The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2018 Inside Passage South
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a short night at a rest stop half way between SEA and Tsawwassen, but today went well. No problems at the Border, as we left I5 at exit 275, the commercial route, onto Canadian Hwy 15. Short several minutes answering the Canadian Customs gal questions about where we live, where we were going, how long we’d be in Canada, and did we have any firearms. And had we ever been to Canada before. I asked her to stamp our passports due to our combined water and land crossings in the next month, but she stated they do not stamp passports there. So hopefully that will not be a problem. Arrived a little over an hour early for the Ferry ride over to Duke Point, Nanaimo, and they started boarding us about 20 minutes before departure. Left on time, arrived on time, smooth sailing! Left the ferry and headed for Ladysmith and the Fisherman’s Wharf Marina and boat ramp. Ramp and parking are free. Tide was low, but still no problems launching. I spoke with “Cheryl”, who manages the Wharf, and she was quite friendly in learning about our cruise plans, and providing us with some information about the marina facilities. We departed Ladysmith and 34 miles later, hooked on to a mooring ball in Poets Cove in Bedwell Harbor. The Canadian Park Service provides these, and the cost is $14 Canadian a night. Time to start uploading a few photos, if my hotspot connection can handle it! Colby

This be the album link: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2821&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the start of another great adventure. You and Rosanne have fun. Hope to see you in July at the Apostle Island's.
Bill

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos of your ferry ride Colby.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be fun to follow.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited Bill. And looking forward to another fun summer with the boat! I hope so Ken. And thanks Gene.

The mooring ball last night wasn’t so fun. Not sure if I just don’t know what I’m doing, or if it’s just the nature of the beast. (This was my first time on one.) First problem was my line tangling around the bottom of the ball/can. I thought the boat is supposed to blow back from the can. (And with waves most the night, I would expect even those to put space between the ball and boat!) (I go back and forth between can and ball. They looked like balls from a distance, but seem more like cans up close.) So I shortened the 8 foot of line down to about 4 feet. Still manage to tangle once. Then I was awoken to the ball/can hitting the hull. I look out the window to see my small wind sock showing a light wind, but the boat was still just sitting next to the ball. Perhaps tidal current? And a good part of the night seemed like constant rocking for fairly small waves. Perhaps being close to shore? In any case, it was a long night without a lot of sleep. Next time I’ll use the floating docks there! On our way to Roche Harbor to clear customs, we got boarded by the USCG about a mile outside of the bay there. Being boarded last year in Door County, and being an ex-Coastie, the boarding was pretty straight forward and a piece of cake! The boarding team was off a Cutter from Bellingham and they were working with a helo over head. (Guy jokingly asked me if I liked all the attention…) We chatted about the weekend gathering and the trailerability of our boats. I thanked them for their service, and we pressed on to Roche Harbor. Customs there was pretty straight forward and the office had an international ferry clearance to get to in Friday Harbor. His computer wasn’t up, so most the time was spent waiting for him to share the information phoned in with another officer with a working computer. Got to Friday Harbor, and joined several other boats already docked. A few more came in as the afternoon wore on. A few more photos to upload. Colby P.s. Late edit. Almost put my own boat in peril trying to help out another boater. Before leaving Pender Island, I decided to go through the Pender Canal into Port Browning, just to check it out. Current was really flowing and low tide. No problem, however, after turning around to come back there was a small 16' open bow boat with an older gentlemen and two older women that was experiencing motor problems. This was pretty much under the bridge at the north side of the canal. I offered them assistance and would need to turn back around as the channel widened some. Mind you, current still going pretty good, but maybe not quite as fast as it had been. I got turned around, got a line to them and while trying to get the line tied on both boats, pretty much floating side by sideI lost situational awareness of the small reef next to the Red buoy at the south end of the narrow channel. Thankfully, the distressed boater noticed and pointed it out, and I slammed into reverse with the bow just about over the exposed reef. I managed to just miss it, and some how, the other guy had a good enuf wrap on the line that his boat also missed it. I then towed him halfway back down the bay to Poets Cove, when he finally got his motor started and declined any more assistance. I pulled my line in, as he turned back around to continue back thru the canal! Shocked I had no intention to keep track of him after that.... It did seem like a poured some oil in the top of the engine before it started running again, and in talking with Big C here in FH, he suggested it may have been an Etec outboard that had ran dry of oil. Lesson learned for me, next time I'll wait to offer a towline once clear of all dangers to my own boat! Hope today was the end of so much excitement! lol!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....Colby, you passed the test --- border crossing, no passport stamp znd then get to host the CG crew without getting a free ride on a big white boat wigh a rdd stripe. Good for you. I have alway bedn able to get the stamp, and I keep a copy of the crossing number I get on the wated in my PassPort for the land crossing staff to see. One of the times the Cdn Customs guy told me it was easier to stamp it than to come up with one of those little crossing number forms. Best in your future adventure. Will have to miss you at FH, but hopefully somewhere down the wake we can meet up.

BTW, mooring balls are not my favorite either, mostly for the same reasons. I much prefer the anchor.

I'm in Albuquerque NM tonight. Met the Run For The Wall ride here in town today. All I can say it is an Awesome sight, and a worthwhile venture for the Vets.

Stay safe and enjoy your cruising time there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey. I didn't press the gal at the land crossing very hard for the stamp. I asked, and she said they don't stamp there, so I just said ok, thanks. The guy at Roche Harbor didn't really care, and did give me the small piece of paper with the number. If I have any issues crossing back into Canada, I still have my ferry ticket/receipt. Safe travels on your ride! Who knows, we might cross returning home on the highway. Smile Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good nights rest last night on the dock in Friday Harbor. I think there are at least 20 boats here now for the gathering. Met a lot of new faces and enjoyed supper with several at the Cask and Schooner Restaurant. Took newcomers Paul and Vicky out for a boat ride around Shaw Island, with a stop at the Blind Bay store for ice cream. Also a quick run into Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island. I'll post a few more photos. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think somebody said there were 32 boats here this weekend for the Friday Harbor gathering. The gathering started the day out with various donuts, pastries, muffins, teas, coffee, juices and hot chocolate for breakfast. And finished with a potluck supper with awards given for the oldest C-Brat membership in attendance, longest owned boat, cleanest boat, crew from farthest away, newest c-dory owner, and several other categories! (Rosanne and I with Midnight flyer got the awards for the Brat that traveled the longest distance to get here, and for having the most stuffed boat! Great, more stuff for an already stuffed boat! LOL) And also after the potluck, the naming ceremony for two boats, Penny Bridge and Island Time. I was a bit sad that the traveling coloring book I have wasn’t able to make its rounds to all the boats. Hard to catch everyone with this many folks in a relatively short weekend gathering. Still, it was a great time, and good to meet and make new friends. Midday, got the boat courtesy inspected by a USCG Auxiliarist, and passed with flying colors. Then Rosanne and I enjoyed some Kayaking around the bay. Popeye, the Friday Harbor Seal, has been entertaining us part of the day. He begs for food by splashing with his flipper! I should add somewhere in this diatribe, that from earlier discussion, Dr. Bob had a Weight Distribution Hitch that was offered to Harald for towing Penny Bridge. I got the hitch from Bob at the Hontoon gathering this past March, and brought it out with me for Harald. Due to my changing launch plans ending up over at Vancouver Island, I left the hitch with my brother that works close to Harald's home, so for my part the delivery is accomplished! I love our trailerable boats and the various bodies of water I have been able to visit. The C-Brats are a great group, sharing not only ideas and information, but parts as well. And of course the socialization goes without saying! Some of us are fortunate to be able to travel across the various "regions" and put faces with names that we see on our forum. Even if we can't remember them shortly thereafter. Mr. Green Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Departed Friday Harbor for Bedwell Harbor to clear customs again. Stopped in Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island for lunch, then continued on to Bedwell. Good weather, calm seas. The Bedwell Harbor customs office was not manned, but they have two phones available that call in for clearing customs. About a 10 minute wait then a customs officer came on and took down the required information. (Boat registration information, then crew passport information. Lastly asking if any firearms, tobacco or alcohol on board, or fruits or vegetables.) Then gave a clearance number to keep with me on the boat. Continued through Pender Canal to Port Browning Marina for a courtesy slip while we hiked the short distance to the local grocery store for some supplies. Just across from the store was a service station/marine store, where I picked up a Canadian Flag to fly while in Canada. Some Ice Cream back at the marina, then crossed Plumper Sound into Boot Cove on Saturna Island to anchor for the night. Dropped the crab ring and caught my first Red Rock Crab! I'll see if I have enough bandwidth tonight to upload a few photos. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made our way to Montague Harbour (on Galiano Island) today, by way of Ganges on Salt Spring Island. Walked around a few of the stores at Ganges, then decided to move on. No problem getting dock space at Montague, with many of the mooring balls filling this evening. Several other boats on the dock as well, but still room for several more. Beautiful day today. Ganges was a very busy harbor with boats and float planes coming and going. We tied up on the free (for 2 hours or less) Kanaka Wharf. Last night in Boot Cove was very quiet/peaceful. No other boats came in to anchor, but there were quite a few boats on private moorings around the shore. Noticed one other C-Dory, C-Grass, on a private dock. Plan to go into Connover Cove tomorrow.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, walked around the campground and went looking for a Geocache. No smiley today. Was supposed to be a Geo Bird House easy to find. The last log on it was last November, so I think it may be gone. Nice campground but definitely more boats than campers. Before leaving Montague Harbour, we stopped at the marina there to pick up some block ice. Noticed another C-Dory, a 16’, “Cutie”. Also got some ice cream, Orange with Black Licorice. Actually tasted pretty good! Lol. Then cruised into Conover Cove on Wallace Island. This is just as nice as everyone has said. In fact, probably the best place so far. May have to spend two nights here. Enjoyed paddling/peddling our kayaks up to Princess Bay, against the current, making an easier and quicker ride back! Initially we were just going out to the reef outside the Conover Cove entrance to photograph some seals. Going along the shoreline we saw plenty of starfish and a few crabs. Back at the boat, I saw that there was a geocache in the area, and went back out on the kayak over to the north point of land at the entrance to the cove, to find the Cache up on top the hill. Plan to do some hiking around the island tomorrow. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed another day in Conover. However my updates here will probably slow down. Using to much cell data and the most recent Windows 10 update just crashed my laptop! Sad if you have 10, don’t let the latest update happen. Lots of others complaining on the computer forums!
I do want to upload one interesting photo from today! Having issues trying to paste it here, but here’s the link.

Lhttp://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2821&id=6FDC9AB4_D365_4614_9DF8_0620BF512468&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby, I was going to tell you to look for the driftwood plaques, to see if you could find some of the CBRATS. There are several there. Also used to be plenty of raccoons and otters, so keep your food and boat secure. Enjoy the islands, and the ice cream.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/23 a beautiful day. Stayed in Conover. Did some hiking finding geocaches and some Kayaking in the cove. Laptop crashed today with Windows 10 latest update and I wasted way too much time getting nowhere with a fix! Made a namesake on driftwood to hang in the “boatname” shed. Left the dock today to just anchor in the south end of the cove.

5/24. And another beautiful day! A few more miles and into Telegraph Harbour marina. Good ice cream to spoil our lunch then home made pizza for supper. A turn around the area in our Kayaks and just soaking up the sun on the docks. Pretty quiet in here still. Early in the season. That was not so much the case the last two days in Conover Cove, where it was still very peaceful however Dick space filled by late afternoon with several boats also anchoring with stern ties to the shore rings. So far this trip we’ve enjoyed seeing porpoises, otters, mink, Bald eagles, a Blue Heron and raccoons. And of course crabs, fish and sea plant life! Plans for the next few days is Ladysmith tomorrow, then Nanaimo by way of Dodd Narrows on Saturday, back to Ladysmith on Sunday, pull the boat on Monday, then hotel in Sydney before Rosanne flys out on Tuesday. After that I’ll head up to Campbell River to launch again.

Probably won't be loading anymore photos until I get my laptop working again.

Colby[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: