City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Full disclosure, I never used mj, but have been where it was being used enough to know that it made my head feel "funny, like heartbeat in my head" feeling. Not something I liked. It was enough to cause me to avoid being around it in the future.

[Meant as a slightly humorous parody]....Full disclosure, I have used mj. It makes my head feel mellow and "tuned in" (especially to experiences I normally have a prejudice toward....such as new music that I don't understand). It is something I like and will be around it in the future.

Seriously, much like alcohol, not everyone enjoys it. Some people never drink, and some people never tote....both for good reasons. I've often wondered why some like mj and others don't. The best I can come up with is that when stoned most enjoy the loss of inhibitions and experience it as freedom; others do not like the loss of control and typically experience it as mild paranoia.

I too don't particularly like comparisons among mj and cocaine, meth, and other stronger more additive drugs. The best comparison IMO is between mj and alcohol (altho over-indulgence of alcohol is more debilitating than over-indulgence of mj).
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the question was simple. "Do I want to be addicted to anything?" the answer was "No."

The reasoning we (humans) do not know to what extent we could become addicted to something. Some drugs are more addictive, true, but given each of our individual genetic makeup, one drink, one toke or one taste or one shot could be the one that sends us over the edge into addiction. In my Mom's family there was one uncle that that happened to. Genetically, the possibility is there, so I just prefer not to play with fire.

To each his/her own. I have made my decision, and my boat is drug and alcohol free.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An opposite perspective: I responded to a call of a male who had posted a video where he killed the family's black lab. Wife reported it. She stated he had been smoking dope, daily, for months and as a result had lost his mind: paranoid, delusional, combative.... She had escaped the home with her children out of fear he would kill them. She stated he "was never like this" until he started smoking dope. He had in fact stabbed the dog numerous times and only due to our work in apprehending him and searching the home was the dog saved. Via investigation it was discovered that he had also burned the family's pet rabbit ALIVE.

Just one example. I have myriad.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, for or against MJ, many jobs won't tolerate it, and as a youngster, you may be affecting possible job opportunities later in life. I've never partaken, but I've been around those that have. I've also been employed most my life in positions of great responsibility that also include random testing. As for medical vs. recreational, I just read with interest. My mind isn't made up. However, I also see a lot of problems with alcohol, and have no tolerance for drunken idiots. Guess that kind of hints where I stand on that. Whatever you do, be responsible for it and live with the consequences of your choices. (We've had several incidents in Madison involving LEO's shooting dead drunks and druggees. No sympathy from me. Act like an ass, go berserk, disobey orders or attack a cop, expect to be shot. And if you are a family member of the deceased, understand they made a foolish choice that got them killed. Not the cop protecting them self or the public around them!) And yes, I'll have a glass of wine or a beer now and then, but then again that's legal. And I think I do it responsibly. Ok, enough politics from me on this forum! So, short answer, no pot on my boat. Wink Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recognizing the severe problems of alcohol...I have seen acute psychosis in the ER in a person who smoked one joint. (in fairness I have seen psychosis from many drugs as an "adverse reaction".) Also psychosis can occur without any inciting material or incident.

There is a debate in the medical community if all people who become psychotic after use of marijuana (one dose or prolonged exposure) had the underlying psychotic tendency and would have become psychotic irregardless of smoking the pot.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, once Pandora's Box has been opened, it's impossible to contain the demons...

IMHO, those who use any recreational mind altering chemicals have a problem
dealing with reality. They also risk becoming victims of our contradictory laws
and endanger their (and others) health and safety.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "Get high on life."

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
Bob, once Pandora's Box has been opened, it's impossible to contain the demons...

IMHO, those who use any recreational mind altering chemicals have a problem
dealing with reality. They also risk becoming victims of our contradictory laws
and endanger their (and others) health and safety.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "Get high on life."

People live longer that use mind altering drugs (alcohol included) in moderation. Mind altering drugs are usually taken while socializing and socializing makes you live longer and happier.

Cheers!
As Mark Twain used to say "be good and you will be lonesome"

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I'll agree with your above post and therefore change mine from

"any recreational mind altering chemicals"

to

"excessive recreational mind altering chemicals"

with the realization "smoking anything is still smoking" (the jury is in on that one)
and some recreational drugs tried just once cause addiction obviating choice
thereafter.

Any thoughts on how "users" help others in general or is their using merely self
satisfying indulgment?

Aye.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy posted----"Any thoughts on how "users" help others in general or is their using merely self
satisfying indulgment?"

Which led me to wonder; why should someone getting intoxicated, on anything whatsoever, be concerned with "helping others"?
When one enjoys wine are they concerned with helping others? When I have a cocktail I must admit that my thoughts are not on helping anyone at that particular moment and I am indeed merely being self satisfyingly indulgent. And why the hell not?
For me, if someone is not bothering or endangering anyone else then I consider it none of my business. I believe that this world in general and this country in particular would be much better off if more people did the same. Live and let live allows peace among neighbors and fellow citizens. The desire to control every behavior with which one disagrees leads to endless civic strife, which is where we are today.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am continually amazed that statements from those who consider pot dangerous, believing pot to be completely avoided as a matter of safety and health (physical and mental), can be re-written using the exact same words, except with the word "alcohol" substituted for word "pot"; and such a re-written statement would read just as well carrying the same weight and implications. And yet I see folks, including the vast majority of C-Brats, using alcohol all the time......and no one seems to worry about it in anywhere near the same way as they worry about pot use.

Don't misconstrue what I am saying here. I am comparing alcohol and pot as used under the same conditions: that is, mild use of alcohol compared to mild use of pot, heavy use of both, or excessive use of both. I've seen all of the above on boats both while anchored/docked, and while underway. I just find it puzzling that so many condemn the use of pot (even mild use), and yet hardly anyone says a word when alcohol is being used causally. (Clearly, everyone condemns heavy use of either when operating equipment and such.)

P.S. Recreational pot use is legal in my state of Washington.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tosca, I agree with your post above. But Pot is still illegal federally and in most states. Not my decision, and to be honest, too many other political priorities in my mind right now to really care much about which way the laws lean regarding it. (I'll leave the arguments to those more informed on the subject matter.) But, since the USCG can board in many of my boating locations, it won't be allowed on my boat! (or in my cars...since I travel through many states.) Colby
Foggy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
Foggy posted----"Any thoughts on how "users" help others in general or is their using merely self
satisfying indulgment?"

Which led me to wonder; why should someone getting intoxicated, on anything whatsoever, be concerned with "helping others"?
When one enjoys wine are they concerned with helping others? When I have a cocktail I must admit that my thoughts are not on helping anyone at that particular moment and I am indeed merely being self satisfyingly indulgent. And why the hell not?
For me, if someone is not bothering or endangering anyone else then I consider it none of my business. I believe that this world in general and this country in particular would be much better off if more people did the same. Live and let live allows peace among neighbors and fellow citizens. The desire to control every behavior with which one disagrees leads to endless civic strife, which is where we are today.

I did change my post to "excessive" use; hence the aftermath the least of which
includes 2nd and 3rd hand smoke (especially around kids), DUI, DWI, "gateway
drugs", current national health addiction rate, MADD, countless grief caused
innocents and families, cost to society, excessive incarcerations, domestic
violence, loss of work force production, etc, etc. Thus excessive may not help but
it can and does harm.

No problem with "moderation" if legal unless it's smoked - my personal pet peeve;
so addicted to fresh air I even burn wood hot and clean.

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:

People live longer that use mind altering drugs (alcohol included) in moderation. Mind altering drugs are usually taken while socializing and socializing makes you live longer and happier.

Cheers!

Ken, what scientific journal did that statement appear in? Was it peer reviewed? A lot of people use both drugs and alcohol in non social environments.

My observation is that scientific journals tend to describe some negative effects to long time marijuana use.

Publications which promote use the use of marijuana tend to describe beneficial benefits only. People who use the substance find reasons to continue to use it.

Definitely there are negative issues with long term abuse of alcohol.

On our boats; No drinking underway. Exception if offshore cruising, one drink with dinner for all except the helmsman. Racing--under two days, no alcohol aboard. Long races (like Transpac, cocktail hour at 6 PM those one can of beer or glass of wine--but nothing for the helmsmen. (Usually two per watch of 3 hours). We also had a rule, if anyone got drunk--they were off the boat. We had that happen once during all of our years of cruising.

I lost a very close friend due to "moderate drinking"...He apparently got up to relieve himself, at the dock, fell overboard and drowned.
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
ken35216 wrote:

Cheers!

Ken, what scientific journal did that statement appear in? Was it peer reviewed? A lot of people use both drugs and alcohol in non social environments.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/socialize-to-live-longer_us_55a95376e4b0caf721b2c310

Here is proof and it's hard to imagine putting up with others not in an altered state of mind! LMAO
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I just read that article linked in your last post. I see no evidence of "social behavior" including either alcohol or drugs (other than conversing with the coffee guy).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: