The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2018 Inside Passage South
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WA ferry from annacortes to Sidney might be a good option. Not that you need more suggestions!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boils down to a style of cruising vs touring....Go and enjoy the people, place for a day or so at the minimum. Or a different place every night. If the weather co-operates, then you can do what you had outlined.

For the most part, we put in at Sequim (both in the Cal 47 and the C Dory 22/25)--although we have launched smaller boats at Campbell River, and Telegraph Cove.

I have never figured the cost of going in the C Dory on the water, vs going along the same coast in a truck/towing--and adding in aggravation of launch and retrieve. You may be correct that it is less expensive than launching at Anacortes, and doing the entire trip on the water--renting a car for a day to get your wife to the Airport. But I probably would do that considering the trip you are taking--and you would rarely hit the same place coming back as you did going up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into that other ferry. And I'm more of a different place every night, unless I have to hide out a few days for weather, or really enjoying where I'm at, kind of guy. Mr. Green I'll enjoy the trip, and just stay flexible with the time/schedule. My only restriction on the amount of time I have up there, is I have a wife that will be at home, and I'd kind of like to get back to her. Very Happy My plans are to be back on my way home by no later than the last week of June. If the weather is fantastic, I'll see more. If it's not, then I'll see some places longer than I hoped for. And if I'm delayed getting back to the truck and trailer...just means I'm away from home longer. Retirement is great, but I still have a working wife that I like to see now and then! Mr. Green Mr. Green Love Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Johnston Strait can be "bumpy" would be putting it mildly.

I vividly remember the surfing lesson I took in Johnston Strait. It was in a 30' Fairliner. We had to take the seas on the beam for a moment to escape into Kelsey Bay. That was exciting. Everybody was hitchhiking into Sayward. The marina and tavern were full to the gills.

hardee wrote:
For the Broughtons I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Telegraph Cove.

Seconded. We rented a room with a kitchen (on short notice) the night of our return from the Broughtons. It was pricey, but I still get bonus points from my wife for that idea. When solo, I stayed at an affordable semi-cheesey motel in Port Hardy that has a restaurant attached (which closes kind of early).

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another late thought (question). For those that have traversed the Inside Passage. Cash? Canadian or US while in British Columbia? I assume that the commercial properties, such as stores and marinas, will take Credit Cards. However, are there ever any smaller park's docks that have self paid envelopes where you pay for an overnight and if so, what do most folks do? I'm thinking about picking up some Canadian cash before heading out on the boat, and just wondering what others have done. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2859 Canadian for $1 US at this time. or 0.776924 US for one Canadian. That is today--it changes daily. I used a credit card when I could, to get the best exchange rate since my credit card company has low or no exchange rates. You can get Canadian at any of the banks at the official rate. we did carry a certain amount of Canadian cash. They will love to take the US dollars!

Try and find out what fee the credit card company or bank charges (2.5% is not unusual!) "Money exchangers" are often more.

There used to be a program where when you get rebates on Value Added Tax, or certain sales taxes, on purchases over $200 and kept receipts. I believe that the rules for this have changed--and you may want to check about current law.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe either of my credit cards charge a fee for the conversion, or if they do, it's very minimal. What I'm thinking of are locations that are cash only. Usually the Honor systems with envelopes. In the US I tend to write checks at those.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my business we were always happy to take US $'s at par. Most of our US customers were happy to comply rather than going thru the hassle of changing there Greenbacks for our rainbow currency. I always carry some cash while travelling, many small businesses do not accept plastic.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my business we were always happy to take US $'s at par.

If the exchange rate was the other way around, I'd be happy to just use my greenback to pay at par! Mr. Green
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, all but the most remote places will have debit/credit card capability. As thataway details, plastic will invariably give you the best exchange rate, even with the nominal fees attached. Better than any cash register transaction, anyhow, except for Black Ball ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria.

Cash? Definitely. We take a roll of Canadian currency, usually about $300 US converted to Canadian, acquired at the first bank we hit. Any excess goes into an envelope and into the wall safe at home for the next trip. Handy to have half a day's walking money in hand so you do not have to hit the bank first thing.

One more thing. Larger US banks sometimes have a reciprocal agreement with a Canadian bank at their ATMs for cash withdrawals: no fee at the ATM! Your bank will know which Canadian bank this is. A few years back, Bank of America had a no fee arrangement with Bank of Montreal or maybe ScotiaBank. Saves a couple bucks each visit.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. That's the kind of info I was looking for. My plan is to use my plastic mostly. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited. Drove my last bus for the school year today, and will head out tomorrow with the boat in tow. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Friday Harbor gathering, and then on towards the north a bit more. If anyone wants to follow the path of Midnight Flyer once I'm launched, here are some links.

https://www.fleetmon.com/vessels/midnight-flyer_0_10933900/

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/MIDNIGHT-FLYER-IMO-0-MMSI-338131849

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:4131207/mmsi:338131849/vessel:338131849

Because I already entered my MMSI number into these sites, they should link directly to a page regarding my boat. However, if you find a better link, just enter my MMSI number: 338131849
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New issue. I have several friends and family that are not on FaceBook where I routinely post many of my photos from boating. So I thought seriously about blogging to keep a running commentary about my cruise and to upload photos. However, I've never blogged, and don't like the idea of everything going to a public news outlet. In the end, I think I'll just use this thread, if no one here minds. I can share my trip with others here, and all my photos can be posted to a nested album at Midnight Flyer. (And anyone I give the link to can open up the thread to see.) Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Washington now, and here is my running blog from my 4 days of travel across the country.

5/10/2018 Got a good start this morning at 7:30am. And drove farther than my 500 miles planned, stopping at a Cenex truck stop and Dairy Queen around 6pm for the night in Chamberlain, SD. A total of 576 miles for the day. Saw two Bald Eagles along the highway today. One in a tree before leaving Wisconsin, and one in a farmer’s field in western Minnesota somewhere. Just in case anyone is interested in the specs. I’m using my 2016 Ford F150 with the 302 V8 to pull my 22’ C-Dory. Average MPG today was around 12. Fuel was 2.69/gal around LaCrosse, WI, both sides of the state line. Then in Worthington, MN, I paid 2.67/gal. Here in Chamberlain, I was on the take for 2.94/gal. I didn’t fill the tank completely, hoping this was just a high spot along my route. A few sprinkles today, with rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Hope to get an early start in the morning, and maybe a late breakfast at Wall Drug! If you haven’t figured it out, my planned route is pretty much all along Interstate 90. However there is a neat free little campground near Ashland, MT, so I’ll be taking Hwy 212 north of Rapid City and east of Billings.
5/11/ Got another early start as I was on the road by 7am. Cold, rainy, foggy day. Was at Wall Drug by 9am and had a good breakfast there. Gas prices were between $2.49 and $2.74 in most places. A few localized stations were in the $2.90’s. This trip will definitely be more expensive than the previous year for gas. I arrived at the nice little campground near Ashland, MT, (Red Shale Forest Campground) around 3p, and at that time I was the only one there so got my pick of campsites. However, it was still raining, and I wasn’t going to be able to enjoy any campfire. Another C-Brat friend of mine that I met last year during the Snake and Columbia River run, lives in Billings, and I had planned on stopping to visit with him over breakfast tomorrow. Just seemed to make sense to press on beyond the campground, driving a total of 534 miles for the day, and instead join Lew (off of Cat Claw) for Dinner at the Billings Cracker Barrel, where I am for the night. Oh, the only “event” of the day, was the first boat inspection for this trip. All watercraft are required to stop at invasive species inspection stations. These are usually set up in rest areas or other areas off the highway. Today’s inspection was at the last west bound rest stop on I90, just before I94 merges into it, just east of Billings. Quick inspection by two polite retired gents. Routine questions of when and where was she last in the water, and where am I going to launch next. They made sure my bilge plug was pulled and asked if I had any live wells. (I don’t.) All of about 5-10 minutes. Three other boats lined up as I left.
5/12/ I was a little bit lazier this morning and didn’t get off till 9am, Wisconsin time, so guess it sounds better to say 8am local! Lol! Another rainy/foggy/cool morning, with temps in the low 40’s. Hit the Continental Divide just after noon, and slowly left the rain, fog and cold behind me! By Butte, MT, sun was shining and it was starting to warm up. Had another boat inspection today. Montana is serious about it. Will, at least they are paying guys to perform the checks. This time, 4 younger gentlemen, and even though my boat was “sealed” by the last crew (sealed with a small tie going through the bow eye and winch strap hook eye) and I provided them with the report copy, they did another inspection. This station was set up on a small side road near MP 211 on I90 west bound just west of Butte, MT. They pretty much just went through the routine, but didn’t ask me much. Decided to stop for the night at the Walmart in Smelterville, ID, a short distance east of Coeur D Alene. Big temperature difference. 80 degrees here and sunny. Will be a lot warmer sleeping tonight! (It wasn't, as it got down to 42. My little Wabasto Heater works great!) Gas today along the route was in the $2.74 range. With less wind, my mileage has gone up to just shy of 13. Some other specifics, I have electric brakes on the boat trailer, and they work well pulling through the mountains. The F150 also does a great job of downshifting and holding speeds pretty well. I tow no faster than 65mph. A few of the steeper grade climbs, I’ll slow to 60 as the transmission will downshift into 2nd gear, and really wraps out to maintain 65. Total distance driven today, 467 miles. Also noticed today, all the rivers and streams alongside the highway are flowing high and fast, and many low lying areas next to them are flooded.
5/13 Must have been two dozen semi’s in the lot last night by the time the sun went down. A number of RV’s as well. So a popular spot to stop. Today was warm and sunny. Two more boat inspections. The first one for Idaho, around MP 30 by two gals. Again, polite and quick. And finally one last inspection just crossed the border into Washington at Exit 299. All the inspections have only required 5-10 minutes and pretty straight forward. Stopped at a car wash in Spokane Valley to clean the road grime off the truck and boat. Got to my brother’s home in Graham around 4p. I’ll stay here the next two nights, then pick up Rosanne at the airport Tuesday before we continue over to Vancouver Island. Paid the most yet for gas, in Moses Lake, WA at $3.35/gal. I should have waited until the west side of town, as the truck stop there had 3.19 on it’s sign… Here in Graham it was $3.19. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the wife's travels to get out here, are not going quite as smooth. Today's flights were pretty much open a few days ago, but then last night everything showed full. She did manage to get her flight from Madison to Dallas, however was stuck at DFW most of the day. Oh the fun of non-revving on employee/retiree benefits! (NOT). She finally got a flight to LA, and will connect there for a late flight to Seattle. I changed our Ferry reservations for tomorrow, so looks like we'll get on the water tomorrow afternoon sometime. Still looking at Friday Harbor by Thursday afternoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: