The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Do I need a Doel-Fin Hydrofoil Stabilizer ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Do I need a Doel-Fin Hydrofoil Stabilizer ? Reply with quote

So I've got the new CD inside for the New England winter - it fits nicely in one corner of the hanger - and I've begun to think about upgrades.

I was over at a local marina and saw a Honda 90 with what I was told are "Doel Fins". The cost of adding is less than $100 - is this something that enhances a CD's performance?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that I will sell you because i hate it and plan to replace it with a permatrim foil this spring. The problem with the doelfin or any of the wide fins is that on a flat bottom boat they make the ass end of the boat slide around to much. Any way thats what I think. the back end just gets to screwy in the hard turns. Wne I was pulling the kids around in a tube this summer I really had to watch how hard of a turn I made or the boat would slide and then grap and lean over hard to the out side. A permatrim from what I have been told does not do this because its thiner and longer with a edge that bites in to the water. several poeple here have them and it has been posted about in lenght. Try this thread, http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=815
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Tom. I've never used Doelfins or any other hydrofoil brand other than the Permatrim that I installed this past spring. I really liked the way it worked along with the tilt/trim on the motor and unlike other hydrofoils I read about, there has been no instability on turns whatsoever. The Permatrim just bites into the water and doesn't cause the boat to feel squirrely at all. And it works great in getting the bow down to smooth out the pounding from the chop. I noticed the difference immediately.

Peter
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter hows the fishing been down your way, have you tried for blackmouth yet??
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,
No, I haven't been out fishing at all. Part of the problem is I keep my boat at Twin Bridges. Anytime you need a partner, let me know. I'm willing to learn Smile

Peter
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-dancer, Susan and I are going out on sunday if one or both of you want to go. We will be fishing the everret area for black mouth. It has been slow here but should pick up soon. the weather on saturday is down right scarey but sunday is suppost to be calmer, 10kts and 1 ft waves. let me know.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, that might work for me. I'll ask Caryn if she's interested and I'll PM you. Thanks for the offer.

Peter
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: PermaTrim... Reply with quote

I'll echo the comments regarding PermaTrim. I installed one on Naknek this spring, and like it. It definitely increases the pitch control on the boat; Wow! The manufacturer also mentioned that it makes an effective swim step/platform, thus reboarding the boat is easier. I haven't used it as a swim step yet - but soon, hopefully. Haven't noticed any adverse affect on handling.

I have a different brand of fin ("SE" something as I recall) on another boat, and frankly can't tell any effect whatsoever. I've had it on and off several times - and still can't tell a difference. Now I just leave it on so the holes are covered.

Back on PermaTrim. The only thing I didn't like was the installation. Drilling ten (yea, 10...) holes in the cavitation plate made me nervous, but since it seems to be working just fine, I'll leave it on. The bolts sent with the PermaTrim are about 3/8" too long for the Suzuki, so I cut/smoothed them accordingly. 'Mo betta.

Overall I'm very happy with the PermaTrim.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SST Hydofoil, even in a Honda box and in matching color, made my single engine 16 Cruiser hard to control in choppy Lake Erie waters. Boat would have difficulty coming out of turns and would take a list to one side or the other at whim.

I replaced it with the PermaTrim and am much happier!

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: