The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seattle Boat Show - Such a sparse showing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument on the quality of the boat. I have said before in this now multiply page subject that the cdory built today is better then it has been in a long time, but what upgrades and difference's are there? in the hull of the boat its self? Its the same 10 year old hull. I loved it when cdory changed the hull from a flat bottom it some what of a dead rise. Added strakes etc. Added the raised floor ( year after I bought my 22 so I added that floor to my older design ) . There was a reason to buy a new boat then. And my dealer Les made it really easy with financing that covered everything from the hull to the motors, downrigger, cover, full electronics etc ( sound Like another boat builder that is doing great today??) trailer. Everything was included in the price for 50K. ( will have to do the math to compare adjusted priced to todays boats) . les earned my business and I brought him business because of it. I gave test rides for free to many here who ended up buying boat.

I just do not see the factory or the dealers ( twin river being a exception from what I hear ) do the same today.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
starcrafttom wrote:
[
If cdory is not improving the line of boats, is not promoting the line as much as we are, then why would any one pay more money for a new boat that has little if any improvement over the same boat used. You can buy a nice well equipped cdory for a lot less then the same boat new with a lot less on it.

one of the great things about boats is that you can put a new engine and new technology on a old boat for far less then buying a new boat, unlike a car.

I had an '07 in like new condition and just got a '17 last March. There is a big difference and to me worth the price. NWI is making a really really really good boat!

I think you mean NMI.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:

I think you mean NMI.

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:

I think you mean NMI.

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Haha, love that movie.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing the current version of "Power and Motor Yacht", there was an article on the Ranger 27 (outboard powered), where the price was quoted at $185,000 for the PNW version and $200,000 for the "Deluxe Version" (includes the generator and air conditioning)....a few pages later I found an article for a 42' "Cruisers" yacht at the price of $1,004,000 dollars! Of course you have to have deep pockets to afford the fuel at cruising speed of 21 knots (27 gallons an hour--which I suspect is optimistic) Lets say diesel is $4.00 a gallon, that means over $100 an hour)...Makes our C Dory's and similar boats seem like a real bargain!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, check out the new Grand Banks 60!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Bob, check out the new Grand Banks 60!

Might be a decent coastal cruising boat--but not a "Passagemaker" as touted. The boat is very light weight, and that is why they can get the high speeds. If you get in heavy weather--it would be a disaster.

She was over 2 years behind on the launch--and price is a "measly 3.28 million--base price. Rigged out, probably over 4 million! A bit out of my price range, even if I was looking for a boat that size. Best deal is a used Nordhavn--I have seen a 62 for in the $700K asking price, and I suspect you could buy her for less. A lot more boat--but since it is 20 years old, might need a few upgrades...I am familiar with this boat and the one for $899K and both have made long voyages trouble free recently--A new boat comparable would be over $4 million. If you really want a bargain--there is a 2017 Nordhavn 63, with less than 500 hours on the engine, for the bargain price of 2.7 million!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can have em'! Big and very comfortable, yes, but limited in so many other ways. Small, rugged, economical, trailerable and portable boats like ours are so much fun and such a wise investment--if we use them. I've been told a dozen times over the years by couples in large cruisers that the most fun they had boating was when they owned an island-hopper like ours years ago.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a boat for a specific purpose. If you are crossing oceans, the big boat, is both safer and far more comfortable. If you are doing rivers lakes, near shore cruising, and trailering--nothing beats a C Dory (but I am prejudiced!

Marie and I both say the best times of our lives were when we were cruising full time--and crossing oceans-- or long coastal trips. For the inland passage, there are two ways of looking at it. The C Dory can make a good 25 miles an hour, and go over 100 miles in a day, even with the passes, adverse currents etc. We had the Cal 46 for our 4 inland passages at a slow pace (6 to 7 knots, max sustained 8 knots). A long day was 50 miles. --But we had unlimited hot water, with a nice hot shower, 10 cu foot freezer, range of 3000 miles under power. Heater that kept the entire boat warm at night. Would handle any weather, with out stopping if we wanted. If we wanted "Fast" the RIB would do 20 knots and could be launched in a couple of minutes. Pilot house to be out of the weather...Like the C Dory. But we had unlimited time... got 6 miles per gallon of diesel...
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob you bring up a good point. Its the right boat for the right misson for the right person. Susan and I like our CD27 a lot. I like it for the big deck and the speed. Susan likes the tugs for the " girl factor" . They are a nice boat and I would like one but they are too slow for out life right now
Well except for the new RT-27 , which will cruise in the high 20's to low 30's and is reported to get the same or better fuel burn I do now. Even the 22 CD is to slow for Our life right now. Its all about spending more time on the boat , whether its fishing or hanging on the hook , and less time running. We love our 27 because we can run at the same level of comfort at 28 mph as a 22 does at 18 mph. Its about the same ride. And its a better ride then the 25's I have been on at 22 -24 mph. Point is that we have a limited amount of time to spend on the water and some times I have to cut it short and head back. If we are on the west side of the SJ's that extra speed can gain us 2 to 4 hours or extra boating time over travel time. I no longer see boating and travel on a boat as equal.

So when we do have the time to go to alaska in the 27 I am not sure that I will take the 27. I just might buy a bigger boat with more comfort for the summer and sell when I get back. Yes its a long term plan. I would have to have a whole 6 month to travel the way I want but that is the point. I want to take my time and be more comfortable. I want to tow or launch a small boat for fishing while leaving the travel boat and Susan on the hook. WE have been looking in to doing just this in a few years WITHOUT SELLING THE 27. We dont want to wait until retirement to do this trip and will need the 27 when we get back. We can do all this for a lot less money then buying the RT-27 outboard . But damm that is a nice boat.

So I quest the point is that even thought I have the same needs those needs our defined by time. If we only can manage one or tow months for our Alaska trip then its the current 27 ( unless everyone of you buys a house from me this year) . but if we have more time its going to be a used 31 camano troll or Grand banks 42 for the year or so.

Well its off to craiglist to find a 31 CT in alaska.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:

Well except for the new RT-27 , which will cruise in the high 20's to low 30's and is reported to get the same or better fuel burn I do now.

The new Ranger 27 does look like a really REALLY nice boat and I love the speed! One reason I like C-Dories is their front opening center window, as I live in the south, and I love some wind on my face. Rangers don't have this and I think it would make me claustrophobic.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken what they do have is 4 or 6? hatches on the roof that open up and direct air right on top of you. Between that that the large sliding side windows and a glass rear wall the folds up and out of the way I dont see how you could be claustrophobichttp://www.rangertugs.com/Userfiles/Boats/NEW-R-27/Ranger-Tugs-R-27-Outboard2--5-vsm-700--N.jpg
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tom points out ceiling hatches will send a good breeze thru the boat. We put these in our two large pilot house motorsailers. But, in the South, we have to be careful of the solar effect of the sun/greenhouse heat thru the glass, vs insulated roof. A "shade" with the mylar lined bubble insulation works well beneath these plexiglass hatches.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All boats are compromises to your present use.
Life changes, then the present use use changes, then the boat changes.
One thing is for sure. Smaller is easier to handle and clean.
C-dory's are easy to handle and clean up. KISS plan.

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: