The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seattle Boat Show - Such a sparse showing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Vancouver boat show this year, Cutwater had a big display on (as well as a few other dealers like Tug). Cutwater was my friends and family favorite.

As life would have it, a week after the boat show my son did a Coast Guard training week in Tofino. One of the other trainees happened to be from Cutwater. He told my son that pre-boat show, boat show. and post boat show sales totaled 30 boats sold this year! He said it was enough to keep the factory busy for 1 1/2 years!

Is there a lesson here on the difference a good display makes?

1988 22' Angler
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwater/Ranger dealers seem to attend boat shows and display several models all over the place. Every boat show I've been to, there is at least one dealer showing these boats. The recent Baltimore boat show had 5 boats on display. They were all either straight Cutwaters or the Cutwater versions of the Ranger Tugs. There weren't any "classic" Rangers boats on display (although they did have pictures of the classics).

Last year at the Annapolis boat show the local dealer had both types on display.

The boat shows in FL that I often go to always have a dealer showing Rangers/Cutwaters.

Haven't seen any C-Dorys on display at any of the east coast boat shows I've been to. The Ranger people do seem to know what I'm talking about when I mention I have a C-Dory. Most other people sort of get a blank look.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike shotwell wrote:

Hello Dr. Bob, We plan to have the TomCat and 23' and 26' Ventures at Hontoon. Alternates could be a 22' Cruiser and/or Angler. We also plan to have some "Special Guests" attend as well. We look forward to seeing you there!

Hi Mike, Look forward to seeing the new boats, and meeting you. You sold my neighbor Wayne Barr the last Tom Cat 24, I believe it was in 2005. Wayne and his wife, Joyce, both have passed on, but his son Bryant still owns the boat, and I saw it a few months ago.

Just don't let my wife see the new Tom Cat-she speaks of doing be bodily harm, every time she is reminded that we sold ours!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chimoii

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii wrote:
Anyone any idea what the price is of new Venture 23 or a 22 cruiser these days?

May I repeat the question?

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii wrote:
chimoii wrote:
Anyone any idea what the price is of new Venture 23 or a 22 cruiser these days?

May I repeat the question?

Pricing from Seattle show in photo albums at left.
Here's the 23' from this year's show and 22' Cruiser from last year's show:

What Shore

City/Region: Salisbury
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Here After
Photos: What Shore
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it’s been a while since I had made a post. I’ve been sitting out in cyber world but have remained a faithful reader. This thread I’ve been following & I guess don’t completely understand. C Dory is a niche boat for sure. I agree as to more marketing would definitely make us all feel good at the boat shows but if someone wants a CDory they will do what it takes to see one. I personally think it’s a good thing to only build a limited number of boats each year. Take a look at Harley Davidson... in the late 80’s & early 90’s there was a 1+ year wait to get one if you ordered it & was next to impossible to find one on the floor. You could buy a new one keep it a year or two & sell it & retain all of your initial investment if not make money. Then they started changing things & mass producing them so it’s easy to get one but the company has really suffered & so have values. Ranger Tugs are heading down that same road in my opinion. Anytime you flood the market with a product the brand will eventually suffer (values). I’ve owned a CDory 25 & a R-27 & I must say while I owned the Ranger I longed for the Cdory days. All that glitz & glamour is what I consider smoke & mirrors. It looks good but not always what it appears to be. I know we don’t buy a boat thinking it’s an investment but somewhat holding value as Cdory does is not all bad. If we want to support our brand we have to suck it up & buy NEW. This is not always easy but a manufacturer or new boat dealer for that matter can’t survive if all we promote is used boat sales. If that’s continued we’ll only have the need for boat brokers. I was glad to hear a couple new boats have had interest & have been sold. As for me I’m close to picking up a new Tom Cat here in the next couple weeks I hope & really excited about being back.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the boat show price of $70k for a 22 with trailer sounds very good. Ive seen used 22's on YachtWorld for high 50s and even one for in the 60s!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Shore wrote:
Well it’s been a while since I had made a post. I’ve been sitting out in cyber world but have remained a faithful reader. This thread I’ve been following & I guess don’t completely understand. C Dory is a niche boat for sure. I agree as to more marketing would definitely make us all feel good at the boat shows but if someone wants a CDory they will do what it takes to see one. I personally think it’s a good thing to only build a limited number of boats each year. Take a look at Harley Davidson... in the late 80’s & early 90’s there was a 1+ year wait to get one if you ordered it & was next to impossible to find one on the floor. You could buy a new one keep it a year or two & sell it & retain all of your initial investment if not make money. Then they started changing things & mass producing them so it’s easy to get one but the company has really suffered & so have values. Ranger Tugs are heading down that same road in my opinion. Anytime you flood the market with a product the brand will eventually suffer (values). I’ve owned a CDory 25 & a R-27 & I must say while I owned the Ranger I longed for the Cdory days. All that glitz & glamour is what I consider smoke & mirrors. It looks good but not always what it appears to be. I know we don’t buy a boat thinking it’s an investment but somewhat holding value as Cdory does is not all bad. If we want to support our brand we have to suck it up & buy NEW. This is not always easy but a manufacturer or new boat dealer for that matter can’t survive if all we promote is used boat sales. If that’s continued we’ll only have the need for boat brokers. I was glad to hear a couple new boats have had interest & have been sold. As for me I’m close to picking up a new Tom Cat here in the next couple weeks I hope & really excited about being back.

Well said.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: 2018 prices Reply with quote

This link to Three Rivers C-Dory selection shows some selected prices. The details do count, so note the equipment included when comparing prices.
Most would add an electronics suite and some sort of bimini or cockpit enclosure.

https://www.threeriversmarineinc.com/c-dory

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the 26 Venture on the 3rivers website. It lists the boat price as $123K. It also says "Twin Honda BF100s $124,600". There are a couple of ways to read this. Either you can get a 26 Venture with a set of BF100s for about $1500 over the bare boat price, or Honda BF100 engines are really expensive.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Just don't let my wife see the new Tom Cat-she speaks of doing be bodily harm, every time she is reminded that we sold ours!

Bodily harm is not a worry for me. Vicki will sell me before I can sell the Tomcat.
Shocked

mike shotwell
Dealer

City/Region: crystal river
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Regarding the 26 Venture on the 3rivers website. It lists the boat price as $123K. It also says "Twin Honda BF100s $124,600". There are a couple of ways to read this. Either you can get a 26 Venture with a set of BF100s for about $1500 over the bare boat price, or Honda BF100 engines are really expensive.

Please note that $123K includes the Honda BF200 listed above the price in the equipment/options list. That boat has not been rigged with power yet but I wanted to give prices with single or twins. Sorry for the confusion

chimoii

C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike shotwell wrote:
ssobol wrote:

Please note that $123K includes the Honda BF200 listed above the price in the equipment/options list. That boat has not been rigged with power yet but I wanted to give prices with single or twins. Sorry for the confusion

Now that Ranger has the R21 and R25 "on hold" this 26 Venture is really well placed in the market.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we want to support our brand we have to suck it up & buy NEW

wow really confused about this line of thinking. As a buyer I am not here to Support any product line. Its the Job of the manufacturer to support me the buyer. Its their job to support me with a good product that i want to buy, with after purchase support of that product and with good customer service while i own that product.

I had a co worker that hated his job. He was always put out that the customers wanted to ask him questions, get help finding stuff in the store etc. I even heard him say " leave me alone I am working" . I told him once that the customers dont come here so you have a job, you have a job because the customers come here and you better start treading them that way. He did not and got fired. I have ran into him several times over the years and he still does not get it and has never worked anywhere very long.

If cdory is not improving the line of boats, is not promoting the line as much as we are, then why would any one pay more money for a new boat that has little if any improvement over the same boat used. You can buy a nice well equipped cdory for a lot less then the same boat new with a lot less on it.

one of the great things about boats is that you can put a new engine and new technology on a old boat for far less then buying a new boat, unlike a car.

We as clients OWE the manufacture nothing.

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
[
If cdory is not improving the line of boats, is not promoting the line as much as we are, then why would any one pay more money for a new boat that has little if any improvement over the same boat used. You can buy a nice well equipped cdory for a lot less then the same boat new with a lot less on it.

one of the great things about boats is that you can put a new engine and new technology on a old boat for far less then buying a new boat, unlike a car.

I had an '07 in like new condition and just got a '17 last March. There is a big difference and to me worth the price. NWI is making a really really really good boat!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: