The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Appoximate towing weight of a C-Dory 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred25

City/Region: Charlotte
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Appoximate towing weight of a C-Dory 25 Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just joined.

I don't have a CD yet, still trying to figure some things out. Thanks very much for any ideas:

1. If a CD25 with typical power has nothing in the gas/water/holding tanks and is on an aluminum trailer, is it possible to stay in or near the 5,000 lb towing range?

2. Is 10% tongue weight how these are towed or is more needed?

thanks,
fred
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a topic which comes up from time to time. Here is a chart which I developed that shows the weight of a C-Dory 25. The final tow weight of 8000 lbs includes a galvanized E-Z Loader trailer. You can substitute your own, but don't expect a great weight savings with an aluminum trailer, since only the main beams are Al. You can pick and chose what weight you want to include, but dont forget to include what's in the back of the truck and in the cab. Remember, if you're going to launch and cruise the boat, you'll need all the cruising gear and ancillaries when you get there. I think you're looking at pulling 7500 lbs.

7% to 10% tongue weight is adequate. In this case 500 lbs to 800 lbs.

Boris
fred25

City/Region: Charlotte
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris,

That is very helpful.

fred
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weights for my last road trip are listed below. The boat is an original CD25 which likely weighs a little more than the new model. It was loaded for a one to two week stay in the SJ Islands.

Truck hitched: 7950
Boat hitched: 7650
Truck unhitched: 7200

That leaves the boat and trailer weighing about 8400 pounds if the math is as simple as I make it. The scale I used was not long enough to weigh the entire 50'+ long rig.

If you take out 100 gallons of gas and 60 gallons of water you can subtract about 1300 pounds.

Again using my simple minded math, the tongue weight was 750 pounds, which is close to 10%. My hitch has a scale built in and it showed about the same. The Chevy 3/4 ton truck pulled it just fine with no sway or pushing things around.

Getting close to 5000 pounds towing a CD25 would be real tough.

It looks like I'm a little heavier than Boris, but I probably eat more so we needed more provisions.

Welcome to our little hole in the web! Keep up the boat search and research and you will figure out a way to make everything work.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up curious what the CD22 comes in at, my 2007 on an Aluminum twin axle trailer comes in right around 5100 lbs, fully loaded with a tongue weight at 405 lbs. Colby
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...but I probably eat more so we needed more provisions.

Laughing Laughing

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we weighed our boat/trailer, including the tongue weight on the 25, it came to 8,700. That was with less than a quarter tank of gas, full fresh water, empty holding tank, King galvanized Salt Water Series trailer. Some of our cruising gear (dinghy, dinghy motor, lines, fenders, life jackets (all things we wouldn't need in the boat while on land) were carried in the truck bed (locking cover).

I was told the towing weight "all up" would be 6,500 pounds (by the factory, at the time) when I ordered the boat. They missed that by over a ton! The specs on the brochure and website have not been updated in years... and it seems each factory entity that has taken over just keeps re-using that inaccurate information.

Fortunately, before we went to the factory to pick up our boat, other 25 owners told me what to really expect for towing weight. We bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to do the job.

The 25 is a great cruising boat, but you have to be prepared for what the boat will actually weigh. In my experience, I can't imagine getting the towing weight down to 6.500 pounds on the boat and trailer, beyond a bare boat.

We converted the surge brakes to electric over hydraulic, which makes a significant difference in safely towing, as well.

Getting the right tow vehicle for that boat will make your cruising/towing experience safer and less stressful.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you some idea, I have towed my own C Dory 25 over 15,000 miles with a diesel Excursion--basically a 3/4 ton rig. We towed my son's Cruise Ship (like Mikes)--with no water, less than 1/4 tank fuel, and only gear was the kicker (8 hp) and a couple of anchors. It was straining the capacity of my GMC Yukon XL with HD towing package (rated at 6800 lbs.) We overheated the transmission going over the Grapevine on I 5 in Calif. (No harm, we were watching the temp carefully, had synthetic fluid, and stopped to let it cool off on a pull out. I changed the fluid which was not burned.) My son bought a Toyota Tundra with a tow capacity of 9800 lbs.

There are a few 1/2 pickups which are rated for the higher weights, but be sure and check all of the specs of the hitch and the truck--many hitches/trucks are rated over 5,000 lbs only with a weight equalizing hitch. A vehicle such as a Highlander or 4 runner would not be safe or satisfactory for towing a C Dory 25.
I don't think you could get the weight down to 5,000 lbs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not owned or towed a 25 but I have scaled my 22 Cruiser with full fuel and water (45 & 15 Gal), on a Pacific tandem, galvanized trailer. It is 4900 pounds. And that was with provisions for only a weekend. No cooler, fish box or dingy.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moderately loaded 22 will barely meet your 5000 lb weight. In my opinion, no one should be towing at max weight because of emergency stopping and wear and tear on xmissions and engines. I upped to a 2500 diesel when I stopped towing fishing boats and started towing pocket cruisers like the 22 and 25. But I'm not just going a few miles on the flat to a launch ramp. I'm always in desert heat or mountains.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-Dory 25 brochure states that the boat weight is 3600 lbs and it hasn't been changed in the past 15 year. What is missing is that this is the bare weight of the boat without any of the standard equipment: refridg, trim tabs, hydraulic steering, winch, batteries, etc. Probably no windshield wipers.

So the factory weight may not be off, but we're looking for the weight of an "out the door" boat which isn't given. You have to build it up and I've tried. Missed a few things, added more cruising gear, etc. But it's close and I've started with a bare boat weight of 3600 lbs.

You're going to be towing close to 8000 lbs, don't forget what's in the back of the truck and cruising with at least 7000 lbs.

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my opinion, no one should be towing at max weight because of emergency stopping and wear and tear on xmissions and engines.

I would disagree. If you have your tow vehicle and trailer set up appropriately, no reason you can't tow right up to the limit. I'd bet that those limits are set for legality, not structural. But I wouldn't push over the limit. I towed my CD22 for several years with a Toyota Highlander before I got the F150. And that included 3 round trips out over the Rockies. But I also had electric brakes and didn't "overtow" my capabilities by speeding, etc. And I maintained both the vehicle and trailer fairly well. Now I'm not saying that towing with the F150 isn't more comfortable than it was with the Highlander, but at the time the Highlander did a fine job. Now that I'm used to the F150, I'm not quite as comfortable in the Highlander, but that is due more to getting use to something bigger! Mr. Green Colby
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly disagree too. It'd be far better to tow right up to the maximum carefully, watching your speed, leaving a good distance, loading the boat evenly for a proper tongue weight, and anticipating and preparing for braking compared to towing a lot less the the max weight with an unevenly-loaded trailer, going too fast, weaving and tailgating other vehicles.

Where you tow is also a big deal. Going over mountains, towing in excessively hot areas, snow and ice all affect what is safe. I'd be much more inclined to tow more in flat terrain then over the Rockies or Cascades.

That said, I would much prefer to be towing half the max limit than the limit all other things being equal. If you can afford or plan, getting a vehicle that is more than capable of towing your max weight, boat, trailer, water, fuel and toys. I have never heard someone that bought a F-350 or equivalent, for instance, unhappy that they didn't buy a F-150, even when towing a C-dory 22. I have known people that wished they had a bigger tow vehicle, including myself.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I also use my tow vehicle for my around town vehicle, there are a lot of trade offs. Size and mileage come to mind immediately. Actually, my Highlander was a lot easier to get around town. However, the F150 isn't that bad and fuel is about the same. Maybe just a few miles per gallon less. However when I'm towing, the F150 with it's small V8 actually gets a bit better mileage than the Highlander with it's V6! I did test drive a F250 earlier, and it was just bigger than I wanted. That's the nice thing about the CD-22. At 5,000lbs, there are a number of vehicles out there that can tow it. But even my F150 is not set up to tow a CD-25 due to the drivetrain set up.
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Go deisel Reply with quote

Towed my 25 fully loaded all over with a Silverado 1500 (9400 lb tow capacity) and it never complain once. My only concern would be in the mountains and the brakes. Got rid of the 25 and the Silverado. Now looking at a 22 with a diesel Canyon (7700 lb tow capacity) as my tow vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: