The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Appoximate towing weight of a C-Dory 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure C-Dory never actually put any of their boats on an actual scale. Instead, they put their boats on the sales department scale.....3500 pounds with boat, motor, and trailer is a fantasy for a 22. Perhaps one with a 2 stroke johnson 70 hp, no gas, no water, and the cabin full of helium.

Mine (and others) are tanks with dual Honda 45 outboards, 4 batteries, 76 gallons of fuel, 4 shrimp pots, 2400 feet of sinking line, 6 gallons extra water, 3 hardshell kayaks, a 3.5 kicker for the kings, fishing poles, food for 5 days or more, adult beverages, kid beverages, ice, BBQ, camp stove, propane, anchor, 4 person tent, sleeping bags, various guns and ammo, 400 feet of anchor rope and anchor, 40 feet of chain.....and other stuff that adds up....I know you don't believe it, but it still doesn't really have any trouble getting on step and going 20-25 MPH with 2-3 heavy adults and 2-3 kids. I'm actually afraid to put it on a scale.....It's a good thing everything I have is rated to pull alot. The pounding some have noted with chop I don't get much of...go figure....

I know you are looking at a 25.....I'm sure you'll never get it down to 5000 pounds - ever.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That light boat weight by the factory sounds like it is w/o engine(s), no gas, water, batteries, anchors, etc, kinda like Boris on Journey On put it.

I'm probably the oddball in the group. My 2003 C-Dory Cruiser appears to be lighter than most, it is s/n 007 (3rd of the newer style since 1996). I weighed it on a Salvation Army scale, unhitched and tongue included on the scale. It weighed 7,425 lbs, and that was in late 2006 after 3 years of use, so all the basic equipment on board. This model year has the thin (1/4") roof, no extra fiberglass cover panel for the batteries, and without several other weight additions that came in later years -- though those additions look very nice.

I have towed it since 2004 with a 2003 Ford Expedition, 5.4L, 3.73 ratio differentials, 4-wheel drive, tow package, rated for 8,700 lbs tow capacity (including passengers and any gear in the tow vehicle). 8,900 lbs tow capacity for the 2-wheel drive model. The Expedition is a 1/2 ton vehicle, but in 2003 it was redesigned extensively for a higher tow rating, rear independent suspension, etc. In these past 14 yrs I estimate I've put at least 20k+ miles towing, including every year over the Grapevine (between SoCal and Bakersfield, CA), about 6,000 ft climb. I don't "muscle" the Expedition, rather I watch the speed and RPMs religiously, dropping manually into 2nd gear on ANY incline, just to keep it easy on the trans and power train. Most hills are taken at 45-50 mph, although some of the very, very steep ones I drop into 1st gear and hold 35 mph at 3500 rpm until over the hill. Down steep hills, I watch my speed as well. I have gone 65+ mph and tested the stability, no issues, it is a great setup, the best I've every had with any boat. Not towing I see 17-20 mpg, depending on wind, terrain, # of people/gear, mostly camping trips. Like Colby said, it's a trade-off. I use my Expe enough throughout the year that the gas mileage is somewhat significant and worth the babying I do for towing (to me).

I have an equalizing hitch and surge brakes (4 wheels), the combo works fine. The trailer was built with a sliding hitch just to accommodate. The trade-off though is you have to keep the hitch weight fairly light, because if you crank up the equalizer too tight, it will bind against the surge brakes action.

7,425 lbs with the following conditions:
- Galvanized steel trailer (27 ft model), dual axle, 102" wide -- its estimated weight by Pacific Trailer is 2000-2200 lbs, leaf springs, wooden bunks and side bunk guides
- Twin Yamaha 80 4-strokes
- 1/2 tank gas (50 gal)
- 1/2 tank water (8 gal)
- 2 batteries, small amount of extra oil/maintenance supplies, tool box
- 2 anchors/rode, windlass
- Small bait tank (17 gal), plastic, empty
- Bimini for cockpit (no side windows), aluminum tubing
- 24" radar, stereo, VHF, GPS chartplotter, fishfinder
- Plus food, ice chest, kitchen supplies (always on board), clothes, sleeping bags for a weekend trip for 4

I watch carefully what I put on the boat, and unless it is REALLY needed, I don't leave it on the boat. I have had 14 previous boats (sail and power) and have watched some of them get overloaded by being lazy, just won't let it happen with this one. Now I'm curious, I'll have weigh it again, I have load range E tires now, and who knows, maybe weight creep has hit me too...

Average gas mileage over all these years is steady at 2.75 nmiles per gal. With twins and Permatrims, I'm happy. But it also supports that my boat is light. The CD-25's ride best as light as possible, the 22's don't seem to be as sensitive to weight for a good ride with their steeper bow entry angle.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out boat was loaded up for a trip so I finally took advantage and put it on a WASDOT scale near our house. The scale is used by the WSP for truck weight enforcement. However, I don't think they've used it for a few years. I can only assume it's correct or close. I disconnected the coupler from the truck so all the weight was on the scale pad. 8480 pounds.

2007 25 Cruiser
2006 150 horse Suzuki main
2010 9.8 horse Tohatsu kicker
2010 2.5 horse Suzuki dinghy outboard
1 ea group 27 and 31 batteries
~43 gallons of water (we carried extras in 5 & 1 gallon jugs)
100 gallons of fuel
22 lb anchor with 50' of 1/4" chain and 150' of 3/8" nylon 3 strand
provisions/supplies for 4 days (food, ice, drinks etc)
King Saltwater dual axle trailer w/ spare tire
dingy ~60 lbs
Honda genset
crab pot/gear and puller on board

I'm going to weigh it again, to confirm, at a commercial truck stop in Arlington next trip.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your weight on the trailer is about what I have found. That is why a 6800 lb trailer which some of the boats came on is not adequate. It would also be interesting to see what your tongue weight is, and the weight of the truck, to see if the truck is maxed out.

What is your trailer rated for?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it's a 7200 lb trailer. No way to confirm now as the sticker with serial number, model number etc has long ago faded to illegible. I have no idea on tongue weight, but I suppose I could weight it somehow. Truck weighs about 7600 lbs (full liquids, empty of humans and no gear). Weighed on the same WASDOT scale as the boat/trailer. Bone stock 3/4 ton diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigh the trailer as you did, then weigh the trailer with the truck hooked up to the truck.

The LoadRite trailer: LR-AB26T8400102LTB2 which most are using is a 8400 lb trailer. This is just for reference of those who pick up this thread and want to see what capacity trailer is being used. There are 9600# and 10,000# trailers for the C Dory 25.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Traveler (25) loaded.

7660 lbs weight on the trailer axles.
8304 lbs weight of boat and trailer
644 lbs tongue weight
Doug & Fran

City/Region: Calgary,
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Squirt Two
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2007 25' C-Dory, twin 90 hp outboards, on a Road Runner 6500 model trailer and a 1995 Ford F350 RWD one ton long box crew cab dually 7.3 litre turbo diesel.
When I worked out the towing capability of The Truck from the owner's manual, it appeared that we were exceeding its capacity (manual has gone missing (stolen) so I can't duplicate it; my message is to ignore what appears on the Internet and work out the specifics for your vehicle, using factory information. And I'll be trying to source a manual so I can redo the calculations). We're also exceeding the capacity of our trailer.
C-Dory's information showed the bare weight as 3602 in 2012; it now shows 3950. I calculate ours as weighing 5008 pounds (sans motors etc. etc. etc.)
They cited the average towing weight as 4800 lb (all in: trailer, motors, etc.) in 2012; in 2023 they show a more realistic 6340 pounds.
Based on a truck weigh scale in 2021 (and I have no idea how precise the scales are), with motors, fuel, dinghy, batteries, water etc. (but no personal supplies like food etc. etc.etc.) we're at 6556 pounds. This exceeds the trailer limit, but is only a bit more than 200 pounds above C-Dory's web-site estimate.
Our visually hairy-chested Truck gets remarkably limp-wristed with this load: we're over with the 18 wheelers with our 4-ways on, going up the steep hills along the TransCanada highway through the mountains of British Columbia.
Our tongue weight appears to be 1200 pounds.
The above seems consistent with the experience of others.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug & Fran wrote:
We have a 2007 25' C-Dory, twin 90 hp outboards, on a Road Runner 6500 model trailer and a 1995 Ford F350 RWD one ton long box crew cab dually 7.3 litre turbo diesel.
When I worked out the towing capability of The Truck from the owner's manual, it appeared that we were exceeding its capacity (manual has gone missing (stolen) so I can't duplicate it; my message is to ignore what appears on the Internet and work out the specifics for your vehicle, using factory information. And I'll be trying to source a manual so I can redo the calculations). We're also exceeding the capacity of our trailer.
C-Dory's information showed the bare weight as 3602 in 2012; it now shows 3950. I calculate ours as weighing 5008 pounds (sans motors etc. etc. etc.)
They cited the average towing weight as 4800 lb (all in: trailer, motors, etc.) in 2012; in 2023 they show a more realistic 6340 pounds.
Based on a truck weigh scale in 2021 (and I have no idea how precise the scales are), with motors, fuel, dinghy, batteries, water etc. (but no personal supplies like food etc. etc.etc.) we're at 6556 pounds. This exceeds the trailer limit, but is only a bit more than 200 pounds above C-Dory's web-site estimate.
Our visually hairy-chested Truck gets remarkably limp-wristed with this load: we're over with the 18 wheelers with our 4-ways on, going up the steep hills along the TransCanada highway through the mountains of British Columbia.
Our tongue weight appears to be 1200 pounds.
The above seems consistent with the experience of others.

Compare to my scaled weights above. Your tongue weight seems exceptionally high. For boat and trailer weights, it's best to get actual scale weights at a truck CAT scale. Or pull across one of the truck weigh stations. Both are fairly accurate. While the gouge for camping and utility trailer tongue weights is 10% of total trailer weight, for a boat it's 5-7%. On your 6500 lbs, did that include the trailer? As it seems a little light. You can figure about 1500 lbs for the trailer alone. If you didn't include the trailer, that would bring you up to a total of 8000 lbs, which seems more realistic for your "wet" (with fuel and water) 25. (My new Loadrite tandem axle aluminum trailer, with spare tire, scaled at 1600 lbs.) Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first C Dory 25 (2003) was only on about a 6500 lb cap. trailer. We also had a Ford 7.3 Liter on a Ford Excursion. (3/4 Ton SUV). It was wearing out tires, and not a good match up--also had the surge brakes (actually not legal in some Canadian provinces). You have to be able to apply the trailer brakes from the truck cab. Only electric, air, or electric over hydraulic brakes.

Quote:
Independent braking system is required where gross weight of load and vehicle exceeds 1,800kg (3,969lbs). Breakaway brakes are required on all trailers with a registered weight of over 1,350kg (2,977lbs).

We put a weight distribution hitch on the rig and it towed better. However that did not resolved any legal brake issues. We used that rig to tow up to Prince Rupert, as well as over the southern route across the USA.

We did fine with that rig--I don't remember any real issues on grades, but I was towing also behind a motor home, with a 10,000 lb capacity (reworked the transmission and frame hitch attachments by trailer shop.).

Definately more than "factory" specs. Much of this is probably what we put on the boats...Every lb. counts...
Doug & Fran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer is 1500 pounds, so our total load is a bit over 8000 pounds (sans all the stuff humans need, like food and a good book). Tongue weight of 1200 pounds is as calculated (front axle; rear axle; trailer axles; etc.). The jack (if that is the proper term) is rated at 1500 pounds, but it sure looks a wee bit spindly.
We also have the good electric hydraulic brakes with the separate controller under the dash of the Truck - I gotta fish out the manual and have a read to make sure I understand how to use it, and also to ensure it's properly adjusted.
Story: the plan was to bring Squirt II back from charter service out of Comox in Sept. 2020 and have her in Calgary and explore (primarily) some of the lakes in BC for a couple of years. We left the Truck in the adjacent city of Courtenay at a diesel shop so they could make sure the trailer was suitable for highway travel (it needed work!) and to check the Truck - which they advised had turned into a six cylinder as the rings on two of the pistons were no longer sealing. Dang! They had a used 7.3 litre power stroke that they were confident in, so we headed home sans boat sans Truck, and the shop pulled the full body off and swapped the engines out - an approach I hadn't thought about. I flew out in the Spring when the shop had this all done, and brought the Truck home, and Fran and I and Rolo the dog went out in late June and brought Squirt II back.
Didn't get her into the water until late summer, and the cooling water wasn't flowing when we fired the motors up. Took her into a shop and they identified the problems and ordered the parts that fall/winter, but didn't get the work done, and their sole marine mechanic quit that Spring. Well, he came back this past winter and we just got Squirt back at the beginning of July, and have been chasing where all the rain water is getting in etc. etc. etc. Pardon me for babbling on!
Doug & Fran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have commented that our tongue weight is calculated, not measured: Weighed the front, rear, and trailer axles separately; came back with the Truck only and weighed the front & rear axles sans trailer; and calculated the tongue weight.
The scale is pretty busy, and I surely don't like chances of being able to disconnect and get a reading on the trailer jack (and not a hope in heck of being able to lower the hitch end onto a jackstand to get a really accurate read) but I'd like to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: