The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Older 24' Tomcat vs. 22 or 24 Cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertbob

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Older 24' Tomcat vs. 22 or 24 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
My wife and I are looking for our fist boat. My buget is somewhere in the $30k to $40k range. We will be using this boat in Puget Sound and hopefully up to Alaska at some point. 30% fishing 70% cruising.
I see there are a couple of older Tomcat on here for sale for just over $40k and several 22's in the same price range.
What do you guys think would be a better boat. I'm not worried about towing or maintenance.

Thanks for you input.
Bob Williams

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Older 24' Tomcat vs. 22 or 24 Cruiser Reply with quote

Desertbob wrote:
Hi Guys,
My wife and I are looking for our fist boat. My buget is somewhere in the $30k to $40k range. We will be using this boat in Puget Sound and hopefully up to Alaska at some point. 30% fishing 70% cruising.
I see there are a couple of older Tomcat on here for sale for just over $40k and several 22's in the same price range.
What do you guys think would be a better boat. I'm not worried about towing or maintenance.

Thanks for you input.
Bob Williams

Bob, you probably won't find a 25 Cruiser in your $30-$40K budget. Between the TC 24 and the 22 Cruiser, I would only say this. The TC 24 has its admirers, but there is a reason that the factory discontinued the TC 24 in favor of the TC 255 - and you REALLY won't find a TC 255 within your budget. My only experience with the TC 24 was when we christened Dusty's then-new TC 24 at Olympia in 2003. It was a rainy day, and the condensation inside the TC 24 made it feel like it was raining INSIDE the boat! So others will have to tell you the virtues of the TC 24, which for sure includes that is a lot faster boat.

We have owned a 2003 22 Cruiser, and loved it. We did not know we needed a 25 Cruiser until we went to the 2005 SBS. If the 22 Cruiser does not feel too tight inside to you (it didn't to us) and you can live with a porta-potti (we could back then) , then a good used 22 will fit your budget to a tee. I will say that I doubt we could have completed the 5,428 miles of the Great Loop quite as comfortably on a 22 as we did on our 25.

Good luck on your search for the "right" boat!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The down side of the Tom Cat 24 is the sloping front windshield, and the small head down by the bunk--most are still portipotties. The Tom Cat has a much bigger forward bunk. The dinette is bigger, and the cockpit I believe is also slightly bigger. Galley is about the same size. There is more storage in the Tom Cat. The Tom Cat will run much better into chop.

Disadvantages: The head down, the windshield--some have put a Canvas eyebrow over it. Some had a partial opening windshield section. Hatches could be put on the top.

There were some issues with a few of the original 24's, but later ones seem to have not had them.

With the 24 you will have two 90 or two 115 hp engines, and larger fuel capacity and fuel consumption at same speeds. The Tom Cat will weigh more.

If I was buying a 24, I would look at the ability to use the head as an issue.

Occasionally one of the 6 Cruise Ship 25's (1995 to 1996) will come up for sale. Some have sold for less than 40K. I like the layout better than the later 25's. My son owns one of the Cruise Ship 25's.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences between the Cruise ships and the later 25's?
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion for any boat you are looking at, factor in a good heating system, camperback and insulation for the berth. We went to Alaska in 2008 in our TC255. No heating system except the wallas stove. No insulation in the berth. It rained outside and inside. We were always wet. We have since installed a hydronic heating system. We have lots of heat and hot water always. The berth is now insulated. Our inside passage trip in 2016 was a dream. A good heating system in a TC24 will really help the condensation problem. The camper back is essential for the PNW. Happy hunting.

Margaret...

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
What are the differences between the Cruise ships and the later 25's?

The hull mold is the same. The cockpit/deck, splash well, and basic cabin sides are about the same. The cabin top is crowed, but no bulge in the center. It appears to be fully cored, where as the "bulge" is not in the newer 25s. (at least not in the 2003). There are no windows in the back on the Cruise Ship. The door is offset more to the starboard. The head is on Port side, and is larger than on the newer 25's. There is a shallow hanging locker on the Starboard side. The galley is aft the helm seat, maybe a little shallower in depth than the newer boats. Helm and forward cabin seem the same. The dinette is wider, and can seat 4 comfortably. My son who is 6' 4" has slept on the dinette converted. There seems to be more storage under the floor of the dinette and under the seats than the newer boats. There is no forward facing front seat--only rear facing. The dinette is moved further forward, and this is what makes a larger dinette and larger head. The boats perform about the same. With a 150 they are properly powered--many had lower hp initially, and were run at displacement or semi displacement speeds.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are an endless source of knowledge, thank you.
Desertbob

City/Region: Lynnwood
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, all this info has been really helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: