The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruising with a kicker on a CD-25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Cruising with a kicker on a CD-25 Reply with quote

Last Tuesday we had company and took them out on the St. Johns River. Traveled about 40 miles total, with about 30 of those miles powered by our Yamaha 9.9 HP Hi-Thrust tiller kicker. We like to go slow anyway and averaged about 5mph. We connect the Yamaha 200HPDI to the kicker with a simple Panther motor steering kit. I did have to buy a longer rod but it came out to less than $55. For throttle control we went with a Troll Master Pro 3+ Wireless Remote Power Control. With this I can adjust my speed on the kicker anywhere on the boat.

I bought the kicker for trolling and also as a get home motor for Lake Superior. But, I'll be using it for cruising a lot more in the future. I can't say for sure what the fuel burn because my fuel flow meter is inaccurate at less than 2GPH but I know it was a lot less. Its also a lot quieter and produces less fumes at slow speeds.

Not for everyone, I'm sure, but it works for me.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom tell me more about your throttle control. I just have a tiller on my Tohatsu 6hp. I can connect the steering to linkage with my main, but only way to control the throttle is back at the tiller. Would that wireless remote work with something like that, or do you need to have a remote hookup to begin with? Colby
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see a video and a medium-term review! So the tiller is just for direction, is it a full Yamaha tiller? I used to have the 9.9 high thrust but I'll have to get used to the honda kicker!

I like controlling from the helm but really want to be able to troll and grab rods when we catch a fish and be able to steer away from other boats.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby....They make a kit for the Tohatsu 6hp and many others. Mine was easy to hook up. I’ll show you at Hontoon.

Kaelc....You can still use the tiller and throttle control on the tiller or the Troll Master 3+. It is a full Yamaha tiller.

Tom
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice cruise on the 9.9! I had a T9.9 on previous 21' boat and did some similar cruising with it. They have tons of thrust, don't they? I miss that engine, and have thought about getting another for the current boat, for exactly that purpose. But I keep waiting / hoping for the EFI version that must surely be around the corner.

I currently have a 6 hp Tohatsu Sail Pro (high thrust prop + 6A charging) and have done some similar cruising on the 22' on nice days, but have usually kept the speed down around 3 kts, which is pretty low RPMs, since the single cyl vibrates more at higher RPMs. I just set the throttle on the tiller, then steer from the cabin using the main engine as a rudder. Works great, and it's fun to cruise for miles just crawling along the shoreline of an island, using practically no fuel and putting no hours on the main, while enjoying a nice calm sunny day on the water.

Glad to hear there are others who enjoy this sort of thing!

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeR wrote:
But I keep waiting / hoping for the EFI version that must surely be around the corner.

One EFI 9.9 already made it around the corner, and it matches your main motor in color. Just saying...

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup Tom! That's good that you're using it. Inactivity is a killer on small engines (ask me how I know!).

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also another throttle controller called the control king that has been working great on my Yamaha 8hp for a few years now. Simple setup consisting of a servo motor hooked to the throttle and wired to the helm with an on/off and throttle control dial.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch123 wrote:
There is also another throttle controller called the control king that has been working great on my Yamaha 8hp for a few years now. Simple setup consisting of a servo motor hooked to the throttle and wired to the helm with an on/off and throttle control dial.

I have used the Troll King (original name) for 25 yrs. to run the speed on the kickers I have had. Great product, but wired. A wireless version sounds great!! I find myself trolling with the Suzi 175 because it is QUITER than the 9.9 Yami.
Mr. Green Beer Wink

YMMV!!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I do much the same thing with my 6hp. Works great sitting on the back splash shield while trolling. However there are times I'd like to use it for just displacement cruising from the cabin, but with better speed control than having to run back out back to change speeds. I also find, being too lazy to hook up the steering linkage, the main works well as a rudder! Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: