The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

transom mounted live bait bag
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: transom mounted live bait bag Reply with quote

Hi all, I am looking into a live bait bag for my 19 foot angler and with limited deck space, wanting either a transom mount or a gunnel mount. I prefer a gunnel mount. Has anyone purchased a "kit" that would include the pump and "everything" needed? I want it for live bait (sardines) and thinking to hold 1/2 scoop. Fishing for ocean (between HB and Catalina). Thank you , any links? I see a lot of bags and a lot of forums on the how to. Im thinking more portable and inclusive.

Richard
bschell

City/Region: tustin
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: bschell 2003 22 Cuiser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Richard,

I am not up to speed on the layout of the 19' angler, I looked in your album but no pictures. Here is what I did on my 22' 2003. The boat came with port and starboard Lazarettes (small storage compartments on either side of the engine well) one of them the port side was set up to hold ice or whatever, it came with a drain in the bottom and all I needed was to add a supply of saltwater which I did. It held 1/2 scoop plus of bait and have been using it for the last 14 years, so if you have anything close to that setup I would be happy help you get it going? let me know..

Brian
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics of my bait tank setup

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album586/Bait_Tank_C_hawk_2.jpg

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album586/Bait_Tank_C_Hawk_1.sized.jpg

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a bait bag on both of the TomCat's we have owned.
Similar to this one.
https://www.boatdepot.com/p-6595/28-gallon-superbag-with-brackets?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7u37ytSC2QIVioV-Ch3JiQ6aEAQYAiABEgLLEvD_BwE

One on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/i/112222688267?chn=ps

On a 19' you may have to mount it overboard on a gunnel.

On the TomCat.

This bag holds a full scoop of sardina's and keeps them in good condition.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand one for many years on my Parker, just like the one in Brent's photo.
I believe mine was 20 gallons and it worked very well. I highly recommend them.
My new fishing boat came with a built in live well or I would still be using a bait bag.
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Transom mounted live bait bag Reply with quote

Hello I hope to get some pictures finally up on the site but need my daughters assistance as technology has passed me by. I like the bait bag hanging off the gunnel , it seems to make good sense for the room . The next step would be plumbing it for the intake of the water . Just curious is there a simple portable way for me to do this ? I like the idea of the compartment but mine has a battery in each available compartment . Thank you all for your help
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to plumb is to put a piece of PVC pipe on the transom. There are any number of clamps which can be epoxied or screwed onto the transom. That can either have a standard thru hull strainer on the bottom, or just PVC pipe with hoses. Many use a standard Rule bilge pump.

Here is a kit for the transom.

A thread from NZ

28 gallons of water with bracket and bait is going to weigh over 220 # Do you really want that weight on one side of the boat--add in your weight when you go to scoop the bait.

I would think that a transom or deck mounted bait tank would be better. My 22 has the built in bait well on the port lazarett, but no pump--just sealed around the top and has the drain with a thru hull to the bottom. It would be fairly easy to convert your port lazarett to a tank.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19s are stern heavy, a design flaw.With the main, the aux get home motor, two fuel tanks, two batteries + I have trim tab pump and reservoir, raw water wash down pump. I removed the live tank the boat came with & added about 100 lbs of lead ingots under my anchor rode to help offset the bow high attitude. Boat rides FAR better!! In a 19, keep your weight forward!!
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: transom mounted live bait bag Reply with quote

Thank you. All good points. I like the bait bag over the transom idea the best as I did not consider the lean. That is very true about the high bow, On any distance run , I will load up the front. Lots to consider. My initial solution is to purchase a sabiki pole and buy a cooler with an aerator . I know this will not work for the sardines and anchovies, but might help keep a few alive longer then just a bucket of water.
Again thank you. I will eventually get some pics and show off my new bait bag. (once I decide what to do)

Richard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you really need a sabiki pole. We got lots of bait in AK, just using a couple of our lighter regular rods with the Sabiki rig. Often come up loaded with bait.

But are you seeing the big schools of bait fish in S. Calif regularly? If so --great. We used to see them years ago, but they were pretty much fished out. If coming back--great sign!

We prefer to use the trim tabs and a permatrim rather than put weight in the bow. The reason is that weight in the bow, probably should be moved to a more neutral position when you start running down wind and waves--as often happens when you run home in the afternoon. As you know some days it can really kick up by 4- 5 PM--if you stay out that long.

Good fishing!
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: transom mounted live bait bag Reply with quote

Very rarely do we see the large bait balls, Santa Cruz last time... plenty. I only was going to get it for full ease and I will mount it to clips on my full deck cover above me. Mostly thinking I will get mackerel and a small mack works sometimes. The trim tabs... I need some more experience with as they only seem safe when it is calm. My boat does have a (not working) thru hull pump and wash down quick connect. I think I will look into the transom mount bag and getting the in water plumbed (hard) , Otherwise I can't keep the water circulating while in route. Again all good points. About the stern weight, My boat does well, Gets on plane quick, seems ok. Now that I got rid of the kicker.
Thanks

Richard
nordicstallion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you didn’t get or read my email response. Trim tabs are only for side to side equalization or to compensate for a heavy/overloaded stern. I have permatrim on my main & it works great. I only use trim tabs for lateral trim, the permatrim pulls the down for chop. I don’t call my 9.9 a kicker, my main trolls slow enough for salmon. I won’t go out on the ocean without a get home motor, but that’s just me. Without it I would have ended up on the rocks or beach!! Some people’s testicals are bigger than mine but at least I won’t end up as a statistic! Good luck sorting out the new boat.
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: transom mounted live bait bag Reply with quote

I am definitely not knocking having a second motor, I thought it was called a kicker. Any ways, my boat leaned and the mount splashed the entire deck at 10 knots, so I removed it and now the boat (after water removal- a whole other nightmare) and its removal, the boat gets right up on plain and barely leans. I rely now on boat U.S. - if needed and of course if I break down, Pray for an anchor grab.
As far as my trim tabs, I just need some more experience as I made the mistake of correcting my lean while going opposite with the incoming swell. The boat was level, but then going over the back side...of the wave like swell, yes my wavos were very huge. but not on purpose.

haha,
Richard
nordicstallion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard. Your right,everybody but me refer to it as a kicker but as I said, my 70 hp main trolls fine so I only use my 9.9 hi thrust to get home. Only had one problem with the main since 2008 & that was due to those leaky hatch covers that Cdory cheaped out on when my boat was built, meant for vertical installation but they were cheaper. Replaced them with those meant for horizontal installation. Problem solved, no more wet batteries & wiring which is why my main quit in the first place. My best purchase was permatrim on the main. Now I only use trim tabs for what they were meant for. One lesson learned was never have your tabs or permatrim down in a following sea. Bow steering is the result & very scarey & dangerous. Good luck with the boat, I just love the 19.
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: transom mounted live bait bag Reply with quote

The expression "beating an old horse" Believe me, I am not trying to do that here. Thanks to all that Replied here and also the ones I PM'd . I did finally figure out how to post a couple pics (kinda) on my own.

I came up with my quote

"It isn't what its not."

Richard Beer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: