View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: OUPV/SixPack License Reply with quote

Curious if anyone has ever taken the training for this.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OUPV/SixPack License Reply with quote

homerjack wrote:
Curious if anyone has ever taken the training for this.

I have done the OUPV class and then testing a few years later for the Master License when I had enough sea days. The instructor I had for the OUPV class said that more than 50% of the people who take the class don't follow up with the rest of the paperwork, medical, drug testing, fingerprinting, references, TWIC card, etc, etc that it takes to get the license. I found it was outstanding training - I learned a lot.

Even if you think you may not use the license, the education will make you a better and safer boater. Some captain classes are "mills" that teach you take the test. The instructor I had for the OUPV was tough and wanted to make sure you knew the material... he said, "If you get a license and do something stupid out there, it is a reflection on me."

At the absolute opposite, I needed to re-certify for CPR and First Aid, and found a captains class that offered that the last day of their classes. He let me sign up just for the CPR and First Aid, since I already had a Master License. He had people taking the Master class who had ZERO sea time. You have to have 720 days minimum for that license... and the class certificate is good for up to ONE YEAR from the time it is issued... meaning there is no way those guys with zero logable sea time would qualify for the license. Both classes I took required you to have the sea time as a prerequisite. Just putting that out there when you are shopping around for training.

You can study on your own and go to a Coast Guard center for testing. Nice thing about taking classes: you can test, get results right away, and move on to the next section for studying. There were 5 tests for the OUPV. Nice to not have to do all 5 tests one right after the other.

Hope that helps.
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, thanks. Yes, I was thinking along the lines of training more than license. A bit steep at $700 here locally so we'll see. Thanks again.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good reason not to obtain a Captain's license, say just to hang the plaque on
your wall, is that if you do have a problem on the water involving serious personal
injury or significant property damage, you, now a licensed Captain, may be held to
a higher standard and incur more liability than the average swashbuckler.

A good reason to obtain a Captain's license is being able to post the following
aboard your vessel:

"Onboard marriages performed by the Captain
are valid only for the duration of this voyage."

Otherwise, unless you have a need, don't bother.

Aye.

gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a masters license and do use it. I did take a class to prepare for and take the exam. As noted, some classes are just teaching you to answer the questions and some try to really teach you the material. I think a lot will depend on the instructor. My instructor was a former captain for Sun Oil, and although I have had better teachers, he clearly knew his stuff and the sea stories were worth the admission price. I gained a whole new appreciation for depths when he discussed calculating the tide and pushing barges of oil with inches of water to spare.

However, if you are not planning on actually getting a license, you might consider taking courses in the areas you are interested in such as navigation, rules of the road, etc. It might be more cost effective, although maybe not. Again, all depends on the school and instructor.

Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished mine in March. I still need to get the paperwork together and send it off for my license. 50 Ton Masters Inland and Towing Endorsement.
Cfoster

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the class about 8-9 years ago w/ Sea School and now hold a 50 Ton Inland Masters w/ Towing Endorsement. The knowledge I gained was incredible and I would highly recommend doing it if you're interested. It's not easy to get the Six Pack (OUPV) license and you have to study for the exam, but it's well worth the time and money in my opinion. It may never pay you back unless you take a job towing or moving boats for hire but it will get you discounts on your insurance and make you a much better skipper. The other thing is it will make you realize how many boaters out there have no idea of the Rules of the Road or what they're really doing.
MMSI #338079033
2008 Grady White Tournament 225
"There is nothing-absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame

Last edited by Cfoster on Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cfoster

City/Region: Louisville
State or Province: KY
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the class about 8-9 years ago w/ Sea School and now hold a 50 Ton Inland Masters w/ Towing Endorsement. The knowledge I gained was incredible and I would highly recommend doing it if you're interested. It's not easy to get the Six Pack (OUPV) license and you have to study for the exam, but it's well worth the time and money in my opinion. It may never pay you back unless you take a job towing or moving boats for hire but it will get you discounts on your insurance and make you a much better skipper. The other thing is it will make you realize how many boaters out there have no idea of the Rules of the Road or what they're really doing.
Sheepshead

City/Region: hilton head
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Photos: Sheepshead
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Sea School class and picked up the 6 pack license a few months before I got my C Dory. I learned a good bit, though, a lot of it was designed to help attendees just pass the CG test.
Still, it's something to be proud of. Any additional training is a good thing in my mind!
I never plan to use mine for commercial purposes. However, I like to take out small groups of divers, and I wanted to make sure I do everything possible to ensure safety.
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: OUPV Reply with quote

A friend of mine gave me the sea school course that he won in a regatta. It was about to expire and I took the course, I followed through and got the license. I've considered doing a little chartering and or maybe sailing lessons in my American 18. I was pretty close to downloading that HOBA app which is like UBER for boats but decided against it when I saw their take. I still roll it around in my head but I already have a job and am not really excited to add another. I've never used the license which I've had over 10 years. I did work as a rigger on a tall ship for a while, but the license wasn't required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: