HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25ft Classic Cruiser or Tomcat 255?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaB

City/Region: Yelm
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: 25ft Classic Cruiser or Tomcat 255? Reply with quote

Thanks for letting this wannabee on the forum! I have just returned from today's NMI open house up in Bellingham. While there, my wife, boy, and I were able to ride the 23ft Venture and the Tomcat 255 plus get a tour of the factory. We had a great time and the hosts were very accommodating.

Since fishing is my passion, I felt the 23 Venture or the 22 Angler would be perfect and still provide an overnighting option. But, my wife (fishing partner) demands a proper walk-in head. This points me towards the 25 Cruiser or Tomcat 255. It also raises a few questions that I'm hoping you experienced owners may be able to answer.

But, before I ask them, here's some background. I live near the south sound and intend to tow the boat to wherever the fish, crab, shrimp are biting (south sound, north sound, hood canal, etc). I hope to accomplish this with a 1/2 ton pick-up truck. I intend to rig the boat with downriggers and primarily troll for fish. I like the idea of being able to overnight on the water and do more fishing. That said:

1. I am certain a 2018 Ford F150 with tow package can comfortably handle a 25 Cruiser on a long haul, but can it handle an outfitted Tomcat 255 with fuel, gear, and all? I'm hoping some Tomcat owners can chime in with experiences, here.

2. I am not an experienced saltwater fisher, so I'd like to get some opinions on long-term trolling in the Puget Sound with 2 big motors. The Tomcat will run 2 x 150hp motors, will that allow me to spend the day trolling at low speeds or are there engine wear concerns?

3. My other option is to get a 25 Cruiser with a single 200hp and a kicker for trolling. I'd appreciate opinions on this vs. the above option.

4. Also, what size kicker is best for trolling with the 25 Cruiser?

5. Any other opinions on the two boats are more than welcome. I'd appreciate any insights from fellow fisherman that run one of these two boats, especially when it comes to gear and rigging the boat for fishing.

jbdba01

State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a newer F150 that has the extra capacity (some will only pull 8K pounds) you'll want to look at a heavy duty truck. The tow package on base units will not be enough. You might get away with it for REALLY short flat tows, but I'm not seeing that happening. That's a lot of boat. If I reacall I read that fully loaded, full tanks, gear...some guys were over 10K pouds. I'll let them chime in, but I seriously doubt you'll get away with a lower end F150. I suspect that by the time you add all the gizmos to get to to 11K pounds you'll be at the price of a 250.

Regarding trolling - I troll at 4-5 knots. No issues 2001 Yamahas HPDI 150's. 500 hours.

Regarding other boats...I looked at the TC - very good boat. Almost bought one, but at the end of the day a Glacier Bay 2670 met my needs better. However, I'm in FL where an open boat looked like it made more sense, and with the huge cockpit it's really more of a fisher than a cruiser. I really like this boat...the ride is crazy good. MPG it's OK at 2 at cruise speed of 26-28 mph. Wide open is 40. Might merit looking into some. GB has a head for the wife. 2670 has an enclosed cuddy - queen size berth.

Other boat might include a Wold Cat. BTW - GB went out of business and is now owned by WC.

FWIW - I'm pretty much done with the mono hull. The cat ride is just crazy good. Test the two on a nasty day winds +15 and you'll see why. You might hear some things about quartering seas, rocking when stopped...to me it was internet chatter and until you try it yourself it's just cyber babble.

Circling back to the truck - I have a 2016 5.7 Tundra that pulls 10.3K; I'm hovering around the 9000-9500 pound range and am fine. Bought it for 28K with 11K miles on it.

If I was in your shoes I would offer beer and gas to some folks on this forum and see if you can get a 1/2 day cruise/fish. 1/2-1 hour on a boat isn't enough.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Steve. This same question comes up from time to time here. The two boats are VERY different. Yes, they have similar cabins, but that is where the similarity ends. First is the cost difference: the TC255 will be substantially more $$.

The ride is different: the TomCat will handle small chop better than the CD-25, if you want to keep your speed up. When conditions get snotty, you will be slowing down in either boat.

Cabin space and storage (including the berth size/shape) is more in the TomCat.

Towing is significantly different when you see both boats on the trailer. The CD-25 hull fits between the wheels of the trailer and sets considerably lower than the TomCat - that makes for easier launching and retrieving for the CD-25. The TomCat, due to the catamaran hulls sits above the the trailer wheels. Along with that, the TC255 will likely be 1,000 more than the CD-25. For some perspective, our CD-25 was 8,700 pounds on the trailer, with less than 1/4 tank of fuel and many of the cruising items in the bed of the pickup.

And, speaking of pickup, I hear about the towing specs of the newest Ford F150, but haven't checked it out personally, so I can't offer an opinion. Again, from my perspective, a half ton truck would be marginal for the CD-25 and unsafe for the TomCat. We towed our CD-25 with a 3/4 ton diesel, and it was a good match-up. Electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer... with surge brakes, the towing was less comfortable and on long downhills, downright unpleasant. Towing these boats gets discussed here very regularly, and you will read varying opinions... you can't believe the posted towing weights in the brochure - we found they were off by over a ton.

We don't fish, so I can't speak to which is better, but we found the CD-25 a great couple's cruiser. We traveled a few times with friends who have a TC255, and they were just as comfortable, but there are different "hull noises" at anchor - the CD-25 may get a little "slap", the TC255 gets more noise by the berth due to the low bridge-deck. Different boats, different characteristics.

I you want to go fast, especially in light chop, the TC255 is your boat. If you want easier towing/launching, you may be looking at the CD-25. Budget, weight, engine costs and maintenance (twice for the TC255), storage, sleep accommodations, initial cost... lots to consider.

Good luck with the decisions.

Dr. Bob will probably comment here - he has owned both.

Jim
WannaB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

Thanks for the all the info. I do want to clarify my intent, though.

I am not really attempting to compare the two boats before purchase. Instead, I am hoping to gain owner/experienced knowledge of how these two boats may or may not fit my current situation.

I'd love to hear from an owner that has towed a fully equipped boat with a 1/2-ton truck. The F150 I have is rated at 13,200lbs (with max trailer tow package), but can it handle the weight of a fully equipped Tomcat or for that matter a fully equipped 25 Cruiser? Especially when my trips will require 45 minutes to two hours of towing, one-way.

I am a fisherman with the ambitions of being an overnighting fisherman in the Puget Sound. This means I'll do a lot of trolling. I'd love to hear from some CDory-owning fisherman on the pros and cons of each boat as a fishing platform. The Tomcat has an engine platform with twin engines and the 25 Cruiser has a single and a kicker on the transom. I suspect there are pros and cons when it comes to fishing?

Again, thanks for the info. I'm just trying to split the final hairs before purchase> Smile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.
Buying any of these boats, especially the 25 or Tom Cat 255 is a decision not to be taken lightly. Before I bought my Tom Cat, I drove several Tom Cats in various conditions, as well as the Glacier Bay and World Cat--the closes competitors. In up to 3 foot chop, the Tom Cat is far superior in ride than the C Dory 25. On the other hand in a month at a time in the PNW, Broughtons, and Alaska, there was only an average of one day we could not run because of weather.

I would prefer the C Dory 25 for slow trolling. The Tom Cat tends to drag the bridge deck at slower speeds. However there are a number who do use them for fishing. The Tom Cat 30--Not made any longer, has provision for a kicker in the center and 8 HP high trust will give decent trolling speeds.

As for towing: The C Dory 25 is going to come in at about 8,000 lbs, and the Tom Cat at 10,000 to 11,000 lbs on the trailer.

Yes, the numbers keep going up for the 150 in tow capacity...this is basically based on engine and transmissions. The suspension is still about the same, and you probably will need upgrades for even the 25. I towed both my Tom Cat 255 and the 25 with a Diesel 3/4 ton. This will be a far superior truck for towing either of theses. The 25 was significantly easier to tow than the Tom Cat.

Although we fish, there are those who are far more skilled than we are.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here I go.

First of all, what's the money situation? If you've got enough for a TC255, then you've probably going to have enough for a 3/4 truck and e/h brakes. Just to be contrary, you don't need a diesel or V-10.

Second of all, regardless of tow ratings, any 1/2 ton with a V-8 and auto trans will pull the 25. I point out that I've done it with a '63 Chevvie 1/2 ton (350 V-8 and 4 speed auto) and had no problems towing. that's between LA and Bellingham, over the Oregon pass. The tow capacity of the 1/2 ton Ford is a bonus. You're only towing 8000 lbs on relatively flat land. I don't know about the 255, it's heavier and more awkward and I don't own one.

If you want a 22, but your wife wants a real head, the 25 is a reasonable upgrade. That's one of the reasons we now own Journey On. Why go to a catamaran? It's a wonderful boat with a whole new set of problems.

Boris
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25 is a great cruiser and fishing boat. We use our for both and fish salmon, in the sound and ocean, crab and shrimp. We have the Honda 150 and Honda 9.9 kicker. Plenty of room in the cabin and cockpit for it all. As you are thinking of 200 hp main, good choice. Several here have upgraded and the boat performs really well and with better mileage, too.

We tow with a 1996 Ford F 250 diesel and have surge brakes. Probably will upgrade to electric over hydraulic for towing up onto Vancouver Island.

We tow in Western Washington so surge brakes are fine, not too hilly where we go

Good luck, you're choosing a great boat.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are thinking about the 200hp if you get the 25. Love mine!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve: What's your budget? If you're looking at buying new then I could consider paying extra for the 26 Venture.

IMHO: A 26 Venture with twins is the best boat that C Dory offers. But they're pricey!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Steve: What's your budget? If you're looking at buying new then I could consider paying extra for the 26 Venture.

IMHO: A 26 Venture with twins is the best boat that C Dory offers. But they're pricey!

I would debate you on that. I feel that the Tom Cat is a better boat--and probably more expensive. But it depends on what your goals are and what you like in the interior layout.
WannaB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:

An option I did not consider, but worth the thought.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WannaB wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:

An option I did not consider, but worth the thought.

I looked at both and could afford both but I like the looks of the 25 better and I like the headroom. Both are outstanding boats however.
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have towed my 25 with a Toyota Tundra. In has a 10,000lb towing capacity and tows my boat just fine. It does have large brakes and my trailer has electric over hydraulic brakes which help a lot.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your F150 would be fine but consider a disc brake electric over hydraulic trailer. There is a guy selling a 255 on here with lots of fishing experience in the puget sound, give him a call.

Call me in a year, or 3 months once I get some lines in the water! Great choices between the two, I went with the 25 for purchase and long term costs.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I'm an avid fisherman that has become a cruiser. The closest I can come to compare the 25 mono hull to the TC255 is that I had a 24ft striper that I fished for 7 years and was very satisfied with. I have had a Tomcat for 11 years now. There is no comparison for the comfort that the TC offers. Trolling is fine with the TC if trolling for salmon one engine is off, trolling for tuna requires both engines since we troll at 7-9 kts. The fish boxes and live well in the TC is great for what ever type of fishing you do. A mono hull will list badly if all on board go to the side where a fish is getting landed. The TC is level, stable, safer and comfortable. Since purchasing the TC we have become avid cruisers also. The berth is as comfortable as a queen size bed and easy to access. We go to BC annually and occasionally to SE Alaska we have lived on the TC for as much as 3 months very comfortably. I would not even consider a mono hull for my situation.

As far a tow vehicle the TC weighs between 11 - 12000 lbs on the trailer loaded with gear. My original tow vehicle for the TC was a 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. It was fine for the 6000 lb striper and works only fair for the TC. In 2012 I purchased a High Output Dodge 3/4 ton and it is fantastic for towing the TC. If you buy either 25 cruiser or TC a more than satisfactory tow vehicle will open up more opportunities for traveling to different locations to fish and cruise. Four wheel drive is absolutely essential for the truck.

I will send you a PM with my phone number, if you would like to talk about the comparisons and get more information.

Gene Morris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: