The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 22 changes over the years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: C-Dory 22 changes over the years Reply with quote

I am a C-Dory 22 wannabe owner and we just got back from the Tampa Boat Show and looked at the new ones. First let me thank Mike the owner of Three Rivers Marine for putting on a full display of C-Dorys at the Tampa show.

I will be looking for a used C-Dory 22 after our big boat sells and would like owners to chime in on design changes over the years. I now have a pretty good benchmark of what a new one looks like, so please respond with advice on how they have evolved. I will looking at boats from the early 2000s to late 2000s.

Several changes come to mind. The new one has a cockpit floor that is raised 2-3" above the outer hull. The cabin sole is still the outer hull. Did the older ones have a lower cockpit floor that was also the outer hull?

Also I looked at the way the dinette converts from dinette seating to a forward passenger seat by sliding the whole seat base fore and aft. I suspect that for the older ones you just moved the seat back fore or aft.

The new one also has a water tank and pump that supplies the sink. Older ones didn't have this, right?

David
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: C-Dory 22 changes over the years Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
I am a C-Dory 22 wannabe owner and we just got back from the Tampa Boat Show and looked at the new ones. First let me thank Mike the owner of Three Rivers Marine for putting on a full display of C-Dorys at the Tampa show.

I will be looking for a used C-Dory 22 after our big boat sells and would like owners to chime in on design changes over the years. I now have a pretty good benchmark of what a new one looks like, so please respond with advice on how they have evolved. I will looking at boats from the early 2000s to late 2000s.

Several changes come to mind. The new one has a cockpit floor that is raised 2-3" above the outer hull. The cabin sole is still the outer hull. Did the older ones have a lower cockpit floor that was also the outer hull? Yes

Also I looked at the way the dinette converts from dinette seating to a forward passenger seat by sliding the whole seat base fore and aft. I suspect that for the older ones you just moved the seat back fore or aft. Some only had an aft facing front seat.

The new one also has a water tank and pump that supplies the sink. Older ones didn't have this, right? Foot pump

David

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other minor changes that come to mind between early and late 2000's models (not sure exactly what years they occurred, maybe sometime around 2009...)

1. The galley on the newer models is molded fiberglass. Older models are built of a wood material that some people prefer for easier modifications.

2. The door on the newer models is all-glass, whereas older models have a solid door with a glass window. One benefit of the full glass door I've noticed is the ability to look back and see the fuel level in both tanks when the door is closed (in models with poly fuel tanks, not aluminum). Not sure if you can see the tanks when door is closed on older models with a glass window.

3. In the newer models there are storage compartments under the V-berth. Older models are filled with foam under the v-berth, which some owners have removed and turned into storage compartments.

There are some other more subtle differences as well, but those are the bigger items that come to mind, at least from the factories. Probably goes without saying, but the optional accessories and add-ons from the dealers will have more substantial differences in the range of years you are looking at. For example newer electronics and fuel-injected engines in the later 2000 model years, and carbureted four-strokes in the early to mid 2000's, unless the boat has already been repowered.

-Mike

DavidM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Good info.

David
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
A few other minor changes that come to mind between early and late 2000's models (not sure exactly what years they occurred, maybe sometime around 2009...)

1. The galley on the newer models is molded fiberglass. Older models are built of a wood material that some people prefer for easier modifications.

2. The door on the newer models is all-glass, whereas older models have a solid door with a glass window. One benefit of the full glass door I've noticed is the ability to look back and see the fuel level in both tanks when the door is closed (in models with poly fuel tanks, not aluminum). Not sure if you can see the tanks when door is closed on older models with a glass window.

3. In the newer models there are storage compartments under the V-berth. Older models are filled with foam under the v-berth, which some owners have removed and turned into storage compartments.

There are some other more subtle differences as well, but those are the bigger items that come to mind, at least from the factories. Probably goes without saying, but the optional accessories and add-ons from the dealers will have more substantial differences in the range of years you are looking at. For example newer electronics and fuel-injected engines in the later 2000 model years, and carbureted four-strokes in the early to mid 2000's, unless the boat has already been repowered.

-Mike

All these features are on my '07 CD-22.

I prefer the fiberglass galley. I think it will be more durable. I have no problems making mods.
DavidM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that replied. I am getting closer to accelerating my search for a C-Dory 22 as my much bigger downeaster style trawler has almost sold.

So one final clarification:

I have looked at Yachtworld and Boattrader pics and from what I can see the 2000-2004 models do not have the capability for a forward facing dinette seat. The 2005 and later models have a movable seat base that does this.

Is that right? If so I will be looking at 2005+ models. A forward facing passenger seat is essential for us.

David
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread about the 22 cruiser seat conversion as a project. Take a look and you might decide to just do it yourself if you find an older model that is otherwise appealing.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=6835&view=next&sid=6706d95b2d8352bb2a6b3998c5adc69a

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
... Is that right? If so I will be looking at 2005+ models. A forward facing passenger seat is essential for us....

My '07 has the factory reversible seat. We always have it in "dinette" position and have never put it in the forward position. The reasons for this are on the 22 the aft dinette seat is facing forward and is not that far from the front of the cabin, the ride in the aft seat is better, and switching the seat from aft to forward facing (or the other way) is kind of a pain.

I would be quite happy if my boat did not have this option. The way the seat works to be able to slide cuts down the available storage space under the forward seat, and the "slides" for the seat clutter up the floor under the dinette table.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We specifically did not want the sliding forward seat. Marie has always preferred the aft seat, she can put the book she is reading on the table, and as others have pointed out, the ride is slightly better aft. For example in the 25 and Tom cat 255, we always left the dinette configuration up, and the forward seat facing aft.

You loose significant amount of storage, not only under the seat, but under the floor, because of the sliding seat--then you have to "make it up" side to face the dinette, put the table up when using the table. The table seems a little less stable with the convertible seat.

I have seen boats in the 2000 era with a owner adapted sliding seat--as in the linked post.

Also there is the choice of molded interior vs the wood laminate interior--both have the points. I tend to favor the wood, since modifications are a bit easier to make--although I am comfortable making any modification I want in fiberglass. It is just easier in wood.

Don't ignore good boats because of the seat option--and think it out well ahead of time.

In the rare case where we need two sets of eyes forward--such as running at night or in the fog, we can turn the radar screen so Marie is watching it from "side saddle" or she will stand in the center looking forward.

Good hunting.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: