The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2018 Inside Passage South
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a NOMAD carved sign in there. I knew exactly where it was. Still there 2 years later. 3 years later, gone. Weird eh!

Martin.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was pretty laid back. Secured the boat and trailer and drove down to Sidney. Spent some time today relaxing poolside at the hotel, and walking around town, and savoring the local food. Tomorrow I'll take Rosanne to the airport, then back north to pick up the boat and head up to Campbell River. Plans are now to spend a full week in Desolation Sound, (May 30-June 5) then trailer the boat up to Telegraph Cove or Port McNeal and spend another week in the Broughtons, (June 7 - 15) before loading out and heading home. Suggestion for the T-Shirt printers in the area. Sure would be nice to find t-shirts that show the Gulf Islands, rather than just Sidney, Victoria, or the individual islands! Rosanne found one close to what would be nice, but she wanted a woman's shirt rather than a mans. Rolling Eyes Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/29. Dropped Rosanne off at the Victoria airport then drove back to Ladysmith to pick up the boat then onto Campbell River. Launched the boat and decided to stay at the Fisherman’s Wharf marina as it’s pretty windy today. Too late to park the rig at CR’s Storage. And speaking with the owner or manager on the phone she said she’d be the only one there in the morning so would not be able to give me a ride back to the marina. The ramp lot charges $5/night for parking and for a week at CR the price is about the same. Throw on a taxi ride it’s more. Also having the rig right at the ramp will make it easier when I return as well. I didn’t see a hose hookup at the ramp so I used my own ag sprayer with Saltaway to rinse the trailer brakes. Which reminds me Ladysmith does have a very nice and reasonably priced big rig car wash with outboard flush attachments just a block away from the Fisherman’s Wharf marina there. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did some math. The gas prices today, 155.9/l in and around Victoria, 147.9/l in Ladysmith, 145.9 in Campbell River and 144.9 in Comox area. I bought fuel in Comox and doing the math paid $5.50/gal in Canadian. Also after buying the fuel I saw they had marine gas and asked what that was. Attendant said mid grade at 142.9. Maybe I should have filled the boat with that! Next time! I’m also assuming gas here is non-ethanol!
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, the marine gas I got a few years ago near Ladysmith was ethanol-free, but pretty sure the auto gas was E- 10.

To locate the ethanol free outlets, use this: https://www.pure-gas.org

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada some gas has ethanol blended in and some does not. Certain Gas Stations like Husky and Mohawk advertise that they use ethanol blend in their gas. Others may add ethanol on a seasonal basis, mostly in winter, as a gasoline antifreeze. Best to ask before you fill.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/30. Beautiful day today with pretty much flat water. But the Discovery Passage was flowing pretty good, opposite of the direction I was going. First stop today was at Cortes Bay. Scenic, but sadly the Government Dock there seemed to be filled with permanent tie ups! Both Yacht outlying docks were empty and looked to be much better. However according to all the books, private for members. Next stop was Mink Island Cove. Very small cove that I didn’t feel comfortable anchoring in. Planned on then heading to Pendrell Cove but got sidetracked looking at my charts and decided to head for Prideaux Haven. Good choice. Officially Desolation Sound and beautiful area. First anchored in the far west end about a hundred yards from the drying reef. But didn’t have complete swinging room with a 4/1 scope of anchor rode out. Then tried anchoring with a stern tie to the north wall where several tie chains existed. But didn’t like the current of incoming tide and westerlie wind against the side of the boat. Ended up putting out about 150 feet of rode a little farther away from the drying reef, which gave me a 3/1 scope at high tide. Not sure that would be enough but the anchor was certainly set! I really am more comfortable tied to docks... Inflated the Hobee Kayak and peddled around the area. 6 other boats in the cove over night. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/31 Went all of 3 nm today across to Roscoe Cove. There is an inner and outer cove separated by a reef that gets very shallow or drys at very low tides. Beautiful little cove with only one other boat when I came in. We are joined tonight by a sailboat. Spent the day relaxing, hiking and kayaking. And trying to figure out where to stage later to see Butte Inlet, as if I do the entire length it is 37 miles long.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6/1. Today left Roscoe Cove to find the worse sea conditions on my trip. Not terrible, but an uncomfortable 2 ft washing machine chop! First went to Squirrel Cove to check it out. Store just getting set up for the season. And no charts. (Wagoneers lists that they sell charts at the Squirrel Cove store.) I've got my chart plotter and a planning chart, but the planning chart just isn't given me much data for really figuring out where to go. And the chartplotter is to small also. Thinking about adding some fuel, but their gas pump is out for maintenance until next Tuesday. Back across the chop into Refuge Cove. Plenty of dock space, and fuel is 169/L. They are also getting their store set up for the season and everything else is pretty much shut down. But they did have quite a few charts to chose from. Most the day spent rocking on the dock with rolling water coming in from the outside channel. However, as of now, 4:29p, things seemed to have calmed down. Just had a 42ft Nordic Tug pull in in front of me, and he said it's calmed down out there now. I hope it stays that way, as tomorrow morning I'd like to head up to Teakerne Arm. Then after talking to the storekeep here, think I'll head up Tobin Inlet rather than Butte. Little closer and not as far up the arm. I'll probably hold off on fuel till I get back, and then only need to put enough on to get back to Campbell River.

In all honesty, while this area is quite beautiful, I have the same beauty, in fresh water, close to home at Isle Royal and the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. And to some extent in Door County on Lake Michigan. I would like to see more towns like this one (Refuge) and sure I will see more community while in the Broughtons next week. This is definitely worth the trip out west with my boat, but think I'd like to spend more time in the San Juans next time I'm in the area. Would also love to see more wildlife, and perhaps might find some bear when I go up Toba Inlet. The people I do touch base with have been quite friendly and helpful. But think that goes without saying in the boating community such as this. I'll see if I can start uploading a few more photos to the embedded photo album. Wish I could ramload as I have quite a few now. Wink Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Refuge and Squirrel Cove are just getting stores set up--then, you will probably find the same thing in the Broughtons. Check the web sites of some of the major places like Pierres in Echo Bay, and see what they have to offer this time of the year. I note that Pierres doesn't start the festivities until about June 30. (The resorts sort of compete to see who has the best meals etc. Sullivan Bay is year around, due to the large floating home population there. They should always have supplies.

Did you get the Don Douglas/ Renee Hemmingway Douglas guide to the North Coast of BC? Even though it is a bit dated now, it is probably the best guide to the area around B C. There is a separate guide to Alaska and the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you get the Don Douglas/ Renee Hemmingway Douglas guide to the North Coast of BC? Even though it is a bit dated now, it is probably the best guide to the area around B C. There is a separate guide to Alaska and the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

Great books. I use them along side the Waggoners for differing descriptions of everywhere I go. I have the 3rd edition of the Guides, North Coast and South Coast. I don't expect to use the North Coast this trip, as all the spots I was going in the Broughtons is in the South Coast book. I also have the SE Alaska Guide, and the San Juan and Gulf Islands Guide, which was a bit duplicating of the BC South Coast Guide when it came to the Gulf Islands. Waggoners is a good guide, but the Douglas guides seem to have a bit more specifics. For now, I'm planning on these areas of the Broughtons later next week:
Lagoon Cove, Echo Bay (and Pierre's), Sullivan Bay, Alert Bay (and the First Nation's Museum along with Lacy Falls), and Deserted Bay where I hear the beach combing is fun. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, they must shut the power off here at Refuge Cove at night. 7:30p and the power on the docks went out. However I seem to remember when I checked in, he did not charge me for electricity as I believe he said it would only be on during the day anyway... No matter, batteries all charged up. Just caught up on uploading photos. A few new pages added. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power turned back on around 8am. I wonder if they cut the power at night during the summer high season? Covered a lot of territory today, as the water was fairly calm, nothing worse that some 1 ft chop in some areas. Before lunch, headed up to Teakerne Arm and tied up at the dingy dock to hike up to the top of the falls there. Looks like an old cable winch of some sort up there, with some of the cable still laying around. I'm assuming this has something to do with logging, but wonder how the hell they got the machine in there. One other very large yacht anchored just off the falls. His smaller dingy was about the size of my 22. Shocked The larger one, a Protector, even had radar. Headed back to Refuge Cove to take on 20 gals of gas and make lunch. (Glad I got the gas. I used all that up in my next jaunt.) Then headed up to Toba Inlet. Stopped briefly at the Toba Wilderness Marina looking to tie up for about 15 minutes, but they would not allow that. You have to be an overnight guest. Mind you they had plenty of room and only a few boats. I had thought about possibly stopping for the night when I came back, but with the attitude no temporary tie up allowed with that much space, I just wasn't interested in giving them my overnight business. Went up just a mile or so past Brem Bay. Beautiful sights of the high mountains and many waterfalls cascading down from the top. The water is a little more milky green from the silt. There is a working logging operation at Brem Bay. Waggoners mentions two Pictographs just north and south of Brem Bay, but I'm not sure I saw them. There was some coloring on the rocks north of Brem Bay, but that looked more like stains in the rocks. After a few hours in Toba Inlet, I headed back towards Pendrell Sound. Ran up to the end of that, and found a large marine farm at the end. Finally, headed back to Prideaux Haven, where I am for the night. Think I've seen what I need to see, and plan to head back to Campbell River tomorrow, pull out, and trailer up to Telegraph Cove. Desolation Sound is very scenic. No doubt about it. And I'm sure one could spend a lot more time here, just exploring and relaxing. But I'm not one to sit still long, and when it comes to scenery, we have a lot of that back at home on fresh water.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stop at Heriot Bay on your way back to Campbell River is rewarding. Two marinas, great protected anchorage, pub, great walks.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's Tuesday, must be Belgium." Colby, it is not just the sights, but the wild life, and especially the people.

How they got the winch up to the top of the hill--they basically used donkey engines--and pulled the winch up on its own skids. The loggers would set a deadman at the location or used trees/tree stumps. Modern loggers cut roads, and are far more destructive. Of course there are the helicopter logging operations--more dangerous for the pilots, but not as much forrest impact. We saw logging in AK where the logs were basically taken to the water and then loaded on a Japanese freighter right there. We were told that these old growth trees were especially valuable, and used in some of the shrines and temples. The logs were taken back to Japan, and sunk in fresh water lakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: