The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2018 Inside Passage South
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following your write ups here before leaving to SE Alaska & now catching up again on your travels, which I really enjoy reading. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Jay

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/25. Smooth sailing to Ladysmith. Pulled into Fisherman’s Wharf but no room as the fishing fleet is still in. I did grab my two 5 gallon gas cans out of the truck to put some more gas in the boat. So haven’t had to pay for anymore marina gas since Friday Harbor. Found space at the Community Marina, which is also pretty full as they have a Festival Boat celebration this weekend. A lot of really neat old boats. Drove thru town today stopping at the library to download a Windows 10 file to try and fix my laptop. At the time that didn’t work either. Stopped at a computer shop and the tech was unable to do much either as he was swamped with other repairs. Found a small little cafe for lunch and walked thru a few stores. Then back to the boat. Messed around with the laptop more and was able to reload Windows and get it to work again. Of course I lost all my software and will have to slowly reload stuff available online as I get unrestricted internet service and the rest will have to wait until I get home.

During all our cruising so far we’ve noticed a lot of logs in the water requiring a keen eye especially when running on plane. The next most abundant thing would be the crab pot floats.

A special appreciation for marina manager Cheryl at Ladysmith Fisherman’s Wharf. She has been very accommodating and helpful. There is also a nice big car wash a few blocks from the ramp that will come in handy when we pull the boat out. The wash also has a regular garden hose for flushing outboards! Parking at the marina and ramp lot is free and has worked well so far! The Community Marina is also very nice but there is no ramp here. It’s just around the corner from the Wharf ramp however.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby, Glad you have the LT back in some fashion. Really enjoy your reports. Ladysmigh is a great place. We had a CBGT there a couple of summers ago. Did you take Midnight Flyer through the pass at Telegraph Cove?

Safe travels, and if you likegood fush and chips, be sure to stop in at Fish on Fifth in Sidney, (just north on Fifth, off Beacon Ave).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to the “cut” at Telegraph Harbour, no, but we did kayak thru there. Looks like it would be no problem at high tide but when I saw it at low tide I’m not sure we would have made it.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Nomad's photo albums, C-Brats Gulf Islands 2013.
Several of us came through the 'Cut' at half tide. Sometimes only inches below the keel. Several times my chart plotter said I was travelling over someones lawn! That's how tight it was. I had on my 'Extra Strength Depends' for that trip.

Martin.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at low tide, right next to the entrance by the Telegraph Harbour Marina, it looked to only be about a foot deep. We went thru with the Kayaks closer to high tide, and only went as far as where the cut opens up into more of a bay. There looked to be a drying "swamp" on the one side, that only had about 3-6" of water over the bar to it. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/26. Piece of cake coming thru Dodd Narrows today. Got up early so that we could be at the Narrows by about 8:15a. My Ports and Passes book showed slack for 8:48a. There was already a log boom tow waiting to enter there so I called him to let him know I’d just follow him thru. I think he must have been waiting for more flow against him to maintain his logs. I decided to pass him around 8:45 and the current had already reversed and was probably around 3 or 4 kts when I entered the Narrows. A sail boat had passed us aobout 5 mins earlier and I figured there was no need for me to follow the tow. Plenty of room for meeting other pleasure craft in the Narrows! Got a slip in Nanaimo on the H dock just under the Wharfinger office. Enjoyed walking around thru a few stores, the Harbour walkway and park. Had to have a Nanaimo Bar, and some ice cream. Lunch at Pennies had enuf leftovers for supper. Lots of high schoolers around today in the park for graduation fun. Looked to be a few weddings going on also. And plenty of street musicians along with some homeless. Also reloaded some software on my computer. For anyone not familiar with this area seems like all the marina showers cost. Usually a loonie for 2 or 3 minutes. Even Friday Harbor required a few quarters.
bridma

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodd Narrows (for all you who have not been through before) is a piece of cake. I have been through many times within in 90 mins of slack. That is a 3 hour window. I know other boaters who power through regardless of timing. That being said, do consult your tide & current tables and act within your safety and comfort zone. I'm just letting you know that it is not the end of the world if you arrive a few minutes early or late.
I always skip tying up downtown Nanaimo and go over to Newcastle Island a few minutes away and dock. Much cheaper, great showers, great walks, no power though. The dinghy dock pub is only a stone's throw away.

Enjoy your travels.

Martin.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin. We did come through Dodd Narrows again today, this time about 45 minutes before slack. We came through with about a 3 to 4 kt push. Still no problem. Got back to Ladysmith and loaded the boat back out. We're staying on it tonight, then a hotel in Sidney tomorrow night. Smile We enjoyed being on the H dock in Nanaimo, and the showers were nice. Topped the boats water tank off there yesterday, and only needed maybe about 7 gallons and then another 4 in the small 6 gal container we use for drinking. I should be able to get thru the next several weeks with out needing anymore water. As I compute the gas prices here in Canada, the idea of trailering between Desolation Sound and the Broughtons is looking more cost effective. But we'll see. I'll try to get some photos uploaded to the album tomorrow at the hotel, if the internet is good. I'm still trying to get this laptop back up to speed as well. We did take the pickup down to Victoria today to walk around town a bit. Stopped at Chemainus along the way. Beautiful little town full of murals. And I loved the cedar smell from the lumbermill! Learned from one of the store keepers that they are the supplier of clear Artubus wood to Asia. Anyway, lots of logs getting towed around in the area between there and Nanaimo! Another thing about this area in general (all of the places we've been in the last week or so,) there is no shortage of ice cream shops! lol. Mr. Green Colby
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying your log. Takes us back to the years we cruised the area in our sailboat. Someday we'll tell you the tale of Pat's Nanaimo adventure.

Hank and Pat
Meri Aura
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Enjoy reading your posts. We met you at Lake Powell a few springs ago. We are headed to Barkley Sound on June 9. We plan to jump the ferry at Anacortes and launch from Port Alberni. Later in June we may trailer up to Campbell River and finish our trip in Desolation Sound. If you are still around maybe we can connect. Ken and Harriet
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you hit all the right places in the Gulf Islands! If you had looked in the pavilion at Conover Cove for the driftwood plaques, you would have found two Daydream plaques!

I second Martin's comments - Newcastle Island is where we stay when we visit Nanaimo, not the marina. Then we (used to) dinghy over to the dinghy dock in Nanaimo to visit town. I say "used to" since we sold our dinghy and little outboard and now have a two person Sea Eagle kayak, too far to paddle! One morning about 5:30 a.m. on a summer cruise in 2012, I got one of my favorite photos from Newcastle Island, a B.C. Ferry out on the Strait!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

bridma

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, you should enter that pic in any photo competitions. You might win something. I wonder if you could do a deal with BC Ferries in exchange for some free travel or gift vouchers?

Martin.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken. Yes I remember you guys. I’d like to get to a Lake Powel gathering sometime! I think my plans now are to launch at Campbell River late tomorrow afternoon and spend a week in Desolation Sound. Then trailer north to Telegraph Cove or Port McNeil and spend a week in the Broughtons. If this schedule holds then I’d be getting the ferry back to Tsaswassen on Monday June 18th for a 5 day drive home. That’s just a week less than I originally planned but I’m also skipping the Straight between Nanaimo and Desolation and Jonestone Straight.

Last edited by colbysmith on Mon May 28, 2018 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, actually I did look for some more C-Brat plaques in that Conover Cove pavilion, but so many like looking for single needle in a big pin cushion! Lol. The 2006 group one was the only one I saw. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: