My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the EV100 on our CD23 two years ago and it has worked extremely well for us. I use it with or without a tie bar (150+9.9) and it maintains accurate heading in any conditions that I care to boat in.

Installation was easy and directions were clear. Raymarine techs were helpful with hose selection.

The EV150 has the larger volume pump needed for a CD25.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IRA, do you have the 0.5 liter pump with a Seastar or a Baystar?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn should be up under the eyebrow, close to the middle. Also check wiring and fuse. When you are doing wiring, be sure an label them now---it will same a lot of headaches, if you have a problem when underway.

It sounds as if your boat had the water pump put where the macerator pump was on the older boats (in those boats the water tank was forward, under the V berth, and a large holding tank aft. In that case, definitely a good idea to move it up, as you did. Get all of the other wiring up out of water.

If you have the VSR, then it will combine when charging batteries from a shore charger. The Guest 555 or even a 55 10 will be overworked and will eventually fail. Then you can replace with a 30 amp charger.

There are several computer programs which allow overlay...but I would learn to use the radar without overlay. Run it on good days, and learn to do a vision in hour head, of the radar, the navigation markers, other boats etc. In the long run, this will serve you better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the garmin AP and it works great on a plane but not so great going 5-8 knots.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give an alternative view, I always use radar as an overlay on the marine chart. It give me some way to tie the radar view to a geographic view. Otherwise you're not sure where or what the radar is showing. Is that dot a buoy or a boat? How far is the shore, geographically? Up to a point, more information is better and an overlay doesn't clutter that information.

I have 2 ea programs that allow me to use radar overlay: OpenCpn and the Lowrance MFD. I feel the overlay is the best improvement since radar itself. I use 3G radar which has an ethernet output, so it can be piped to many simultaneous sources.

I do agree that you must practice using the radar, overlay or not, in clear weather. That will allow you to translate the radar image into meaningful information when you can't see.

Boris
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Boris on this one. Over lay is always on and running regard less of the weather. it really helps pick out fast movers in the sun and glare around here. boat s that I would not have seen other wise on clear days. Going back and forth from map to radar just sound useless to me. But as with most things in life is what you learned first that works best for you.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, Radar is always on if the boat is away from the dock, and it is on a plotter overlay, generally in the 3 to 6 mile range, beyond that, the AIS is showing me what to watch farther out.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Amen, Radar is always on if the boat is away from the dock, and it is on a plotter overlay, generally in the 3 to 6 mile range, beyond that, the AIS is showing me what to watch farther out.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I have the radar on at all times now too. How does the AIS work?
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

I have the radar on at all times now too. How does the AIS work?

A boat with AIS transmitter (A or B) transmitters the location, the speed, course over ground, and vessel name at a minim. The value of this is that the message of AIS comes in from beyond the horizon of the radar, and around corners to some degree...(It is line of sight, in the VHF spectrum, but being digital, the range and "clarity" is better than voice.)

The reason I use radar without overlay, is that I began with radar long before chart plotters, and thus learned to superimpose mentally the radar image over the paper chart image. At times I still use radar plotting boards. In the modern boat the two images are next to each other and at the same scale--making it even easier. You don't have all of the clutter of radar on the chart (which may allow you to miss some chart information.--to me this is distracting--as is the AIS data is on the primary chart. Perhaps a little more difficult--but I believe it gives me more positive information, and less false information. For example, I have watched DEA boats "hide" in the radar shadow of a buoy. I have seen one echo, and assumed it was a buoy--when it was a boat in close proximity. When you are at closest ranges, the Radar will show slips, boats, pilings etc which are not on the charts.

I find it easier to do MARPA and CPA with the plain radar. Range and bearing are always your friend. As noted some newest radars do differentiate boats moving toward and boats moving away, by color. To each his own.
ken35216

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob will my existing equipment receive ASI transmissions or do I need to buy something?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
Dr Bob will my existing equipment receive ASI transmissions or do I need to buy something?

Ken, I don't know what radio you have. If it is the S H2100, 2150 or 2200, The Icom 605 or 506, Garmin; 210, RayMarine;70, the Lowrance Link 8, Sinrad: NAIS 500, RS and RE 35, RS 90, B & G V50, Uniden UN450, you have the capability...(I may have missed some lesser known brands. You can add any number of AIS receivers stand alone, or transceivers class B stand alone. Milltech has stand alone receivers for $189 on up. Some have "radar like" screens. Vesper also has receivers. Digital yacht has the cheapest at about $160 for a stand alone receiver. All of the major chart plotter manufactures have stand alone receivers.
ken35216

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

Ken, I don't know what radio you have. If it is the S H2100, 2150 or 2200, The Icom 605 or 506, Garmin; 210, RayMarine;70, the Lowrance Link 8, Sinrad: NAIS 500, RS and RE 35, RS 90, B & G V50, Uniden UN450, you have the capability...(I may have missed some lesser known brands. You can add any number of AIS receivers stand alone, or transceivers class B stand alone. Milltech has stand alone receivers for $189 on up. Some have "radar like" screens. Vesper also has receivers. Digital yacht has the cheapest at about $160 for a stand alone receiver. All of the major chart plotter manufactures have stand alone receivers.

Sorry Dr Bob. I have a 2017 Garmin 741xs with the RADAR package and just added the 1040xs.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
thataway wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

Sorry Dr Bob. I have a 2017 Garmin 741xs with the RADAR package and just added the 1040xs.

Ken , a radio receiver picks up the AIS data. Either of your Garmin chart plotters will show that information, if the radio (listed above) has the receiver which picks up The AIS information.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bob, I also like using my Radar in it's own screen. Yes, I do frequently have it in the overlay mode, but when it's on it's own screen it shows targets much more clearly. (In overlay, it's somewhat cluttered and the targets don't stand out as well.) In reality, if I am running "blind", I will switch back and forth between overlay and radar. With past experience it's not too hard to tell if I'm looking at a moving target, or a stationary one. And the bottom line is, the target is not on a collision course with me! Colby
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trick for overlay that you may not be aware of. You can adjust the opaqueness of the radar. This allows you to see targets and chart features at the same time. Its a menu item in all MFD I have used. Some times you have to dig for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: