starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the map. The chart I was looking at did not have that area named.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned, I have a SHARC card. I'm not sport fishing, I'm subsistence fishing. Yes, totally different, and the sport regs are not applicable. K-Bay and Homer residents are not qualified rural residents. There really aren't any qualified communities on the road system.

https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/fisheries/subsistence-halibut

tsturm wrote:
Kushtaka wrote:
Unless you are lucky enough to have a SHARC card! Then you get 20 per day, 365 days a year!

I don't know a ton about fishing K Bay, but I can catch halibut year round in PWS and the Gulf,

How do you get away with that? My copy of the Sport Fish regs. says Feb. 1 to Dec. 31 for All south central? Even PWS?

Sad Rolling Eyes Wink
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kushtaka"]As I mentioned, I have a SHARC card. I'm not sport fishing, I'm subsistence fishing. Yes, totally different, and the sport regs are not applicable. K-Bay and Homer residents are not qualified rural residents. There really aren't any qualified communities on the road system.

https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/fisheries/subsistence-halibut

I miss read your first post. Lots of the Subsistence permits on the south side of K-bay Wink have a good one!!
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, there are some qualified communities on the S. I've never understood why some of the communities across on the south side qualify and some don't, even though they are all similarly isolated.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2771&id=IMG_8164&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Not sure if this picture will post correctly, but we managed a 49, 33 and 15 pounder on Saturday.

It was a long wait for action after heading down to the boat at 6 and getting set up at about 7:45 at our backup spot, it was pretty busy on the water with lots of boats and about 10 dog fish.

The 33 was our first fish at about 11:15 and it came on the bow rod. I had barely used a harpoon before but sure needed it on Saturday going three for three.

Our second was the 15 pounder which was also on the bow rod, which I got our rookie to reel up. We had just finished our high fives on the little fish and my buddy, with the beard an experienced fisherman in the photo, yells "We are going to need that harpoon back here!"

We were patient and got the last one through the gill plate as well and were thrilled to get our daily limit and 1/6 of our limit for the year ending March 31!

Crabbing yesterday with the head and stomach, it looks like she had stipped a whole salmon head off our hook earlier in the morning but came back for more. Managed about 8 Dungenous off 2 of the 3 carcasses. Hopefully the small head in the freezer will get us a few more.

Great the boat fishes well as most people were empty-handed for the day or caught 1 or 2. Thanks for helping me choose a C-Dory!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice report. Looks like you will be eating well for a while.
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, but I've never even owned a harpoon. I've boated several 100+ lb halibut with my good old gaff. I kill them over the water, while they are on the gaff (even the big ones), so don't really have to deal with a lot of thrashing once I bring them on board.

There are people I know who go at anything over 20lbs with harpoons and shotguns, and there are people I know who just keep a harpoon around for the occasional monster.

I guess a harpoon-free boat makes good sense for me because I release 90% of the big fish I get (60+ lbs), and really only keep them if they are badly gut hooked or gilled, or if someone visiting from out of state catches a big one.

I used a bow rod for awhile, but had issues getting fish on the boat from the bow (I don't walk the rods back to the cockpit when I'm by myself) so I started keeping the bow rod back in the cockpit and running the line up to a downrigger clip on my bow rail. That was a lot more manageable.
kaelc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting on using the downrigger clip for the bow rod. Any trouble getting the lines tangled when you have a doubleheader?

Love the gaff but from time to time my glancing swing or my effort to bring a 70 pounder thrasher over the side has resulted in having to haul an angry fish back up from 240 feet!
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice. I'm going to add a spring line this year so it's a little less sharp a pull for the fish. I've tangled lines plenty, and no doubleheader needed. Because I have a subsistence card I regularly fish 4 lines all by myself. I often get tangled. I also put chum out on a manual downrigger. But, I usually get it all sorted and land my fish. Or at least, in terms of cost/benefit, the 3 off the cockpit and 1 off the bow with a downrigger out has produced far more fish than it's lost. The biggest trouble I have is actually with the anchor line and the bow line. I've been thinking about maybe putting a poly buoy on another downrigger clip and using that to get it away from the boat a bit.
kaelc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
It's nice. I'm going to add a spring line this year so it's a little less sharp a pull for the fish. I've tangled lines plenty, and no doubleheader needed. Because I have a subsistence card I regularly fish 4 lines all by myself. I often get tangled. I also put chum out on a manual downrigger. But, I usually get it all sorted and land my fish. Or at least, in terms of cost/benefit, the 3 off the cockpit and 1 off the bow with a downrigger out has produced far more fish than it's lost. The biggest trouble I have is actually with the anchor line and the bow line. I've been thinking about maybe putting a poly buoy on another downrigger clip and using that to get it away from the boat a bit.

How does the spring line work? Any luck with the poly buoy is that for the middle one off the cockpit? I can't imagine fishing 3 off the cockpit! Nice work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: