The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit and deck paint
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheepshead

City/Region: hilton head
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Photos: Sheepshead
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Cockpit and deck paint Reply with quote

Just received my 22 Angler the other day.

I was wondering what type of paint could be used to re paint the cockpit and deck....the non gel coat areas?

Thanks.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember what year your boat is--but most of the boats had rolled on gel coat for the floors of both the cockpit and cabin. You can roll on more gel coat--using a high nap roller house can re-gelcoat the floor. That can give a non skid surface if you thicken it with Cabosil (fumed silica). The gel coat has to have wax in it, and of course you add the catalyst.

Another option is either a single part paint, such as "Brightside". You can also use two part Interlux "Perfection". The problem with many urethane paints is that they do not do well under water, if your boat is kept outside without cover, and does not drain well..."Bilge coat" is a bilge paint which is formulated to do well when under water and exposed to various oils. Two part epoxies, such as for driveways or garage floors are very durable. But some epoxies are not UV rated, for sun exposure, so be sure that any paint is going to stand up.

Kiwigrip is a deck paint with non skid. A final option is truck bed liner, formulated for boat decks, such as: Line X.

Many of us put the Dri Deck or Duragrid or similar interlocking plastic tiles on the deck surface--and may cover with an indoor/outdoor carpet, which is easily washed. There are a number of industrial foam mats which can be placed over the deck. (I had some interlocking ones, purchased at Sam's club.)

There are any number of plastic "fake teak" or other patterns which can be applied and last a long time. If you are really flush with cash there is "Deckadece" A high end mesh--only about $32 a lineal foot 4' wide! (figure at least $300 for the angler).

If you are going to paint, clean the deck well, with soap and water, and then TSP, rinse well, and dry. If there is material loose and flaking, consider a pressure washer. You can also use a degreaser and then etching primer to assure better adhesion.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Many of us put the Dri Deck or Duragrid or similar interlocking plastic tiles on the deck surface.

Love my Dri-Dek.

Andy Ryan

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the paint...But for the faux teak option, I would highly suggest PlasDeck. I did my 19 Angler with that and had above average results.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I thought this might be cool - https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90234226/
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
At one point I thought this might be cool - https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90234226/

Bro, that looks way too thick to work!
Sheepshead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Angler is a 2008'.
I wasn't sure if it was gel coat or just a regular paint used on the deck and lower gunwhales.
I guess I will need to learn all about gel coat soon enough.
Thanks Bob.

These same areas (lower gunwhale and deck).....do you ever spray them with bleach? Or does that damage gel coat?
My other boat is an older carolina skiff. I was never concerned with it about looks, just keeping her tidy. So I'd just rinse and spray with some bleach.

My Angler cockpit deck has cedar planking over stringers from previous owner creating a nice flat surface and would keep feet dry. I like the idea, but I will either refinish it or re do it altogether to make it look a little nicer.
If I re do it, I am thinking of using the composite "treks" wood from Home depot.
I will probably get the dry dek type mat for the cabin deck for sure.

That is beautiful work on the faux teak "South of Heaven."
Thanks for sharing.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Ordutch1975 wrote:

Bro, that looks way too thick to work!

The Ikea stuff is about 5/8 thick. It is wood on a plastic backing to allow interlocking of the tiles. It will allow water to flow through the slats and under the tiles.

I am probably going to put this in the cockpit of my 22 Cruiser this spring. Should be around $100.

I was using "plush" utility mats from HD, but they tended to hold water both in top of the mat and underneath between the mat and the deck.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome you finally got your Angler. We're neighbors sort of. I'll be looking out for you when were out and about. We saw another c-dory near St Catherines island the other day, that was the first time I'd spotted another c-dory in this area other than our own.

Bleach works great as you've discovered with your skiff. I've used it to get discoloration from the awful live oak debris that stains the gel coat in the fall. The problem with it is it strips any wax you have completely off. Its hard to beat though if you have some staining that is stubborn. Just reapply the wax if you don't want that chalky oxidized look. Lower gunnel and deck isn't a big deal anyway for wax.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1028&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Comes in different colors too.

Quote:
...do you ever spray them with bleach?

I have used Barkeeper's Friend, Gelcoat cleaner & polish and/or a diluted acid mix for rust stains.

This stuff works well, but there are other brands too.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=7284&engine=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7ejC1cSP2QIVilx-Ch0_xgvnEAQYAiABEgIEIvD_BwE

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the "cleaners" like barkeepers friend, have mild abrasives, and oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is a mild acid (still need to wear eye protection and gloves), and you can buy powder at paint stores and big box like Home Depot. A lifetime supply for $30 (or less). Stronger acids are not good for the gel coat. There are also specific products for mold--but Chlorox can be used.

If you are referring to the side decks and swim platform, etc--all of these surfaces are gel coat. Our Cal 46 was over 20 years old, and had seen charter service in the Caribbean. Most of the hull and topsides were painted with Awlgrip. I rolled on Awlgrip to all of the decks. I found best was first coast with fine grit glass beads, and second coat, no additive. This gave an attractive surface was better grip than the original "Diamond" molded pattern.

If these areas you want to paint are the molded diamond non skid, then I suggest paint with some non skid substance. Beach sand is often too aggressive. The KiwiGrip is a good alternative.
Sheepshead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul and Brianna,
I visit the dive shop in Richmond Hill fairly often.
One day, while in the area, I'd love to check out your boat!
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great, We'd love to meet you! I'll message you my number.
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

The Ikea stuff is about 5/8 thick. It is wood on a plastic backing to allow interlocking of the tiles. It will allow water to flow through the slats and under the tiles.

I am probably going to put this in the cockpit of my 22 Cruiser this spring. Should be around $100.

I believe the stuff is also actually teak - and should hold up ok. I am pondering it on the back deck of my boat - What is great is that you can pull it up pretty easily for cleaning underneath..
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikea says it is "Solid acacia wood".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: