The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2018 Inside Passage South
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay. I know some would say I spent way to little time doing this trip. And they are probably right. But I've enjoyed every bit of it, and have a short attention span, so tend to move on when I see what I want. The scenery is fantastic, but there is some great scenery in many places. I will most likely be joining some fellow C-brats at Isle Royal next month, then inviting them to join me in the Apostle Islands after that. (Both in Lake Superior) Just as beautiful there as here, but without the salt mess! Mr. Green However, it's the small communities that I really enjoy seeing. Or even the larger rustic ones, such as Ketchikan, etc. Thus I still look forward to getting to SE Alaska, planning for next summer. If I had not already made other arrangements, I would have loved to followed Gene and his wife north.
As for the prior planning, some of that helped, but much of this trip was somewhat flexible. I didn't visit everywhere I marked, as I would get suggestions from others I met along the way here. And places like Prideaux Haven weren't even on my radar. I just popped in there as I saw it on the charts underway to another place, looked it up in Waggoners and the Cruising Guides, and chose to go check it out. That was one of my favorites. Then across the way from there, Roscoe Cove was another one. And Connover Cove. Refuge Harbor was nice as well. For scenery, the run part way up Toba Inlet was gorgeous with it's waterfalls. Before Toba, the marina manager at Campbell River Fishermans Wharf suggested Butte Inlet. However the owner at Refuge said Toba would be closer and very beautiful also. So did one rather than the other. So many suggestions from other C-Brats, but the locals and those few cruising beside me in the marinas, had some excellent suggestions. One thing that would definitely make it much easier to stay out longer with out my wife, would be if cruising with others. As for launching, Ladysmith was great. Good ramp, free parking, and a nice big car wash that had Outboard flushing capibility just a block away. (Also a spigot at the marina office, that officially is not available...but if you have your own hose....) Campbell River another good ramp, but no fresh water washdown or outboard flush available near by. There are some carwashes within a few miles, but I didn't see any flushing attachements. Since I was there shorter than initially planned, I just parked at the ramp lot, for $5/night. They said I could park for free over in a municipal lot, however a local Mountie said he wouldn't leave his rig there for a week. Too many transients. I didn't see any trailers parked there either, mostly just some old RV's and cars... Telegraph Cove was another good ramp, with a wash down rack at the top. (Don't use the smaller ramp by the store, but rather the one over by dockside 29.) Good parking for $8/nite or $35/week. The ferry from Tsawwassen to Duke Point (Nanaimao) was a bit pricey for coming over at $240, however they are now running their specials so my cost going back with be $161. Convert that to US and it's not all that bad. Most the marinas seemed to cost about $1.00/foot, with additional charges for electricity of about $7/nite, and Loonies for showers or $5 at the office. For me, still a bit cheaper than slipping in Door County! Gas on the water has been about 170/litter, and on land anywhere from 144.9 to 167.9 / litter. Yeah, a bit pricey compared to the US. My total mileage on the water for this trip was 441 nm. Chartplotter showed my average speed at 7kts, which kind of surprised me as I ran on plane a lot also. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Colby, WOW, I have been reading like crazy to try and catch up with you, and alas, I'm there now and you are gone. I have been devouring your Desolation and Broughton notes and wishing .... would have been great buddy boating. Great places, good memories and some secret places you missed. Well, not really secret, just lucky when I was there I guess. There are several places form pretty reliable whale sittings, and some good eating. Glad you had good results at Telegraph. Interesting CR storage wasn't more helpful. Good to hear you get the good rate on the ferry. Travel safe. We have to catch up somewhere along the line.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last of the photos uploaded. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer need my 2018 Ports and Passes book. This covers 2018 Tides & Currents for Washington Inside Waters, British Columbia & Southeast Alaska. If anyone would like it, it's yours for the price of shipping. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: