The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

inspection port in deck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-hop chop

City/Region: Delaware
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Eyes 4-U
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: inspection port in deck Reply with quote

Any suggestions for cutting a hole in the cockpit deck for an inspection port. I am concerned of cutting into a stringer, any one have info or pictures of the hull under the deck?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: inspection port in deck Reply with quote

C-hop chop wrote:
Any suggestions for cutting a hole in the cockpit deck for an inspection port. I am concerned of cutting into a stringer, any one have info or pictures of the hull under the deck?

Pictures of what you are looking at would help. Don't think I have seen an 86 Venture, unless it is a sailboat. Also, Don't think there are any stringers under a Cape Cruiser or CD-V 23 cockpit sole, not sure if that is what you mean by "deck".

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lengthy series of posts on water under the Venture floor. It should give you guidance on where to put an inspection plate.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Hop Chop gives a hull number which shows a Cape Cruiser 2006 vintage. Probably #16 hull built.

C Hop Chop ask the moderator TyBoo (look at the C Dory member list) for an album. Tell us a little about the problem for which you want to put an inspection plate. I don't know if there are any specific supports under the cockpit deck. They are not traditional stringers as you find in many deep V boats however. The C Dory/Cape Cruiser line, have the balsa core, which gives that strength, where some hulls require stringers.
spd

City/Region: Mukilteo
Photos: spd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2007 Cape Cruiser Venture 23 and it has the support running fore and aft in the middle of the cockpit. The thread linked above is very helpful to this issue but can be a bit of a bear to get through.

If I remember correctly I think it was determined that Cape Cruiser started adding the support at about the same time it moved the water tank from the port side below the aft settee to the vee berth (i.e., if your tank is below the vee berth it is more likely you will have the support).

This photo isn't great but it at least shows the support:

C-hop chop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I am impressed with the knowledge of boats on this web page. Yes, I did not describe the boat or my intentions. My boat is a 2006 Cape Cruiser Venture 23. Because of a lot of concern I had read on this web site, I feel it is necessary to make an inspection hole in the rear deck and also in the v- birth area to assure there is no standing water or balsa core issues. I had been told the boat was stored in a airplane hanger when not in use, by the previous owner. I now keep it under roof when not in use. Awhile expanding the out building it did sit outside this last summer for 3 months. When winterizing the boat, I noticed tubing going into the void under the cockpit deck by the fuel tanks, and behind the frig. on the starboard side. I used a syringe to syphon out about a gallon of water mostly in the cabin void. the water was clean which tells me it is probably from sitting out this summer. Appears to be coming in from one of the railing posts. Is the void under the deck continuous from bow to stern or is it blocked at the rear cabin wall. And where would be the best location for inspection ports?
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-hop Chop, if you have not already read the 13 page link, please do so. It has a wealth of information on the boats--and as an owner it will answer a number of your questions.

Best Day, who had water under the floor, wrote:
Quote:
So the cockpit brace was added after number 29 sometime. If anyone else wants to add a deckplate on a number 29 hull or earlier you should be able to drill one hole in the center between the gas tanks. I now have one off center add was thinking about drilling another next to it just so it looks better.
. So that answers the question as to when the support was added. Since your boat was before #29, you should be safe. He also notes that there was water under cabin floor--and felt that there may have been some intrusion thru the tabbing...I have seen this in various C Dorys where the cockpit and cabin were separated by the solid aft bulkhead, but the tabbing holding the lower part of bulkhead to the bottom of the boat, either was defective or had poor adhesion, and water got thru to the cabin.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-hop Chop. Sorry for my abbreviated initial post, but your profile says you have a 1986 Cape Cruiser. Ow that you are noting a 2006 in your post it might be helpful, going on down the road, to update/correct that profile.

Your CD-V 23 is a great boat and one of the first power boats I ran when I first started looking, before I found my boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C-hop chop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all the good advice. I think I have enough info now to hopefully place a couple inspection holes, and address the water intrusion issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: