Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob and Betsy, Hope you guys have a great and safe trip and hope to see you this winter in Az.

Fred and Robbin
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob...Bob Austin beat me to the invite...

Hi Bob!
Agree you don’t often need radar for this trip.
Much of the southern ICW can be thought of as a 9 foot ditch with tugboats and barges that have a 10 foot draft plowing through it. There are no fast ferries etc. Get out of the way by going just outside the ICW channel. Receive-only AIS is a $200 black box I rec’d over radar as you can talk directly to targets (which show up labelled on your plotter) by name or direct MMSI call to their bridge.
Don’t travel at night, you’re on vacation.
I’m sure you’re aware of the dearth of marinas/fuel between Demopolis and Mobile (no marinas in Mobile either).
If you haven’t resolved your fridge issue yet, when time is short the easiest option is to replace it with the same new model. That way you know it will fit in the cavity, and it’s only 4 screws and an AC and DC plug to plug in and voila, new fridge is working.
Do you have military ID? (I notice you’re starting in a small USAF town and ending in a big Navy town). If so the PNS NAS Navy Bayou Grande marina has hot showers, no fuel (Sherman Cove is right on the ICW but no showers, but has 88.5 ethanol free gas @ $3.50/gal). Directly across is Ft McCrae cove, a protected deep anchorage since 1648. If we’re here (no plans now) we’d be glad to give you a ride to WalMart or West Marine or bx or other shopping.
See reviews of Marriott Point Clear Marina on East side of Mobile bay, not many transient spots but you can use indoor heated pool and public areas, great restaurant with sunset views. After Mobile bay, see reviews of LuLu’s (Jimmy Buffett’s sister’s place), The Wharf marina, Pirates’Cove burgers, and The Oyster Bar at Perdido. If winds are gentle and from the North (or if you’re casting off at dawn) consider going out Perdido Pass into the Gulf and hugging the sandy Gulf shore up to Pensacola Pass. The last portion is 6 miles of pristine Gulf Islands Natl Seashore. Due to shorebird nesting this time of year, you mostly can not walk across from the Gulf to ICW sides except at boardwalks which don’t show on your nautical maps but do on Google Earth. Ends at Ft McCrae ruins and the ‘cove’ there.
Onboard NAS PNS you can visit/climb the historic lighthouse and visit the Navy Air Museum with civilian ID. See

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/blue-angels/

for the current Blu Angels practice schedule.
If winds are North and gentle, again you can venture out Pensacola Pass and hug the shore over to Destin Pass, along many miles of USAF owned pristine Santa Rosa Island doing 6 MPH at 3 feet you’ll see and can avoid the sugar sand bottom and 2nd sand bar.
After Destin, Sandestin Baytowne marina has a few transient slips (many million$ boats) but great food and free trolley to the beach and pool access. Call ahead.
Panama City has 2 nice city marinas, the eastern one with bus transport to the mall. TAFB marina has no transient slips or power.
If you like hiking long pristine beach islands, St Joe Penn State Park is the next one, or St Joe Marina the alternative. Next up St Vincents Island, very difficult, very shallow, fast tides and no nav info, take the pontoon ferry and island bike tour instead.

Next up Dog Island, private but sandy beaches. Don’t tie up at ferry or seaplane docks, run aground out of the way.
That gets you to the Big Bend and the end of our familiar areas until Tampa.

Dog Island to Crystal River I'd think of as a 'jaunt', not an 'overnight', but of course that depends on on your speed and time of departure. 30 MPH @ dawn on April 10 and the math says 'no problem, man'. Even if you leave 6 hours after dawn. No problem, man.

Have a great trip, email me for info johnhighsmith9@gmail.com.
John

Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Charleston SC Reply with quote

I've never been through the ICW in Ga but I've heard its beautiful, hopefully we'll see it now. In the past when sailing South it's always been easier to do it on the outside. As far as SC, I've heard Dafuski island is a great place to visit, although I can't speak from personal experience. Beaufort is a great little sleepy town, as is Georgetown, both are pretty much right on the ICW though and hard to miss. A great ~20 ish mile cruise off the beaten path is up the Waccamaw to Conway, it's a beautiful stretch of fresh water to a small town dock, hopefully we'll be doing this ourselves in the next couple of months and will report back. I guess I'm partial as we live in Charleston, but it is an amazing city, there's a good anchorage or two and a few good marinas, lots to do. Plus if you need anything while you're here just shoot us a message. Also in the North Santee, if you head upstream several miles, just under the hwy 17 bridge to starboard there is an old plantation house that has a restaurant and tea room. I really wouldn't miss that, there's a boat landing right before the bridge where you can dock and walk over. There use to be some rickety docks at the plantation, you may be able to land a dinghy, but I think the last flood really tore them up, not sure if they are repaired yet. They have good food.

Have Fun,
Brandon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why John left out Dog River, but this is the usual stop, just South of Mobile AL from Demopolis.

I would advise against going outside from Pensacola to Destin. Interesting coast inside, and only one short "no wake zone" (after Perdido Key) in the Fort Walton Area. Hopefully John's comments were tongue in cheek.

We are more anchor out folks--and there are a number of great anchorages all along the Gulf Coast ICW.

Don't know your cruising speed, range, or plan for crossing the "Big Bend"--but there are any number of alternatives, depending on the weather and range. There are a number of stops from Steinhatchee River at 66 NM, 120 NM at Crystal River to about 150 miles to Tarpon Springs--I would not consider doing any of this at 30 knots in your 25' C Dory,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B&B Burks

City/Region: Green Valley
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. We will arrive back in Columbus Ms tonight after dropping off our truck and trailer in Portsmouth Va , so far we have been doing a lot of driving. We did take a side trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway and it is a treasure. Did not make the whole Parkway but we would recommend it to everyone. Now it’s time to get everything on the boat ready and start the voyage. Will post more as we travel.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Loopers B B Reply with quote

Good Luck and safe journey send us a pm when near Naples Fl. Jim and Loree
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
B&B Burks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A special thanks to Steve and Joan for helping two needy souls who are looped or looping. Thank you both for the help.
We are off and boating down the Tenn Tom. Nervous about are first lock
experience it turned out to be like riding a bike, been there done that. After
100+ whatttt. The new to us boat runs well and we are enjoying her. The
only problem is putting all the stuff someplace. We will be away from home
for four months and that a lot of stuff. Oh well.
We do look forward to seeing a few friends on the way and taking our time
to enjoy the towns and people on the way. We will anchor out when needed
but people are where it’s at and marinas and cities have them.
So we are off, Demopolis tomorrow and then to Bobby fish camp. Our stay
in Columbus, marina as excellent and the people were great and very helpful.
We are anchor in a delightful cove at Sumter landing. As all C-Dorys swinging
in the breeze. Time for dinner and get ready for the adventure tomorrow.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Loopers Reply with quote

The Adventure begins Have Fun take your time and enjoy Jim and Loree
jennykatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Loopers Reply with quote

The Adventure begins Have Fun take your time and enjoy Jim and Loree
B&B Burks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Hello
We are off on a slow cruise down the Tenn Tom. Occasionally I do have to do some high steeping and run her up over 20kts. Lots of logs in the water and we have had wind which makes for white caps and 2 to 3 close chop. Like my wiper blades.. I am having a hard time not figuring out why Bobby’s Fish Camp was not on favorite stops in the south. We are definitely in the south and Bobby’s is the last fuel stop, or the last anything until Mobile. Go figure,
just an oversight I am sure. Not a whole lot to do here, I would need some wood to whittle. The are said to have the best catfish in Alabama and we will have to try some.
For those traveling this way Demopolis Kingfisher Marina is top drawer. Great stay only problem it was to short a stay. Nice folks and nice boaters.
Tomorrow is a weather day for us 3 inches of thunder storms projected.
Keep a light on for us.
Bob
B&B Burks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Hello
We are off on a slow cruise down the Tenn Tom. Occasionally I do have to do some high steeping and run her up over 20kts. Lots of logs in the water and we have had wind which makes for white caps and 2 to 3 close chop. Like my wiper blades.. I am having a hard time not figuring out why Bobby’s Fish Camp was not on favorite stops in the south. We are definitely in the south and Bobby’s is the last fuel stop, or the last anything until Mobile. Go figure,
just an oversight I am sure. Not a whole lot to do here, I would need some wood to whittle. The are said to have the best catfish in Alabama and we will have to try some.
For those traveling this way Demopolis Kingfisher Marina is top drawer. Great stay only problem it was to short a stay. Nice folks and nice boaters.
Tomorrow is a weather day for us 3 inches of thunder storms projected.
Keep a light on for us.
Bob
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"]
B&B Burks wrote:

The only overnight trip you will do is across the Gulf of Mexico from Carrabelle (Dog Island) to Tarpon Springs. .

If you'd rather not do that and do smaller day trips and see some really cool places go see St Marks, Steinhatchee, Cedar Key, and then Tarpon Springs.

Really cool spots and what Old Florida was like. To me not to be missed.

Before you get there Palaxfox in downtown Pensacola is a tad out of the way but extremely cool, PegLegs in Pensacola Beach is a really cool place that not many people know about.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
B&B Burks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,Hello, to our friends who are following us on our adventure.
We left Bobby’s and down streamed to an anchorage just off the river, all good. After that amount of rain lots of logs in the water, but we zigzagged our way down past some very helpful tow skippers, past Mobile to Dog River.
The marinas there are really boat yards and fuel docks and it did not work well for us. Best to say my bride is a real trooper. Mobile Bay can really kick up
some waves and there were 2’s to 4’s on the way into Dog River and we decided to leave at O Dark 30 for Pensacola and Parafax Marina. Thank you Ken for that recommendation, it was a great stop and would have liked to stay longer but the adventure continues. In Pensacola we had lunch and toured and visited the lovely home of Bob and Marie. We have been with the Austin’s on other occasions on the water but nice to be able to picture them in a home setting. Special time.
Then off to Bluewater Marina in Niceville. Nice. Kind of a funkie place but we like it. Recommend by some boating buddies in Demopolis and glad they did.
Oops, we are staying longer here because of weather, rain and wind. There is a AGLCA harbor host here and docktails were in order. A very “nice” couple in Niceville. I do love the name Niceville. Will do some provisioning here, need some fruit and romaine lettuce. Bad joke. The marina here is very active and it a real pleasure to see people enjoying water craft of all types and sizes.
Sail boat race out in the bay, fishing boats,paddle boards et al. Very fun.
There are young kids playing in the water and making memories, does make a water person nostalgic and joyful.
Fair winds and calm seas to you all
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed Palafox. Blue Water Bay Marina is where I keep my boat. In the high and dry.

I stayed at St Andrew's Marina in Panama City a couple months ago (your next stop) and it was wonderful. Floating docks and you tie up on the middle dock. Easy. Also several nice restaurants within walking distance and historic area. I loved it!
B&B Burks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ken for your help. We will try St Andrews Marina if they have room.
We also plan to cross to Steinhatchee and visit the the small ports on our way south. As this cruise evolves we really like input like yours and others to enjoy the areas we are going thru. Thanks again.
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: