The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Room on transom for kicker?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingmann

City/Region: Kettle Falls
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Eva
Photos: Eva
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Room on transom for kicker? Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of a 22’ c-dory cruiser, year 2000. It has a 90 HP Honda, same vintage. I am looking at 9.9 HP, 4 cycle Yamaha long shaft for a kicker. Our local marine dealer, not familiar with c-dorys thinks there is not enough room on the transom for this motor. Any thoughts on this?
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Post subject: Room on transom for kicker? Reply with quote

I have basically the same setup you are looking for already, 2003 CD22 with 90 Honda, and a Honda 9.9 kicker beside it. The kicker is clamped on with hydraulic lift/tilt as far to starboard as you can get, and a starter and throttle to the helm. A rod is attached to the 90 to allow steering, thus the 90 must be down. I can either unhook the 90 and attach the gas or use a separate remote gas tank. When not using it, I take the steering rod off, tilt it to full up and the motor sits out of the way to starboard. I bungee it so it can't flop over. The prop drags a little until on step. The setup works OK, but it adds 100 lb to the transom. It is simply an insurance policy for me. I have electric trolling motors front and back, and love them, particularly the front one, which also acts as an electronic "anchor". Most of the time the 9.9 is just a useless pain, since it leans the boat a lot to starboard. I've taken it off when close to home, and I can get on step quicker without the weight and lack of balance, but I figure if I take a big trip without it, then I'll need it. You'll definitely need trim tabs is you get this because your boat will lean to the side the motor is on. Do not get this motor mounted without trim tabs. IMO, it just won't work without trim tabs.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat has one. We have two swim steps, one on either side of the 90 Honda. The starboard swim step has a kicker mount, and the 9.9 Honda sits on that. Works great, although I've yet to really use the kicker much. When I need it Ill be glad its there.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your boat guy. With the main motor dead center, you won't get a 9 kicker, or any other size for that matter onto the transom. Others have the recommended solution.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1996 22' Cruiser. I have a Yami 115 main with a Tohatsu 9.8 on the transom to the stbd side. No problem, works great.

jd
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicker doesn't need to be a long shaft if it is it will drag in the water everywhere you go. Except when on full plane.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod/jd,

How does the 9.8 Tohatsu run? What year is it? I just changed the 9.9 Honda out for a Tohatsu because of the weight difference. Unfortunately, no chance to try out the motor yet, fixing brakes on the trailer.

Boris
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
I agree with your boat guy. With the main motor dead center, you won't get a 9 kicker, or any other size for that matter onto the transom. Others have the recommended solution.

I think mounting the kicker on the transom is viable. I've put some pictures in my personal area showing my Honda 9.9 kicker up, down, hydraulics, remote starter/throttle/trim, and the tie bar for steering. This is my first time putting images in a message so I might not/probably do not know what I am doing. Apologies if I mess up.

I agree you might want a short shaft, since mine with long shaft drags a little on step unless I tilt it up more than the tilt/trim does. Note that in my opinion, the room available isn't so much the problem, but the 100+ lbs on one side certainly is. You'll also need trim tabs. If you only plan to troll, the electric motor is perfect for slow trolling, and you can mount your charger and carry a small generator if you think your batteries won't handle your whole day, or if you are remote. For fast trolling (i.e. tuna in the ocean), the main motor is fine. The only problem is if your main quits, you'll need the 9.9 to come back in. You could probably do this on the upper Columbia reservoirs near Kettle Falls, but the Pacific Ocean or even Puget Sound with tides may be another story.

[img]http://image_url[/TransomKicker1.JPG][/img]

[img]http://image_url[/TransomKicker2.JPG][/img]

[img]http://image_url[/TransomKicker3.JPG][/img]

[img]http://image_url[/TransomKicker4.JPG][/img]

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:

Chris

nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

the Tohatsu (2010 model) is great! Very smooth & quiet. Mine has the electric start with alternator so I can charge the batts with it if needs be. I also installed a Controllking throttle control so I can work the throttle from the helm.

jd
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa-

Nice to see your electric anti-ventilation plate mounted trolling motor on your main 90 Honda engine.

I loved mine and thought it was a great solution to the problem of how to troll slowly and steathly enough for trout in quiet waters under 2 mph.

Good thinking!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the large 90 Suzuki. A heavy Nissan 9.8 short shaft sits next to it to port, on the transom, no brackets or mounts. Works ok as long as there is minimal wave action. It sits too high.

I'm going to switch out the Nissan kicker for probably a 3.5 Tohatsu/Mercury to reduce weight. My back can't take the 115# Nissan. I figure a long shaft is best. Don't think I care if it drags in the water. Hopefully it clears the trim tab.
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted a standard shaft Tohatsu 6 on a Garelick swing-up bracket (spaced out one inch from the transom) on the starboard side. Trim tabs on the outside and the main motor in the center made a direct transom mount impossible. In testing last fall the motor was fine for shaft length and a bit of a challenge to raise and lower; securing it for safety while towing is a concern too.

I figured the 6 would get me out of trouble if needed, and probably push the boat at close to displacement hull speed unless there's serious adverse wind or current.

A nearby friend mounted his long-shaft 9.9 kicker on a custom bracket and linked it's steering to the main motor with a rod similar to the photos on this thread. He can then steer it from the helm. He also got a kicker with an alternator so it charges his batteries.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda 90 and a Honda 9.9 on my boat and have not had any problems with it. I use the 9.9 for trawling and I try to run it for a while on every cruise just to keep it ready in case I need it get me home some day.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Kingmann

City/Region: Kettle Falls
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Eva
Photos: Eva
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Kicker on a 22’ cruiser Reply with quote

Thank you for all these opinions. I am going to have a look/see at some 22s before moving forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: