View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Lease terminated for Cypress Island fish farm Reply with quote

https://www.goskagit.com/news/local_news/lease-terminated-for-cypress-island-fish-farm/article_9aee4fd0-73ad-5820-96f2-c785dfdddeff.html

(This is in the San Juan Islands of Washington state.)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the proper thing to do!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Cooke has flagrantly violated the terms of its lease at Cypress Island,” said Hilary Franz, state Commissioner of Public Lands. “The company’s reckless disregard endangered the health of our waters and our people, and it will not be tolerated.

On behalf of all Washingtonians, and in fulfillment of my duty to protect our state’s waters, I am terminating the lease.

This lady gets my vote again. Good to see progress. Frankly I am surprised Cooke wasn't harvesting the muscles of the nets. Could have saved them a bunch and made some money besides. But, I'm glad the net pens are going.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be a discussion in the state between industry, government, tribes, and people as to what seafoods are best farmed and how. Any and every system has advantages and disadvantages. If Cooke is willing to spend money and produce seafood they can and should be a participant. If they can only produce seafoods by ignoring or breaking regulations and laws they can just go.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a stupid decision. well there goes a bunch of jobs.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobLL wrote:
"There needs to be a discussion in the state between industry, government, tribes, and people as to what seafoods are best farmed and how. Any and every system has advantages and disadvantages. If Cooke is willing to spend money and produce seafood they can and should be a participant. If they can only produce seafoods by ignoring or breaking regulations and laws they can just go."

Quote:
"just a stupid decision. well there goes a bunch of jobs."

If Cook wanted to farm fish in something other than open net pens, like land based farming, they could farm, more easily meet clean environment standards, and provide a bunch of jobs. Of course that would take more $$ out of somebody in Cooks payroll, and they don't want to give up any of those $$$$$$$ to jobs, environment or local community.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom: I submit that the stupid decision was granting the leases in the first place. Why give public assistance to an obviously incompetent corporation? This decision is a welcome example of our government acting with courage and authority to protect ALL of us, rather than enabling a few greedy and stupid individuals who have demonstrated they could not care less about you, me, or anyone else in this State. The waters in question belong to every WA resident, not the clownshow running these fish farms. Maybe the displaced employees can find jobs which don't involve major environmental destruction?

Mike
RobLL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with oyster farming in Willapa Bay in SW Washington is the large amounts of pesticides to control ghost or mud shrimp. Collateral damage to other marine organisms is high.

Geoduck farming involves protecting 'seed' with plastic pipes.

Nets, notably weighed down with mussels, could be used to grow mussels, oysters, and other sea creatures.

I don't think that there has been a good marketing and scientific study of what could be grown in Puget Sound. There may be fish other than salmon and shell fish which would grow in our water, or tanks near the water.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything growing in open net pens in the ocean water which would be receiving supplemental food (and probably even if not getting supplemental food) would concentrate byproduct waste in the area causing an alteration in the local eco system.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardee. It's not about lining their pockets its about staying in business. I know that does not meet your evil business propaganda. I am sure that the state not allowing permits to be issued last year to get work done om time ( Seattle times story ) that would have help prevent this in the first place. Sorry but not allowing this business to continue with all new nets and floats based on salacious news stories, lies, political favoritism, price fixing, etc is a crying shame.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom: You actually seem to believe that Cooke has the RIGHT to use public waters in any manner it chooses for its business operations. The waters in question do not belong to Cooke, but rather to the citizens of our State. You do understand that don't you?

Now, the State in its wisdom may grant leases or permits for private use (for logging operations, tour boat terminals, fishing, dock construction, marinas, etc.) but the State absolutely gets to set the terms and conditions to protect the owners' interests. Here it was clearly demonstrated by the facts of the initial net failure investigation, by Cooke's many other lease violations (encroachments, inadequate oversight, etc) , and by their attempts to evade responsibility, that Cooke had materially violated the terms of the leases.

Do you believe in contracts? What normally happens in your business when one party flagrantly violates a contract? I personally believe it was damn generous (if not foolhardy) for the State to have granted these leases in the first place. As a longtime and current owner of many businesses I'm confident the State is now doing the right thing, and I'm encouraged that lobbying and political contributions are not preventing swift and appropriate enforcement action.

This is not a case of the government picking on a poor little company. Cooke has shown itself to be an irresponsible corporate citizen who doesn't deserve the PRIVILEGE of doing business in our state. I hope they don't let the door hit their asses on the way out!

Mike
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook and future open net fish farms in WA waters are done.

Good. Good for our environment. Good for our wild salmon populations. Good for the sport fishing industry. Good for the individual salt water fisherman -- even some that think I am falling for some evil business propaganda.

And if it was up to Cook, they would come back with "with all new nets and floats based on salacious news stories, lies, political favoritism, price fixing, etc...." and do it all over again to us. Lining their pockets, paying their employees pennies on their dollar income, and polluting Washington State.

To you Tom, good fishing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I avoid farm raised fish of any type. I knew nothing about Cooke Seafood Inc., thinking it was some poor small local company--wrong. In 2016 Cooke produced 275,000 metric tons of seafood and generated an estimated USD 1.8 billion. That sounds like a mighty big operation.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their story. Worldwide operations, longtime aquaculture presence in Canada. These folks should know how to deal with difficult sites. Bottom of this site a world map detailing their locations.

http://www.cookeseafood.com/about-cooke/

RobLL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Washington State Senate has passed a law phasing out this sort of farming.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/washington-state-senate-oks-phasing-out-atlantic-salmon-net-pen-farming/

And now excuse my philosophizing. There is a meta-religious sacrament of place. While the famous Chief Seattle speach is heavily mythologized it still remains a powerful mythology of who we are. We here in the Northwest are stewards of the salmon, orcas, clean water, and also honoring the first people (and their descendents) who were here before us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Seattle

Many of us have ancestors going on for 200 years. We do not see that so much as a badge of pride, but as a responsibility to restore 'our place' and hand it off to those who come after us. This feeling is widely shared. It lies behind the push for recognition of the Salish Sea, spending millions on repairing culverts - and yes - salmon almost mysteriously appear after doing those things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: