Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the weather needs to clear so we all can get back to boating! It's life my friends, everyone gets to choose how they get through it and news flash for everyone, no one gets out alive.

Now back to your regular scheduled debate.

John
Scallywag
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the great "scientific journal" Huffington Post!~! And as Harvey says...

People can always rationalize what they do.... Including boating and C Dorys! :)

Yes it is a free country, and alcohol/drugs are evil. I pray that not one more kid has an adverse reaction, or does not become a chronic user. But that is not going to happen--and I consider that a tragedy.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Ken, I'll agree with your above post and therefore change mine from

"any recreational mind altering chemicals"

to

"excessive recreational mind altering chemicals"

Thats a slippery slope. Look I enjoy a beer like anyone else but pounding 6 beers taking a shroom or two and going water skiing while it may be fun is hardly prudent. the problem in my opinion is not one of availability. If you really want something you'll find a way... but rather of culture and responsibility. I see it all the time idiots on the water thinking its all a game.

I am not for banning substances but am for the full weight of the law being applied when people put others in danger even if they think they are not "excessively" consuming any substance. There should be a 0 tolerance towards this. Infractions should be dealt with harshly and enforcement should be a priority. (Not talking about jail unless someone is hurt - rather punitive fines and active enforcement). This applies to idiots flying past no wake zones etc too. I find in Portland there is next to no enforcement where for example down by west Lynn or up north by St helens they have responsible enforcement of the rules meant to keep everyone safe. I also feel like fines should be a % of annual income. Some idiot on a larger yacht who flies past fisherman in a no wake zone doesn't give two hoots about the 200 dollar fine rather if it was 10% of his annual income - he may care a tad more.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Brewkid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should have introduced myself Dr. Bob. My name is John Kassik. My parents own Kassiks Brewery, brewers of the finest, smoothest, most decadent "evil" you've ever tasted!

One should be careful with the self righteousness. Especially one who has possible peddled more than one gateway drug under the guise of medical pain relief. More than one finger has pointed at the medical field for the opioid epidemic.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting your guilty of any wrong doing, and I'm sure as hell not suggesting you're "evil".

For all my Pacific Northwest fisher friends, it's less than 1' today on the sound! Hope you get a chance to slay some salmon!

John
Scallywag
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Oh, the great "scientific journal" Huffington Post!~! And as Harvey says...

People can always rationalize what they do.... Including boating and C Dorys! Smile

Yes it is a free country, and alcohol/drugs are evil. I pray that not one more kid has an adverse reaction, or does not become a chronic user. But that is not going to happen--and I consider that a tragedy.

I second the prayer wholeheartedly. As to evil or not I read it as more of a flippant remark. Ie we all know they are not good in excess.

As to the opioid problem - I think it’s complicated, socioeconomic conditions, availability, what I would call the depression epidemic etc. I think we can all agree the substances themselves legal, prescribed or not are not the root problem rather the addiction a symptom of are larger societal issue. I also in regards to current medical practices believe the answer can’t always be a pill.

My theory and one I have spouted regularly is that the disconnect between work and survival (formerly humanity and all living living things greatest motivator) leads to too many people with too much time to think about how they feel. This sounds weird and maybe extreme but I don’t believe many people faced with choices of survival think about their mental state. This may be an unpopular view but I believe it to be true. (I’m not talking about worrying about how to pay the cable bill or missing a meal). I don’t have a solution to the problem but believe the never ending materialism is not helping. What happens to an energetic dog when he has no work to do, no purpose to protect or otherwise. (There is a reason German Shepherd put more people in the hospital than any other breed - though they are inherently one of the most loyal and hard working dogs). Yes I am equating is to dogs. Look at the romans - fat and happy we decay. (Yes I am fat and happy lol)
Brewkid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch, you're probably right. It was the long thread that pulled my chute. I'm sure he was only making a flippant remark and maybe I read into it. If so, sorry Bob! I like talking about hot topics as much as the next guy, sometimes I just hear a little more "I know best" comming out and cant stomache it...

John
Scallywag
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a facetious remark, my apologies. I was being a bit sarcastic and that I apologize for also. The smiley face didn't appear; apparently I had disabled smiles... I should have put "evil" in quotes. Mea Culpa.

Adults can make their own decisions. But I do get a bit upset when folks say that there are no bad effects from either marijuana (or alcohol), because there is so much on the internet which seems to promote the "safety" of marijuana, which teens use as a valid reason to smoke pot. We have made some inroads in discouraging tobacco use, but then we seem to encourage another smoked and inhaled material. (To be candid, I am guilty of smoking for a year, as well enjoying a pipe and cigars in the distant past, in case I have offended another C Brat.)

I love a micro brew as well as the next guy. But I do limit to one drink. That is a personal decision. I'd love to have a taste of the Kassiks brew.

As far as "Gateway drugs": I have prescribed some narcotics--mostly for terminal cancer patients, or on a very short term basis. Calif. has very strict laws on schedule II drugs. Also sedatives were given very rarely. In the practice of sports medicine (my last 8 years)--ibuprofen was given fairly often (which does have side effects also), but the university formulary did not have any narcotics. An antidepressant or sedative was given only after a psychological evaluation.

No harm, no foul, and I understand the pride in a successful brewery (only been to Kenai once, and it was before 2004.) I've said my piece (or peace)! CoolSmile
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the horrors of legalized marijuana have yet to materialize. I live in downtown Seattle (Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh No!) and have not noticed a change for the worse. I just read a National Judicial College report where they asked judges about the legalization of marijuana (in those jurisdictions where recreational use is now allowed). Quite a few judges commented that they had never had a case (as judge or attorney) involving a violent crime or domestic violence as a result of marijuana use. Domestic violence and alcohol seem to be hand and glove. Not that marijuana doesn't have its own problems, but the comparison of marijuana to alcohol is tenuous.

It is possible to point to deviant behavior and link it to recent marijuana usage, just as it is possible to point to deviant behavior and claim that the person was recently born again, or ingested steroids, or is a scrapbooker. Making a logical link is more difficult than making a claim. I have seen an apparent connection between marijuana and laziness, but I'm never certain that the person would not be a shiftless lowlife but for marijuana use. And then I've known users that can only be described as "extremely high functioning," no pun intended.

As to boating, I think I'd rather encounter stoned boaters than drunk boaters. There's a good possibility that stoned boaters would not even leave the dock.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If violence is the only measure - I agree 100% back in the nineties a judge in Bayern (Germany)said if all soccer fans smoked weed instead of drinking alcohol there would be no fights at soccer games. While I get this argument I think it is quite a mediocre one and certainly short sighted. Neither is better than the other. My issue is the hype around weed and advertising that has long been to some degree discouraged or not allowed with alcohol.
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are going all over the place. This is a good article in difference of attitude. For the record Germany prescribes twice the pills as holland does (still a fraction of what is prescribed in America) and has twice the amount of sick days than Dutch workers do. Never the less this is a good view point for comparison. The bottom line is that there is a direct correlation that has been proven over and over again between # of drugs prescribed by country and sick days. America is quite high on the list. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/opinion/sunday/surgery-germany-vicodin.html?referer=https://news.google.com/
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.consumerreports.org/prescription-drugs/too-many-meds-americas-love-affair-with-prescription-medication/
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are facts you may or may not be aware of:

DEA CLASSIFICATION (dea.org website)
Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently
accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the
most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe
psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis),
3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

ETHYL ALCOHOL

*Solvent
*Anti-infective Agent
*Central Nervous System Depressant, a psychoactive drug
**The oldest known sedative - goes back thousands of years.
**Historically, pharmacologically classified as and used as a
general anesthetic agent for surgery
**IV injection to treat life threatening alcohol withdrawal (Delerium Tremens - "DTs").
*Local Injection to kill nerve tissue (therapeutic neurolysis) for the relief
of inoperable pain (CA, Trigeminal Neuralgia [tic doloureux])and for patients
for whom neurosurgery is contraindicated.

Aye.
Someone said, "Knowledge is power."
Grandma used to say, "It's better to know than not know."

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of this summer marijuana will be legal in Canada. The Mounties have revealed their sobriety test for drivers. Since this is a federal law in Canada, the test will likely be the same on the water as on the roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLC_cBJwk4

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they called Mounties?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When what is now RCMP started out (ca. 1870), the primary mode of transportation was the horse. One of the original entities was called the North West Mounted Police.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: