The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2018 Inside Passage South
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking hard now at various spots in the Gulf Islands to spend time at. Time frame is this. Friday Harbor gathering on the 18-20th. Need to be in Nanaimo by the 28th. That gives me 7 or 8 days between Friday Harbor and Nanaimo. Any specific recommendations for islands/ports that are must see? After the 29th, I'll probably head over towards the mainland and hit Chatterbox Falls, then work my way north to Desolation Sound. Then cross over to the Broughtons and work my way down the inside of Vancover Island. Back to La Conner no later than June 24th. Colby
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Desolation Sound is doable in 8 days but to get to the Broughtons may be a bridge to far. As far as the Gulf Islands our favorite places include, Wallace Island(Conover Cove), Genoa Bay, Montague and Newcastle Island by Nanimo.
If things work out we are going to Princess Louisa after FH. You will get more options and places at the gathering. There will be some Canadians at the gathering with their perspective.

Fred
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your itinerary might be most easily accomplished by using a Vancouver Island launching point. I didn't read the whole thread and see if this was discussed, and I know that you would like yet another variable to add to your already complicated planning. If you launched on Vancouver Island, came to FH, returned to put yout boat back on the trailer and drove north, you could do the Broughtons, then trailer back to Nanaimo.

It sounds like a lot of trailering, and there is the expense of the ferries with a +40 foot setup, but it usually pencils out to being less gas and less time.

I think that most would agree that the trip from FH to PR or the Broughtons can be a bit of a slog. Even if the Straight is flat calm, and Seymour Narrows is flat and running your direction both times. You could use the mileage calculator that was just posted to estimate your fuel cost and time for a run on the water. Compare that to Google drive from Nanaimo to Port Hardy. My guess is trailering would be faster by a couple of days and cheaper by 100 gallons. That takes the bite out of the ferry fare.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, Desolation Sound is doable in 8 days but to get to the Broughtons may be a bridge to far. As far as the Gulf Islands our favorite places include, Wallace Island(Conover Cove), Genoa Bay, Montague and Newcastle Island by Nanimo.
If things work out we are going to Princess Louisa after FH. You will get more options and places at the gathering. There will be some Canadians at the gathering with their perspective.

Fred, thanks for the info. My only time constraints are, Nanaimo by the 28th, and back to the launch to head home by the last week of June. Plans were to leave Nanaimo and head over to the other side to head up to Chatterbox Falls, then work my way north to Desolation Sound, then up to the Broughtons before heading back. Colby
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you plan to buy bear spray for such a trip?

Aye.
Voltaire said, "Life is a shipwreck. Save what you can."

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your itinerary might be most easily accomplished by using a Vancouver Island launching point. I didn't read the whole thread and see if this was discussed, and I know that you would like yet another variable to add to your already complicated planning. If you launched on Vancouver Island, came to FH, returned to put yout boat back on the trailer and drove north, you could do the Broughtons, then trailer back to Nanaimo.

It sounds like a lot of trailering, and there is the expense of the ferries with a +40 foot setup, but it usually pencils out to being less gas and less time.

I think that most would agree that the trip from FH to PR or the Broughtons can be a bit of a slog. Even if the Straight is flat calm, and Seymour Narrows is flat and running your direction both times. You could use the mileage calculator that was just posted to estimate your fuel cost and time for a run on the water. Compare that to Google drive from Nanaimo to Port Hardy. My guess is trailering would be faster by a couple of days and cheaper by 100 gallons. That takes the bite out of the ferry fare.

Mark,
It was briefly mentioned once. I just looked at the charts, and could see where it might work. What it boils down to, is I have 1 week with my wife after the Friday Harbor gathering, and thought this would be a good time to spend in the Gulf Islands. She flys out of Victoria on the 29th, but I have a car rented in Nanaimo then, so planned to end the week there. After that, I have just shy of 4 weeks solo to explore. During that time I wanted to see ChatterBox Falls, Desolation Sound, and the Broughtons. (And any points in between that are worthwhile.) Given that information, do you have any suggestions in regards of how would be best to plan a trip? With good weather, I can see where maybe it would work to launch initially out of Nanaimo. Cruise straight to Friday Harbor with one night stopover somewhere, enjoy the gathering, then spend the week coming back enjoying the Gulf Islands. Send my wife off, then continue cruising from Nanaimo over to Desolation Sound and up to the Broughtons and back down? Or if launch and parking facilities better in Victoria, could just launch initially out of there, then load and relaunch farther up the island after the wife flys out. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where do you plan to buy bear spray for such a trip?

Already have it Foggy. Amazon.com. Mr. Green
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another thread regarding BC ramp space, Bob wrote:
Quote:
With somewhat limited time, I would choose one or the other. Early in the season, you may not have as much traffic in Desolation Sound. I love both areas. Hard to say one is "better"--both deserve to be at least sampled--and revisited. I have only been to each about 10 times....and never long enough!

I think with almost 4 weeks, I probably have enough time to do the area I want to do from Campbell River, but listening to the experience of others. Basically, I'm possibly now looking at doing the San Juans and Gulf Islands from Ladysmith, then trailering up to Campbell River, as I want to see Chatterbox Falls, Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. I get antsy in any one spot for too long anyway, and feel I can at least get a little bit of time in Desolation and the Broughtons, while making the trip up to Chatterbox more of a destination driven trip rather than spending much time along the way and back. OTOH, I could trailer the boat again after Chatterbox and Desolation, and relaunch at Telegraph Cove to see the Broughtons. Advice or thoughts? Colby
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to launch near the Broughtons I would launch at Port McNeil. It seems to have better services and you can get secure parking near the launch.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do a loop launching from any of these places. Johnstone straight can be nasty and you might have to wait a day or two for weather.. Launching at Telegraph or Port McNeil would avoid that run.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at my planning chart now. Maybe the first thing I need to do is orient myself with exactly which islands are part of the Broughtons, and what all is considered Desolation Sound. (As I'm a bit confused with the suggestions/information being provided. When I look at my chart, I see several larger islands flanked by "Desolation Sound" on the south and Hardwicke Island on the north. Then a bit of a run up Johnstone Strait, with numerous coves, up till W. Crocroft Island, with numerous smaller islands just north of that.

Bob, is that the run up Johnstone that you say might be a little rough? Part of this year's "cruise" is kind of a shake down and learning experience for me before heading up to the North part of the Inside Passage next year. Interestingly enough, I was reading one book that spoke of circumventing Vancouver Island in a month. I'm just primarily looking at the area between Princess Louisa Inlet, and Port McNeil with just about 4 weeks of time. Looking at the bigger chart, it looks like I could do a run up Princess Louisa Inlet from either Ladysmith or Campbell River. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnston Strait can be "bumpy" would be putting it mildly. it is not uncommon to have a 3 day blow that will generate stuff you would not want to be in, in a C-Dory. I have seen 5-6 foot plus there and been stuck in Alert Bay for 3 days of 30 knots and more with not let up. It is typical to have late morning winds come up that will last the rest of the day. Launching at Telegraph Cove you can get across Johnston early in the morning in the fog before the wind comes up. It is only a few miles across and then you can get into protection. You don't have to run in Johnston Strait.

As mentioned in another thread, these are the places I would recommend for launch and parking.

For the Broughtons I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Telegraph Cove. I have stayed there several times. They are easy to work with, plenty of secure parking, a good washdown and ramp (IF you are on the Building 29 side of the bay.) It is great easy access to the Broughtons north edge, and often good whale watching. Contact info for TC.

http://www.telegraphcove.ca/content/marina
1642 TELEGRAPH COVE ROAD,
TELEGRAPH COVE, BC
CANADA V0N 3J0
TELEPHONE: (250) 928-3163 OR 1-877-TEL-COVE
FAX: (250) 928-3162
EMAIL: RESERVATIONS@TELEGRAPHCOVE.CA

For Desolation, Campbell River is good access, and CR Storage was a super place to park. If/When you call, tell them you saw them on the C-BRATS. They are a bit out of town but gave "courtesy rides" to and from the launch ramp in CR. Here is contact info:

CR STORAGE WAREHOUSES
4350 Terminal Place
Middle Point (Across from Coal Terminal)
2.5 min North of Discovery LNG
(Northern end of Campbell River, BC)

250-287-UNIT (8648)
Toll-free: 1-866-513-8648

info@crstoragewarehouses.ca

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change 6... Confused Looking more at the idea of ferrying over to Vancouver Island, and launching from there, makes some sense. So for now I'm going with launching out of Ladysmith to head over to Friday Harbor, and then after the gathering , enjoying cruising back up through some of the San Juans I missed before, and the Gulf Islands. Back into Ladysmith, drive my wife down to the Victoria Airport, then return to Ladysmith to load the boat and trailer up to Campbell River. Launch to do Prince Louisa Inlet and Desolation Sound. Then either stay on the water up to the Broughtons, or retrieve the boat, trailer up to Telegraph Cove and relaunch there. I suspect the cost of the Ferry will break even or save me a bit on boat fuel and time. At this point I'm looking at the BC Ferries out of Tsawwassen to Duke Point by Nanaimo. Unless someone knows of a better ferry choice... Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Change 6... :? Looking more at the idea of ferrying over to Vancouver Island, and launching from there, makes some sense. So for now I'm going with launching out of Ladysmith to head over to Friday Harbor, and then after the gathering , enjoying cruising back up through some of the San Juans I missed before, and the Gulf Islands. Back into Ladysmith, drive my wife down to the Victoria Airport, then return to Ladysmith to load the boat and trailer up to Campbell River. Launch to do Prince Louisa Inlet and Desolation Sound. Then either stay on the water up to the Broughtons, or retrieve the boat, trailer up to Telegraph Cove and relaunch there. I suspect the cost of the Ferry will break even or save me a bit on boat fuel and time. At this point I'm looking at the BC Ferries out of Tsawwassen to Duke Point by Nanaimo. Unless someone knows of a better ferry choice... Colby

Crazy idea....You are going to go thru customs to drive thru Tsawwassen to Nanaimo, drive to Ladysmith, launch, go thru the Gulf Islands to get to Friday harbor, where you clear customs back into the USA. The only advantage I see there is that you have the truck to drive your wife to the Airport. (Launching at Sidney would be far closer to the airport and better for both the Gulf and San Juans, if you wanted to clear customs several times...and there are closer places to take the ferry.) :lol:

A Nordhavn 40 (boat that went around the World), took 75 days to do the 1200 miles around Vancouver Island--and had to wait out weather several times. We took over that in our 46 footer (also built for circumnavigation) and didn't think it was enough time--most of our 3 months was on the West side) I have spent a month in the Broughtons, and didn't think it was enough.

Did you download the Navionics link? The Garmin Blue Charts App also gives good charts to review--that gives you some detailed chart of the various coves, and you can plot distances. You want to maximize your time cruising great areas and seeing things, than crossing straits and rough bodies of water.

Yes from Vancouver Island Campbell River is a good launching point, and you can make a loop, as I suggested in the other post. The Broughtons are from North Broughton South including all of those Islands North and East of Cracroft Point.

Desolation Sound proper is the area N and E of Gifford Peninsula, North Side officially is Mink Island, on up to the provincial park. But Squirrel Cove, and all of the arms of Redonda Island are worth exploration. You can travel in fairly protected waters up to Sunderland Channel, North of Hardwicke Island-- There are anchorages at Blenkinsop Bay, to wait out a North Wind coming down Johnstone Strait. Port Neville gives a stop if you need to get out of the weather. Not sure of the status of the Government Dock there--we anchored. It is about 30 miles in Johnstone Straits where you are exposed. We went down this channel in the C Dory 25 with seas well into the 8- 10 foot range--no one was coming up the channel and all were anchored at Port Neville or Sunderland Channel area.

One of the resorts in the Broughton had a C Dory 22 as their transport boat. Some folks had gotten injured when crossing during heavy weather. This stretch needs to be respected.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information Bob. It does help. Yeah, I know it's crazy. But looking at everything and considering what I want to do and where I want to go, it really does make sense. I have Garmin's Bluechart G2 Vision for the area, and along with being able to plug it into my chartplotter, I can also plug it in my computer to use with Homeport and zoom in to get detailed chart views. And I also have Active Captain loaded into the software also, so can even link to information there. For general idea of the area, I have a planning chart hanging on my wall next to my desk. I think I"ll break even in costs regarding the ferry ride vs. my own fuel use and time. I'm trusting another C-Brat's recommendation to use Ladysmith, and in speaking with someone at the marina there today, sounds like parking will be no problem. I will have to pay for parking in Campbell River, but that puts me closer to Desolation, and I can loop up to the Broughtons from there, if the weather is cooperating. And if not, I can still trailer even farther north.

Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: