (as in not washed after dipping into salt water, tires left unattended, and wiring and lights never checked or fixed), so a trailer that is 10 years old is highly likely to need a serious brake job.Get a second estimate, and go to a reliable service place.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that quote include a new brake actuator?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a lot of naysayers but if you are sticking with drums it would be a lot cheaper to just pull the hydraulics and go pure electric. (That’s what I run and I do a lot of trailering! 10000 mi/year average! But mostly fresh water!). That being said I agree with the others that said you should probably be looking at a new heavier duty trailer.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
There will be a lot of naysayers but if you are sticking with drums it would be a lot cheaper to just pull the hydraulics and go pure electric. (That’s what I run and I do a lot of trailering! 10000 mi/year average! But mostly fresh water!). That being said I agree with the others that said you should probably be looking at a new heavier duty trailer.

Cheaper maybe, but how long do you expect pure electric brakes to last, particularly if you launch in salt water. Electric over hydraulic disc brakes is by far the best setup.

Daviid
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, if you are running drum brakes anyway, electric will last just as long as hydraulic. You do want to make sure you have good material. But the best stuff, Stainless, will last the longest, however for that you need disc which means electric over hydraulic. In either case, you still need to maintain your brakes. Hydraulic and water does not get along either, if you allow water into the components. As I stated earlier, I do most my boating in fresh water. The argument about electric components really doesn't hold up, as most decent electric brakes have the wiring encased in epoxy where it enters the electric magnet anyway. The issue is with the standard drum brake material, thus why I say if you are running standard drum brakes anyway, the electric components will hold up just as well as the brakes them self. But you want to rinse it all off with fresh water after dunking in salt. Ironically, most folks had issues with the EOH when it was relatively new, as they were allowing the motorized pump to get dunked as well. No matter what you have, using it in salt will require preventative maintenance for it to last. Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labor is a killer. Parts are relatively inexpensive. I've done all four disc brakes for less than half what you were quoted ($1400 US) above for two.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Electric over hydraulic disc brakes is by far the best setup

I should have quoted this first, as I agree here that disc brakes are by far the best setup, and for that you would need either hydraulic surge or Electric over Hydraulic (EOH). EOH is much better than surge. Pure Electric is still the cheapest of all three setups, and I would only recommend pure electric if you are running drum brakes anyway. If you run the EOH, be sure your pump motor is mounted above water level and also maintain your hydraulics keeping the fluid sealed from any water intrusion. FWIW, you can buy electric brakes, backing plate and full assembly for about $30/wheel. Brake drums will add approximately another $30/wheel. (If you already have drums for the hydraulic brakes and they are in good shape, no need to replace!) And a decent brake controller will be $80 and up. If you can do the wiring your self, and the other labor, you are looking at maybe another $20-$30 in wiring. The entire job to go to electric is under $600 (US) to replace everything on a tandem if you can do the labor. Half that for just one axle! Probably double that if you pay for someone to do it. Colby
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm replacing the brakes on the E-Z Loader, which has 4 wheel brakes. I bought Kodiak 2 ea 12 in kits which included the (one piece) disk/ rotor , the (Chinese) bearings , metal seals, calipers with pads and a backing plate. $320 ea. $615 for the pair, American. Here is a sample: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodiak-10-Hydraulic-Trailer-Disc-Brake-Kit-w-Bearings-Seals-1-Axle-Complete/401444573958?hash=item5d77f61306:g:fDkAAOSwn25aDK2N:sc:FedExHomeDelivery. Sorry, this program will not embed a link this long. This set is cadmium plated. A master cylinder is $70. Also check that the brake hydraulic lines are not corroded. I replaced them with SS, Ouch.

The rest of the cost is labor. I'm doing it myself, will take photos.

Now, as to pure electric brakes: they don't belong on trailers that are immersed in salt water. Colby Smith has advocated them for years but he lives in the midwest and boats in fresh water. Now that he's going to other places, it would be interesting to see how those brakes look. They depend on an electric solenoid to create enough friction to drag the brake shoes into the drums.

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Boris, after several years and 30,000+ miles they look fine. You can see photos of them in Midnight Flyers photo album! However in fairness I’ll admit other than maybe some brackish water in the St. John’s in Florida or Sacramento River in the California Delta or close to the ocean at Astoria, or towing on salted winter roads in the Midwest, all my travel is to primarily fresh water. But I will argue with you that If you are running regular drum brakes in salt water, decent electric brakes will hold up as well as your hydraulic brakes! Again this is on regular drum brakes! Stainless discs will of course hold up better I believe and are only available in hydraulics which then requires surg or EOH. Colby
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Blair, First off, your trailer needs to be up to hauling your boat safely. If your trailer is not rated for at least 5,000 pounds, I wouldn't put anything into repair, I'd be looking to trade up. It is not uncommon for trailers to be really abused (as in not washed after dipping into salt water, tires left unattended, and wiring and lights never checked or fixed), so a trailer that is 10 years old is highly likely to need a serious brake job.Get a second estimate, and go to a reliable service place.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

That is the single axle trailer that most of us received back in the day. It’s fine, as long as it’s in good condition. I upgraded to a double axle only to have a bit more safety in the event of a flat.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the single axle trailers are "yard trailers"--ie for storage, and roll to a launching ramp or hoist--no more than a few miles.

I had about 8,000 miles on my single axle trailer until a catastrophic failure.--bought a used tandem axle trailer that night for a couple of thousand dollars.

The complete setup to add electric over hydraulic brakes to that trailer was abut $1300. (included Triton Accentuator, disc brakes, calipers, lines, batteries for break free system, wiring etc. (in the US, and my labor). This included new spindles as well as hubs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference, I had to do brakes on my roadrunner double axle trailer last year. It also included new actuator and one new axle ( got damaged when bearing literally blew out)
My bill at Crescent Beach marina near Vancouver was close to 3k
Hope that helps

1988 22' Angler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: