City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why are they called Mounties?"

The RCMP, commonly called 'Mounties' are Canada's national police force. They were formed in 1873 and did their march west to bring law and order to the Canadian prairie, then called the NW Territories. The settlers had not yet arrived, but the American whisky traders were wrecking havoc with the Indians. The Mounties needed to bring law and order to the Canadian west, make treaties with the Indians and make way for a peaceful settlement of the prairie. An interesting note was that the NWMP, as they were then called, was formed as a British Cavalry Regiment and was to be called a Regiment, but this was changed to Police at the last minute. There was fear that the force might be tested by the U.S. Cavalry if they were considered a military unit. The U.S. had eyes on the Canadian west as the American west was filling with settlers. Canada realized that they would have to occupy the land, so as not to loose it to the U.S..

The Mounties were dressed in traditional British Red Serge Uniforms so that they could be easily be seen by the Indians and others in the west. They still wear these Red Uniforms for dress occasions. Horses are used mostly for ceremonial purposes and the RCMP Musical Ride. Linked below is a short video that talks about the musical ride and a short history of the mounties. My neighbour was the commanding officer of the Musical Ride for 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZGR4-iBYE

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today they mount boats to protect people from weed. Times sure have changed - not sure if it’s for the better.
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point. Do the Mounties have a marine enforcement section, independent of the Coast Guard?

Andy Ryan

Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting point. Do the Mounties have a marine enforcement section, independent of the Coast Guard?

The RCMP works jointly with the Canadian Coast Guard for the purposes of Marine Enforcement. On many freshwater lakes they are the sole enforcement and patrol,

In an emergency on many freshwater lakes in Canada you would contact the RCMP, On Salt Water if you are unable to contact the Canadian Coast Guard, then you should contact the RCMP,

My nephew is with the RCMP dive team and provides dive services for rescue, crime enforcement and body recovery,
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All up and down the Inside passage in BC, the RCMP has boats. From 40-50 ft high speed catamarans down to 25 ft patrol boats. The RCMP can access any part of the BC waters by boat if necessary.

The Coast Guard in Canada is a safety/rescue organization that is not an armed force.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Pandion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
The Coast Guard in Canada is a safety/rescue organization that is not an armed force.

Someone please correct me if my hasty Googling has left me misinformed, but I gather that the Royal Canadian Navy has many of the the coastal surveillance and patrol responsibilities, "including general naval operations and exercises, search and rescue, law enforcement, resource protection and fisheries patrols," that, in the U.S., are functions of the Coast Guard.

In Canadian waters, which department—CCG, RCMP or RCM—performs the kind of random, on-the-water vessel inspections conducted in the states by the USCG?
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Canadian waters, which department—CCG, RCMP or RCM—performs the kind of random, on-the-water vessel inspections conducted in the states by the USCG?

Good question and with a bit of research my best answer is all of the above and maybe a few others.

The short answer from Wikipedia is as follows.

"Unlike armed coast guards of some other nations, the CCG is a government marine organization without naval or law enforcement responsibilities. Naval operations in Canada's maritime environment are exclusively the responsibility of the Royal Canadian Navy. Enforcement of Canada's maritime-related federal statutes may be carried out by peace officers serving with various federal, provincial or even municipal law enforcement agencies.

Although CCG personnel are neither a naval nor law enforcement force, they may operate CCG vessels in support of naval operations, or they may serve an operational role in the delivery of maritime law enforcement and security services in Canadian federal waters by providing a platform for personnel serving with one or more law enforcement agencies. The CCG's responsibility encompasses Canada's 202,080-kilometre (109,110 nmi; 125,570 mi) long coastline, the longest of any nation in the world.[3] Its vessels and aircraft operate over an area of ocean and inland waters covering approximately 2.3 million square nautical miles (7.9×106 km2)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Coast_Guard

With a small population, a very long coastline, millions of freshwater lakes, I think it comes down to who is available. In National Parks it will be the NP Wardens, in Provincial Parks it will be their rangers, in some areas it will be the RCMP or the local police. For fishing violations on 'salt water it would be the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and in fresh water it would be Provincial Fish and Wildlife Officers.

Most inspection of boats is carried out under Transport Canada. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-menu.htm

TC also uses the services of Volunteer Organizations like the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons for pleasure craft courtesy checks.

I think that a variety of Peace Officers can enforce the regulations of various agencies, depending who is available in the area.

I think that if dealing with criminal activity, like drug smuggling, they would call out the RCMP first and it is unlikely that they would involve the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. I also think that is is unlikely that they would use the Royal Canadian Navy to check if you have enough life jackets on your pleasure boat.

So, I think that in Canadian waters you need to watch out for all types of Law Enforcement Craft instead of just the Canadian Coast Guard. Best just to play by the rules and stay out of trouble.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 30+ years of visiting BC waters, I have never been stopped or inspected by any Canadian official. I also do not break the rules or act rude.

I would say that if you are fishing in a popular/crowded fishing area you might be stopped by a Fisheries Patrol vessel. I did get briefly questioned by an RCMP officer who was doing Fisheries Patrol activity at Big Bay, Sonora Island, BC. The officer was on the dock and asking each boat if they had any sport caught fish aboard (I did not). I used the opportunity to ask a couple of questions about the somewhat confusing fishing regs.

Another area where you might be stopped/inspected is at or near the US/Canada border. I have seen Canada border patrol vessels there.

Best advice is to try to follow the rules and act politely to everyone. Politeness is a Canadian thing, and it pays to act the same.
Pandion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter and Judy, that's helpful (why didn't I think to check Wikipedia?). In the states, too, there are literally dozens of organizations with authority (and, often, boats to back it up) to conduct on-the-water police activities. Coast Guard, Navy, U.S. marshals, Homeland Security, Drug Enforcement, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, National Park Service, state park services, Forest Service, state Fish and Wildlife, state natural resources, United States Postal Inspection Service, Bureau of Diplomatic Security, United States Government Printing Office Police (no kidding, they exist) ... local sheriff departments, local police, BATF, FBI, INS, BLM, BIA ... Who wouldn't want a boat? Who'd I miss?

So, anyway, umm, you're right: best policy, on either side of the border, is to just keep our noses clean. Rainbow
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-03-20/daily-marijuana-use-linked-to-psychosis-study-finds

Anyone who does not believe that this is on the rise in America is a fool or blind or naïve.

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-03-20/daily-marijuana-use-linked-to-psychosis-study-finds

Anyone who does not believe that this is on the rise in America is a fool or blind or naïve.

I would think alcohol causes much more psychosis and dementia than pot does.

For what it's worth I do not smoke.

I think the key word is moderation.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:

And marijuana use is obviously not the only cause of pychosis (or foolishness, blindness, and naïveity). Just the subject can have a detrimental effect.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“We are gods with anuses.”
― Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Aye.

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every several years I hear of someone else who is familiar with Becker.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only have I heard of Becker, I once took a class from him while I attended UC Berkeley in the mid-60s. He was quite a controversial figure around the Berkeley campus. Students loved him; the administration......well, not so much Wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: