View previous topic :: View next topic  
jep27

City/Region: New Haven
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Lunasa
Photos: Lunasa
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Bottom Paint Reply with quote

I wanted to post something about the bottom paint we recently put on our 26' Cape Cruiser (2007).

After a fair bit of thought, we went with a product called 'Coppercoat' - which is effectively a two-art epoxy with a significant amount of copper-flaking suspended in it. https://coppercoatusa.com/

Per recommendation of folks on this site, and also Coppercoat, we applied a barrier coat - which was a two-part polymer resin system with ceramic particles suspended to enhance performance. https://coppercoatusa.com/ck426.php

If applying the Coppercoat to that specific barrier coat, no sanding is required if you apply within 24 hours.

We ended up with 2 coats/barrier and 5 coats Coppercoat. Once applied, we sanded (320 grit) the cured application -- to remove the surface layer of epoxy and 'expose' a maximum amount of copper for anti-fouling. You can see some pictures in our album- during and post-sanding. It's very hard, very solid and totally fine to be trailered.

We talked to some folks who have had this on for many years (10-12) without reapplication.. and, being mostly in fresh water - I'm hoping this will last a good long time for us.

Just thought it might be of interest to some of this community as an option. (First post in this forum.. so go easy if I screwed it up in some way Smile )

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it will work well for you, being in fresh water, and out of the water for part of the year. It has not been a total success for cruising sailors. Here is a link to a couple who had a horror story about Copper Coat. Finally the inventor (from the UK) flew to the Caribbean and applied it himself. It seems to be working.

I have been following this material for a number of years, even though I no longer have a large sailing vessel moored in salt water full time. Many have had excellent results, but some not so good. There are multiple discussions about its use and applications.

I might add that there are a number of harbors that have restrictions on copper containing antifouling paints because of the negative effects on the environment. (I used the most toxic and highest concentration paints for years, unknowingly). When I left the boat in Sequim John Wayne Marina, for 4 winters, a number of years ago--diving and scrubbing the bottom was not legal (there were some illegal divers, but I believe that is strictly enforced now.

I believe that the standard is : "no more than Copper hull paints with leach rates over 9.5 µg/cm2/ day are not allowed to be sold for use " Some places Wiil not allow "sanding" but will allow scrubbing with the 3M white, green or maroon pads. Have used a lot of very toxic bottom paints with up to over 70% copper. Way back we used something called "Cape Cod Compound". It would burn if you got it on your skin--eyes were particularly susceptible! When we were racing the entire bottom was burnished before the boat was launched, and then weekly it was cleaned with either pads or Terry cloth rags to get any scum off the bottom.

I am looking forward to how well it works. Please keep us posted!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jep27

City/Region: New Haven
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Lunasa
Photos: Lunasa
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dr. Bob -- and as ever for all your inputs and sage advice!

The story line on the problematic applications you reference were certainly cause for concern. Hopefully, my read of their issues and how to avoid are accurate.. (that's the bet I made) but, as you say, time will tell.

With regard to environmental concerns... that was one of the primary reasons we went with this approach - the level is 1.4 micrograms vs. the 9 micrograms you reference. Knowing you are a scholar of analysis and detail.. you might find this an interesting read. Coppercoat seems to be the highest rated 'environmentally sensitive' option we found.
https://coppercoat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/AMC_Enviromental_Report_3.1.pdf.pagespeed.ce.11QuInPXEH.pdf

Again -- appreciate all your inputs and I'll keep you posted as we move forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: