View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: This boat is an odd duck but has some cool ideas Reply with quote

http://haber-yachts.com/index.php?page=en-hb20-g

Link is to photos of a Haber 20 Mini Reporter, and the boat looks as strange as it's name! Built in Poland and just now being imported to US, this is a full displacement flat bottomed trailer trawer powered by a tiny outboard, gets amazing MPG, offers retractable leeboards (on a powerboat!) and floats in 9" of water! However, check out the interior of this 20 footer! And check out the big hatch in front cabin that gives access to bow. This is not a C-Dory competitor, much slower and inshore only. But it looks to be much more comfortable for slow cheap cruising than the Ranger R-21. In Europe they offer 5 to 8 horsepower but we rowdy Americans get the 9.9----yeehaw!
So what do the Brats think? [/url]

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of prices? I've googled it and can't see to find anything.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
AJF

City/Region: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne near Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have quite few interesting designs shown on their web page. Their hulls all seem to be self righting as well.
BillE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Haber 20 Mini Reporter Reply with quote

I emailed the guy importing these and he indicated that they begin around $60K with standard equipment, but of course there are options.

Now, about this boat being "odd", well, the European websites mention that the boat can be powered by human power, with two bike-peddling stations driving an electric motor! And, the helm is in the cockpit and you look through the cabin through two opening windows to see where you are going!

The company is not the greatest at clear info, but they make the boat with either a fixed keel at 16" draft or with articulating leeboards which yields the 9" draft. And, they make a semi-planning version which the US guys did not think much of as he says that it uses lots of fuel and still does not go very fast.

The maker refers to it as a "houseboat".
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like their 33 footer!

http://haber-yachts.com/index.php?page=en-hb33-g
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat boats and would be great for how some folks actually use their C-dories. Big difference would be the outdoor helm. Up here in the cooler region, that would be a non-starter for many. Interior on the 20 looks fantastic though.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These motor boats are basically the "C For of canal boats"--made for the canals of Europe (probably qualify for the narrow boats in England also). (You would have to ship it across the English Channel) The sail boats are .. well OK--but I would disagree with the statement on the web site:

Quote:
You can cruise around the world with a HABER yacht, sail to Paris by canal, follow the River Danube to the Black Sea or load the boat on the trailer and put it in your garden for the winter. Do you need anything more to be happy? We leave the answer to you!

In Europe each boat has a classification as to what it is capable of:

A Class A yacht ( boat ) is a vessel that is built to navigate the open ocean and surpass a force 8 on the Beaufort scale and surpass waves higher that 4 meters. These yachts are constructed to be self sufficient in hostile seas.

A Class B yacht ( boat ) is a vessel built to navigate on the offshore waters (200 miles and less) and can substain UP TO force 8 and waves UP TO 4 meters.

A Class C boat is a vessel built to navigate inshore such as lakes, rivers, bays and close to the shore and can sustain UP TO force 6 and waves UP TO 2 meters.

A Class D boat is built for protected or sheltered waters such as canals, rivers, small lakes and sustain a force 4 and waves UP TO .3 meters (less that 1 ft).

These are class D motor boats--waves up to one foot.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute as a kitten, but wouldn't do well in a Lake Powell wind storm. Also, the pudgy bow would be slaming into Powell Type waves. If it were 35 grand, I'd take another look.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
BillE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au contraire Dr. Bob, the Mini Reporter carries a C rating, so while nowhere near a C-Dory's capability it at least is not quite so restricted. At about the 7:15 mark this linked video shows them operating in a large open bay with a bit of chop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnpEk654ms

Anyone think that you could Loop in that?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
Au contraire Dr. Bob, the Mini Reporter carries a C rating, so while nowhere near a C-Dory's capability it at least is not quite so restricted. At about the 7:15 mark this linked video shows them operating in a large open bay with a bit of chop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnpEk654ms

Anyone think that you could Loop in that?

You are correct that the technical data says the boat is "designed" to "C" category--but I think anyone would be a fool to take that boat into seas which are 6' high. (Class C) Size of waves are always very difficult to judge in videos. But I would be surprised if the "seas" in the video were over 12" to 15". Designed to..vs certified, may be different.. (For example a boat may be "designed" to Lloyds specifications, but not be Lloyd's certified {that requires that each step be checked by a Lloyd's certified surveyor}) The design looks to me to be suited for canals and rivers--period. Could that boat do the Loop--sure, it could also do the inland passage...but there might be times of extreme discomfort and danger for a person at an open helm such as in this, if one realistically thought he could venture out in Force 6 conditions.

Force 6 winds are 22 to 27 knots and seas up to 13 feet and breaking...I sure would not want to be in the 22 mini in those conditions. This is beyond "Small Craft Warnings" conditions.

The Europeans have a habit of stuffing a lot of people into small areas. When we were cruising the med we saw a number of charter boats: Sailboats 26 feet long with 4 people; 32 feet long, 6 people; 36 feet long, 8 people etc...often these folks did not know each other before the "cruise"...they sure did after!
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill: You've been trying to find that unicorn boat for a few years now! I hope you eventually find one! Maybe the hunt is more fun.....

Minute 7:15 and beyond?!! Those look like very calm conditions to me. These Habers are 100% lake, river and canal boats. Now way would they work in my neck of the woods. I agree with Greg Aurelia about the outside helm. I need a pilothouse and a fully enclosed helm.

Definitely a cool boat though. There are so many neat European, Aussie and NZ boats out there. Australia has some really awesome rigs....

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
BillE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason I'm retiring in one to two years and intend to spend my time and money on a boat. In the meantime I check out-----everything!
I'm not sold on this Haber, I just think it an interesting design and another way to approach coastal cruising. I'm not going to do diesel in any form (though I love your Camano!) and I'm not going to bankrupt our family with an expensive boat, so I keep checking out affordable options with outboards that are comfortable enough for two people who are serious about comfort!
We are a bit too old and too picky to "rough it". I really admire El and Bill, they did it right, but we are a bit past that at this point in our lives.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
Jason I'm retiring in one to two years and intend to spend my time and money on a boat. In the meantime I check out-----everything!
I'm not sold on this Haber, I just think it an interesting design and another way to approach coastal cruising. I'm not going to do diesel in any form (though I love your Camano!) and I'm not going to bankrupt our family with an expensive boat, so I keep checking out affordable options with outboards that are comfortable enough for two people who are serious about comfort!
We are a bit too old and too picky to "rough it". I really admire El and Bill, they did it right, but we are a bit past that at this point in our lives.

Okay, gotcha. That's great that you're checking everything. I'm a compulsive researcher too....Just don't get analysis paralysis! I'm actually falling into that trap right now. I'm researching electronics, heating options and canvas upgrades. I've literally spoke to folks from all across the country, scoured the internet, asked questions, got different replies; So I asked again, scoured again, talked again. LOL. I've been diagnosed with an acute case of analysis paralysis. I've been told there's no cure....

Since you like outboards then I'd like to add 2 boats to your list. They are both trailerable, economical (to run) and very cruiseable. But I'm not sure of your budget.

1. The Great Harbour TT35

http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/tt35.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08oeVURsHpc

2. The EcoTrawler 33

http://www.trawlersmidwest.com/eco_trawler.htm

The TT35 is new and is SO amazing! They may have "broke the mold" with this design. A trawler with high end amenities that is still trailerable and so fuel efficient. Leaps and bounds beyond the Ranger Tug 31 IMHO. Maybe a good boat for Hardee in the future! TWINS

The EcoTrawler has been discussed on Brats before. They have had mixed reviews and actually only made a few boats but they are still quite intriguing. I don't like the narrow beam but some folks may. More suited for coastal and fresh water passages IMO. Good Loop boat!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, Nice try, just slipping that little twins comment in there Laughing Yup, I looked at the TT35 and it is nice on first glance. It weights only 2,000# more than my 22 Cruiser. that's pretty good for a 35 foot boat. It is powered with twin 60's Shocked and given that and the speed and fuel specs, I would really question that the two 60's can really do that. So, if I was interested, and I will look, first, I would want something in the 80 - 90 bracket. I would consider the 60's the equivalent to what my 40's are on the 22. Yes the can do the job, but there is really not much reserve. And it would take some getting used to to have that long bow out in front of the helm. It would be nice to have it forward another 4 feet, and to have the front window have a reverse rake to eliminate the reflection from the cabin. But other than those two points you are right on. It looks like a pretty appealing vessel. Of course, for trailering you will be oversize wide so will need a sign and in some states a permit filed.

Really interesting boat. Thanks for the trip down drool lane.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Jason, Nice try, just slipping that little twins comment in there Laughing Yup, I looked at the TT35 and it is nice on first glance. It weights only 2,000# more than my 22 Cruiser. that's pretty good for a 35 foot boat. It is powered with twin 60's Shocked and given that and the speed and fuel specs, I would really question that the two 60's can really do that. So, if I was interested, and I will look, first, I would want something in the 80 - 90 bracket. I would consider the 60's the equivalent to what my 40's are on the 22. Yes the can do the job, but there is really not much reserve. And it would take some getting used to to have that long bow out in front of the helm. It would be nice to have it forward another 4 feet, and to have the front window have a reverse rake to eliminate the reflection from the cabin. But other than those two points you are right on. It looks like a pretty appealing vessel. Of course, for trailering you will be oversize wide so will need a sign and in some states a permit filed.

Really interesting boat. Thanks for the trip down drool lane.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Personally, I'd like to have twin 150's on that boat if I was buying it but the small displacement 60's is what Great Harbour wants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: