View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Did I miss something? Reply with quote

What is this "moderator" that some folks have under their names now?

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only replying here to assure folks this is a good thing - I'll let Mike reply in detail when he has time, as he set it up.

In short, we need help. The site has gotten too popular for two of us to "manage" in the way we would like. While we take a very hands-off approach to managing this site, there's tons of stuff that happens under the covers.

There are two primary areas the mods will be helping with.

First - organization. We've been lax on keeping topics in their appropriate forums. For example, when an engine topic gets posted in General Chat, it needs to be moved to the Outboard section.

Second - the "welcome wagon". There was a time when we greeted all new C-Brats. Nothing makes somebody feel more at home than having somebody recognize they're new here, and offering up a greeting and offer of support. We can't do that anymore on our own, so the moderators will be helping out.

Many sites enroll the help of moderators to keep an eye on posts, giving them the ability to edit, delete, or even ban members. That's not why they are being introduced here. Yes, if they see something questionable, they'll report it to Mike or me, but for the most part that's never been a problem here, and is not why we're bringing them on board.

I've already said too much, just didn't want anyone thinking this new addition was a cause for concern. Let's wait for Mike's announcement before following up with comments, suggestions etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was wondering what new powers the ones in green were being C-knighted with! Unofficially, I welcome and appreciate their help on this fun and informative site!
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be best if we wait until I have quit being so grumpy before any reasons or explanations are posted. The idea has been around for a while, but until recently it has been merely an idea. I always thought adding Moderators should wait until there was a demonstrable need for it, and my identification of that need was in haste, I think. Don't worry about the green guys yet - all they can do so far is moderate themselves.

Rest assured there will be no kings, queens, jacks or jerks. My recent impetus was born of the wrong reasons, but my even more recent reflection on the matter has been less reactive and more considered. An occasional bop upalongside the head from Bill helps keep me in check, too. What started out to become a fleet of internet cops is going to end up as a group of two. One will be a man on the west coast who is blessed with the wisdom of years, and the other will be a comparative youngster on the east coast trained in the ways of a diplomat. The selection of these two gentleman was based solely on the respect and admiration I have for their patience, social wisdom, and the tone of their written voices. Their role would be better defined as that of a Facilitator rather than Moderator, but the nerds of the world get to pick the words. Me, I am just a mechanic by trade, and the older I get the less confidence I have in the existence of my people skills. The two green guys will be can't-miss, slam-dunk in that field.

It's going to be a while before this addition to our site's qualities is active. When it does begin, we will scarcely know it is there.

Thanks for the understanding and patience,

Mike
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You do yourself a grave injustice. You have proven time and again on here that your wisdom and people skills are above reproach!

Moderating can be a tough job. I know, I am on on another site. You two have done a great job so far and I commend you for it.

As the site grows and has more posts per day it will get harder and harder for you two to read each and every post to determine if it needs to be moderated. Having helpers is not a bad thing! On Gamefishin.com where I am a moderator we get far too many posts for me to read every day. So there are several moderators to take care of the forums. As this site grows it too will need this kind of staff.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
It might be best if we wait until I have quit being so grumpy before any reasons or explanations are posted.

Mike,

That's why I always get blamed for everything. My grandchildren keep giving me "Grumpy" T shirts. !!

Seriously, you guys are doing a great, and very difficult job of keeing this site in order. It has been an invaluable source of information to me as a "newbie owner to be" of a CD (12 days to go and counting).

Keep up the good work

Merv (aka Grumpy) and Kathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: