thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a significant number of marijuana users who become addicted (have physical symptoms if they do not receive the drug), and a larger number who have habit forming dependency (psychological dependance). There is also a documented sociological impact of heavy use. Unfortunately the "pro" marijuana groups tend to ignore this, proclaiming it "safe", because no deaths have been associated with "overdose". There are cases of cardiac disease associated with heavy use/contaminates in the material.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There are a significant number of marijuana users who become addicted (have physical symptoms if they do not receive the drug), and a larger number who have habit forming dependency (psychological dependance). There is also a documented sociological impact of heavy use. Unfortunately the "pro" marijuana groups tend to ignore this, proclaiming it "safe", because no deaths have been associated with "overdose". There are cases of cardiac disease associated with heavy use/contaminates in the material.

I would have agreed with you if you had included alcohol in your statement as we all know alcohol has both physical and psychological dependence at rates hundreds of times greater than marijuana. I don't see how anybody can logically claim one is better than the other. Disclaimer: I have an occasional beer and I have personally seen the destruction alcohol causes in families. I don't know much about marijuana other than what I read but I do know the few pot smokers that I personally know are far less dangerous on the road than drunks. Back to boating, no drugs or alcohol should be tolerated while operating a boat. I wouldn't mind breathalyzer checks for the registered boat owners upon return to the boat launch.
forrest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops must of hit the button twice
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally intoxicating substances have been enjoyed by humanity from the beginning. Any intoxicant will have its abusers. Many (the majority?) of those who enjoy natural intoxicants do so while doing no harm to themselves or others. To paint everyone who enjoys either alcohol or marijuana with broad stereotypical brushes is both naïve and counterproductive.

jd
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
Naturally intoxicating substances have been enjoyed by humanity from the beginning. Any intoxicant will have its abusers. Many (the majority?) of those who enjoy natural intoxicants do so while doing no harm to themselves or others. To paint everyone who enjoys either alcohol or marijuana with broad stereotypical brushes is both naïve and counterproductive.

jd

I'll drink to that!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:

I would have agreed with you if you had included alcohol in your statement as we all know alcohol has both physical and psychological dependence at rates hundreds of times greater than marijuana. I wouldn't mind breathalyzer checks for the registered boat owners upon return to the boat launch.

That is a puzzling response, considering your post about a sign on your boat--because I left out alcohol, you don't agree with what I posted-- but you would if I had mentioned the evils of alcohol?

I am probably more aware of the problems of alcohol (and mind altering substances) than most, having worked in charity hospital emergency rooms a number of years, practicing medicine for over 30 years and helping with a few marine accident investigations. I left alcohol out, since it is entirely another topic, and should not be equated with marijuana. I don't think that the average person has any concept of the problems with chronic alcoholics--The DT's, death with cirrhosis of the liver, massive intractable bleeding from esophageal varicose veins. Add in abuse of others; I started to get more graphic--and decided not ..Don't get me started!

My objection to marijuana propaganda is that it is "harmless". It is not. A fact not fully appreciated is that Yes, any substance, including water used to excess is dangerous. Problem is that many people do not have the innate judgement to avoid using any potentially mind altering substance when getting behind the wheel of a car or the helm of a boat.

My personal view is that why make more available other mind altering substances for our youth, and those who are going to abuse it? I fully realize the issues about incarceration, and crime.

The intent of the initial post was to inquire as to how states were handling a potential substance abuse issue, not to start an argument about use of substances which are federally illegal to posses.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime later this year marijuana will be legal across Canada. There has been a lot of discussion about driving while impaired by marijuana, but this thread is the first place where I have heard any discussion about marijuana impaired boating. How to test for marijuana impaired driving has been a big discussion with law enforcement up here. I wonder who will be checking out on the water. Boating and drinking is a common pastime. But now the question arises about marijuana impaired boating. Will there actually be an increase as people shift from illegal marijuana to legal marijuana? An interesting note, I heard on a radio program recently was that, we have been worried about our kids getting hooked on dope once it is legalized. The stats indicate that it will likely be the boomers that will be the biggest customers for legal marijuana as they are currently the biggest consumers of illegal marijuana. Don't worry about the kids, it's grandpa you have to watch out for.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol addiction typically affects 4-5 other people besides the alcoholic, and in major ways. Pot is less harmful.

Followed a family with a pot head husband, hard on the family but not as hard as when he could no longer afford pot and switched to meth.

Most pot users are not heavy users, nor addicted. IIRC, far fewer side effects from pot use than alcohol.

Pot is a downer, far safer for user, family, police, bystanders than meth, cocaine, or alcohol (which causes aggresion in many users).
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much to talk about, so little time.

I see the effects of it all, in real life, daily. One need only walk around downtown Seattle to see the results.

A. the illicit mj trade is alive and well. The financial incentive is too tempting and the risk insignificant here. The retail prices for "legal" mj are sky high, so the illicit market remains.

B. Anyone that thinks teenagers et al are NOT partaking in large numbers is either in denial or just plain brainwashed.

C. Comparing mj to meth, cocaine, crack or heroin is apples to oranges. That does not mitigate the fact that mj is a drug. It's effects are well known and it impairs. Period. Again, they call it DOPE for a reason.

D. Using truly sick people to forward an political agenda is despicable.

E. I heard from all the mj "experts" (aka stoners) how it's "cured", well, everything. Of course this will come as a shock to people who are dying of myriad fatal diseases. Any oncologist will tell you different, as Dr Bob has. But why let facts and science get in the way?

forrest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:

I see the effects of it all, in real life, daily. One need only walk around downtown Seattle to see the results.

A. the illicit mj trade is alive and well. The financial incentive is too tempting and the risk insignificant here. The retail prices for "legal" mj are sky high, so the illicit market remains.

B. Anyone that thinks teenagers et al are NOT partaking in large numbers is either in denial or just plain brainwashed.

C. Comparing mj to meth, cocaine, crack or heroin is apples to oranges. That does not mitigate the fact that mj is a drug. It's effects are well known and it impairs. Period. Again, they call it DOPE for a reason.

E. I heard from all the mj "experts" (aka stoners) how it's "cured", well, everything. Of course this will come as a shock to people who are dying of myriad fatal diseases. Any oncologist will tell you different, as Dr Bob has. But why let facts and science get in the way?

If you would have included alcohol in your rant you would have some credibility. But you didn't so you don't.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So True, and that is probably only half of it.

I have had patients who had medical mj cards who had to "dose" before bedtime. Usually that was after we had hooked them up for a sleep study (which includes many of the same monitoring leads as an EEG.) There were obvious changes in brain wave patterns from before (which would be the baseline and calibration section), and after which was the actual sleep study. There were changes in eye motion patterns, and in the brain waves.

Full disclosure, I never used mj, but have been where it was being used enough to know that it made my head feel "funny, like heartbeat in my head" feeling. Not something I liked. It was enough to cause me to avoid being around it in the future.

There are differences in the THC content of various species of the plant, but there are no variety that have no THC, the chemical that causes the "high". I have no idea of the THC content of what my patients had used. I do know that over several cases their were consistencies that were similar but variable.

That was enough evidence for me to confirm I had made a good decision way back when.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
localboy wrote:

If you would have included alcohol in your rant you would have some credibility. But you didn't so you don't.

forrest, The original thread is addressing MJ. No need to include ETOH in Mark's post. I agree that alcohol is also detrimentally effective.

BTW, I applaud your service with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:

The truth hurts.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another perspective. I work for a private corporation. Insurability by the company’s insurance company is a condition of employment. If an employee is charged as an impaired operator of a motor vehicle, they are considered uninsurable for a minimum of at least five years, which means employment is terminated. They may have a valid drivers license, but that does not matter because they are still uninsurable. If the company allows them to drive knowing the individual has had an impaired driver infraction, a legal term called “negligent entrustment” comes to play. Basically a private corporation is extremely liable by continuing to employ that individual.
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:

The illicit trade is indeed still alive and well - The reality is its cheaper than buying it at the store and guess what you don't have to go to a shop be seen there maybe by someone you don't want etc.

Look I am all for legalization and decriminalization of usage. However I am against the massive billboards and advertising - I saw a guy the other day dancing on a corner of the street with a similar sign like you see for mattress stores or liquidations except it was for a pot shop. I am very much against this.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: